u kde-desktop   KDE Plasma
u cinnamon-desktop      Cinnamon
u mate-desktop  MATE
i lxde-desktop  LXDE
u lxqt-desktop  LXQt
u web-server    web server
i print-service print service
i ssh-server    SSH server
u isenkram-firmware     Hardware specific firmware packages (autodetected by isenkram)
u isenkram-packages     Hardware specific packages (autodetected by isenkram)
u laptop        laptop

In the release announcement, the list of DEs was just an example of what's available rather than a full list.

I made special note of the i386 with pleasure too..

A total of nine architectures are officially supported for bookworm:

• 32-bit PC (i386) and 64-bit PC (amd64),
  • 64-bit ARM (arm64),
  • ARM EABI (armel),
  • ARMv7 (EABI hard-float ABI, armhf),
  • little-endian MIPS (mipsel),
  • 64-bit little-endian MIPS (mips64el),
  • 64-bit little-endian PowerPC (ppc64el),
  • IBM System z (s390x)
32-bit PC (i386) no longer covers any i586 processor; the new minimum processor requirement is i686. If your machine is not compatible with this requirement, it is recommended that you stay with bullseye for the remainder of its support cycle.

I didn't even perform a single i386/i686 QA test with bookworm, as I didn't expect any release to support it - and I was wrong !

I've still got an old IBM thinkpad running Ubuntu 18.04 that I'll move to Debian once I find my thumb-drive G that contains my Debian i386 image.. Not sure I'll use 12 though, but I'll give it a test.. the old GPU on that device generally performed better with older kernel stacks. Its not my only i386 device.. just the last still on Ubuntu I believe.

I have a favour to ask of any of you good folk who has actually installed 'Bookworm' already - can you run

Code:
apt policy timeshift

and provide the output here?

I am downloading the Cinnamon version currently, but before installing need to know if Timeshift is newer than 22.6.2.

TIA

Wizard

This is from a machine with debian testing, which at the moment is almost identical to bookworm if not exactly the same:

Code:
[flip@flop]$ apt policy timeshift
timeshift:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 22.11.2-1
  Version table:
     22.11.2-1 500
        500 http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages

and this is bullseye's version:

Code:
Package timeshift
    bullseye (stable) (utils): System restore utility
    20.11.1-1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips64el mipsel ppc64el s390x

and here is the "migration" from debian package tracker:

Code:
 [2023-01-19] Accepted timeshift 22.11.2-1~bpo11+1 (source) into bullseye-backports (Boyuan Yang)
[2023-01-17] timeshift 22.11.2-1 MIGRATED to testing (Debian testing watch)
[2023-01-12] Accepted timeshift 22.11.2-1 (source) into unstable (Boyuan Yang)
[2022-11-29] timeshift 22.11.1-1 MIGRATED to testing (Debian testing watch)
[2022-11-24] Accepted timeshift 22.11.1-1~bpo11+1 (source) into bullseye-backports (Boyuan Yang)

So it was in January 2023 that timeshift was up to 22.11.2... in debian stable at the time, well beyond 22.6.2.

While I have not installed it yet here is the output.
Code:
apt policy timeshift
timeshift:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 22.11.2-1
  Version table:
     22.11.2-1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages
so looks like 22.11.2-1 is the candidate to be installed.
You should be good to go :)
So far bookworm is preforming well here. No major bugs.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Bookworm supports a default btrfs layout and custom btrfs layout?

Though I have not looked into it. I believe from my reading that Bookworm supports BTRFS single disc formatting at install and you must modify it for multiple disks after install if needed. But I'm not 100% sure about that. Good luck.

I downloaded the DVD .iso installer yesterday afternoon (local time) and the checksum verified. The download from one of the approved mirrors was slower than a usual day, but not bad at all. Installation in a desktop virtual machine was normal. I selected Cinnamon over the default GNOME when the tasksel dialog appeared during installation. I have not tried it on an internet server yet.

I do not have anything to say about Debian 12 "Bookworm" Cinnamon really. I have not given it any time. The default desktop background is different than Debian 11 Bullseye. ;-)

Regrets on being slow to respond with thanks to those who provided the Timeshift info. :oops:

I have the Cinnamon Bookworm installed now, but with bugs due to my unusual situation of having 77 (currently) distros onboard.

That caused the installer (Calamares) to fall over - I chrooted in and installed Grub and it works mostly.

I am in touch with Debian's Bug Report people currently, and they are debating whether it is an issue for Calamares people or for themselves, we'll see what happens.

Error was

Command /usr/sbin/bootloader-config failed to finish in 600 seconds. There was no output from the command.

BTW Timeshift works fine. :)

Wiz

Members online