Debian Linux Install

J

Jblanda

i want to keep windows 7 on my PC with Debian as a second boot option, i have 2 partitions, one for windows and one for Linux. When i get to setting up the Partitions i hit manual and i am not sure what to set my partition as instead of "Do Not Use" Please help!

I assume that you are talking about the file system.
You need to choose the "Ext4 Journaling File System" for best results.
I suggest you also use swap area and allot about 1 GB.

OP said,
"i want to keep windows 7 on my PC with Debian as a second boot option, i have 2 partitions, one for windows and one for Linux. When i get to setting up the Partitions i hit manual and i am not sure what to set my partition as instead of "Do Not Use" Please help!"

If partitions were defined using a MS-based utility, it is suggested that a linux app, gparted ( http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ ), be used for partitioning. It is integrated into the installer of Debian. When installing the distro and receiving the don't use message, choose -- yes, use it; then format it as Harikrishnan R instructed, to ext4.

It may be easier to first define the swap partition as 1 to 2 gigs then use the remainder for Debian install, formatting it to ext4 and it thus being recognized in the linux file system as /dev/sda3, the swap being sda2. Then you may let GRUB2 install in the MBR.

Best wishes!

Members online