Debian installation Problem

it doesn't ship with a desktop by default

Debatable point. It comes with a box pre-ticked to install Debian Desktop Environment - Gnome. It needs to be unticked not to install it.

Attachments

• serveimage.png
    serveimage.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 546

Debatable point. It comes with a box pre-ticked to install Debian Desktop Environment - Gnome. It needs to be unticked not to install it.

You're right. Guess since it's been a while I last installed it forgot about that, my apologies.

Precisely my point, it doesn't ship with a desktop by default, meaning you can opt to install just text mode and from there install everything else which is quite faster and much more reliable.
Yes but at a certain point you have to select some mirror site to get the desktop from and after going through every single choice I could not get any further than that. I tried sudo apt install lxqt or gnome, but that didn't work.

I liked the idea of a minimal system with only a browser and choosing only what you want, but Debian is too technical for me.

No worries! I am on Solus MATE now and so far it's been a great mate. Hope it doesn't break after updating some time in the future.

I should have used the text based install instead of the graphical install method, it's easy enough. Good tip!

I liked the idea of a minimal system with only a browser and choosing only what you want, but Debian is too technical for me.

I like my system as minimal as possible too. I just created a VM using the Debian netinst.iso and installed awesome-wm which I did before and even posted here https://www.linux.org/threads/debian-netinst-in-a-vm.21971/ at that time I used the stable stretch branch but now I wanted to play a bit with the testing/bullseye one and it was quite easy to set up. I'm not expert but I don't find Debian particularly "too technical".

I chose the first option Graphical install and proceeded with the installation following the debian installer instructions which are quite straightforward.

And I think I know why I never reached the install desktop screen, you said
at a certain point you have to select some mirror site to get the desktop from

Well, I did get an bad archive mirror error and can't remember whether or not it happened before but that might be the reason that the only screen I saw was this and not the one you and @arochester did

And of course I didn't remember seeing it cause I didn't see it in the first place. In any case I didn't care since my plan was to install awesome-wm so, just hit enter and continue.
Once the install process finished I rebooted the VM which did boot to a console

Logged in as root cause I needed to install sudo which is not installed by default

then I needed to add my user to the sudo group in order to be able to install programs and/or update/upgrade the system
Code:
usermod -aG sudo my_user

rebooted the system
Code:
systemctl reboot

Now I logged in with my regular user and edited sources.list file cause there wasn't a deb source for bullseye, I don't think this is the case for stable but I might be wrong though.

updated sources with
Code:
sudo apt-get update
and installed the packages I wanted to

15 minutes later ...

The whole process took around 45 minutes.

I tried sudo apt install lxqt or gnome, but that didn't work.
Maybe you needed to install sudo first as I found I had to.

I like my system as minimal as possible too. I just created a VM using the Debian netinst.iso and installed awesome-wm which I did before and even posted here https://www.linux.org/threads/debian-netinst-in-a-vm.21971/ at that time I used the stable stretch branch but now I wanted to play a bit with the testing/bullseye one and it was quite easy to set up. I'm not expert but I don't find Debian particularly "too technical".

I chose the first option Graphical install and proceeded with the installation following the debian installer instructions which are quite straightforward.

And I think I know why I never reached the install desktop screen, you said

Well, I did get an bad archive mirror error and can't remember whether or not it happened before but that might be the reason that the only screen I saw was this and not the one you and @arochester did

And of course I didn't remember seeing it cause I didn't see it in the first place. In any case I didn't care since my plan was to install awesome-wm so, just hit enter and continue.
Once the install process finished I rebooted the VM which did boot to a console

Logged in as root cause I needed to install sudo which is not installed by default

then I needed to add my user to the sudo group in order to be able to install programs and/or update/upgrade the system
Code:
usermod -aG sudo my_user

rebooted the system
Code:
systemctl reboot

Now I logged in with my regular user and edited sources.list file cause there wasn't a deb source for bullseye, I don't think this is the case for stable but I might be wrong though.

updated sources with
Code:
sudo apt-get update
and installed the packages I wanted to

15 minutes later ...

The whole process took around 45 minutes.

Maybe you needed to install sudo first as I found I had to.
That's correct, I should have looked up how to install sudo on my mother's smartphone, done that and then the DE.

I not a big deal, because I have found that all the old software programs on Debian stable doesn't always mean rock solid stability on my PC.

I am trying Solus MATE now and so far so good! Just had the game 0A.D. crash last night, it never crashed in Zorin 15.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts