Debian 7.7.0 Live GNOME Kernel Failure?

B

bashcommando

I was installing Debian off my pen drive when I ran into this: When it prompted me to input a SSID(Not pick one from a list) I did what it asked. I found this odd since I had a ethernet connection, but I continued anyways. Everything seems fine but I want to start a web server. My model is a HP Mini Netbook, I won't have much traffic. Help?
Edit: I forgot to mention that once I typed the SSID and Password it gave me an error and prompted me again.
Edit: When I booted into Debian it works with my Ethernet but not my Wireless. It states that it is missing firmware.

Last edited:

I was installing Debian off my pen drive when I ran into this: When it prompted me to input a SSID(Not pick one from a list) I did what it asked. I found this odd since I had a ethernet connection, but I continued anyways. Everything seems fine but I want to start a web server. My model is a HP Mini Netbook, I won't have much traffic. Help?
Edit: I forgot to mention that once I typed the SSID and Password it gave me an error and prompted me again.
Edit: When I booted into Debian it works with my Ethernet but not my Wireless. It states that it is missing firmware.
Debian misses proprietary firmware by default due to its Guidelines. You need to download drivers first, put them on your USB drive and then install. After installation you need to reboot, of course.

You can get the Firmware packages and install them with dpkg.

You need to edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list, and change "main" to "main contrib non-free" at the end of each line. Then search for "firmware". On my system I installed "firmware-iwlwifi" in addition to "firmware-linux-free", and "firmware-linux-nonfree". Your system might need different and/or additional files.

Run 'dmesg' as root and look for any error and informational messages.

Members online