Debian Stable vs Debian Testing (Stability vise)

Stellaris

Reaction score
Credits
I got some information from Debian Wiki, but I still want to know whether there's any stability issues or security issues when migrating from Stable version to Testing version from experienced users.
I've been using Arch for a long time, so , outdated packages are little bit strange to me.

Better to run Debian Unstable if you want newer packages. Stable is more or less meant for servers and other applications where newer packages might mean a reboot or cause issues with custom software.
Unstable gets packages then they move into Testing.
Just make sure you install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges. And changes apt-listbugs to show "important".

Better to run Debian Unstable if you want newer packages. Stable is more or less meant for servers and other applications where newer packages might mean a reboot or cause issues with custom software.
Unstable gets packages then they move into Testing.
Just make sure you install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges. And changes apt-listbugs to show "important".
According to Debian Wiki, Debian Testing security updates are not maintained by Debian Security Team. Is it bad?
Also, according to https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21491829

Good to know. From https://wiki.debian.org/Status/Testing, here is some more detail:
>there is security support for testing, but in general it cannot be expected to be of the same quality as for stable:
>Updates for testing-security usually get less testing than updates for stable-security.
>Updates for embargoed issues take longer because the testing security team does not have access to embargoed information.
>Testing is changing all the time which increases the likelyhood of problems with the build infrastructure. Such problems can delay security updates in testing.
Am I better off with Stable in this case?

According to Debian Wiki, Debian Testing security updates are not maintained by Debian Security Team. Is it bad?
Also, according to https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21491829

Am I better off with Stable in this case?
I ran Debian Testing for years and years with no problems whatsoever. I don’t recall experiencing any breakages. No need to reinstall the OS between updates either, if you explicitly set up apt to track ‘testing’, instead of ‘insertToyStoryCharacterNameHere’.

I had Debian Testing running on my old laptop from version 5 to version 10 with no problems at all.

I was really happy with 10, so switched to ‘stable’. And since then have seamlessly updated to 11 stable.

Security updates are usually delayed by a couple of days in Debian Testing. But it’s not really a problem if you’re running Testing on a typical desktop/laptop. It’s really only a problem if you’re running DT on a server.

Because of the internet-facing services running on them, servers present a much wider attack surface for remote attackers than a typical desktop installation would.
So any servers running Debian Testing will be vulnerable to attack for longer than ones running stable.

So the upshot there is, don’t run Debian testing on a server. Debian stable will be much safer.

On the desktop, you should be fine with Debian Testing. As long as you have your firewall enabled and running, remote attacks are extremely unlikely. And even without it, you’re probably behind a firewall on your router anyway. But it’s still a good idea to have it running, especially if there’s any likelihood that you might connect your device to another network (e.g. at work, or in a public place).

And as long as you don’t regularly visit dodgy websites, or download and install any old crap that you find on the internet, you’ll be about as safe as you can possibly be from malware too, regardless of which OS you use, let alone which version of Debian you use!!

Last edited:
Testing has always worked well for me also. No major problems. But I don't use it on any servers. Just Desktop and laptops.

Well folks, I completely borked my system while upgrade to Testing (Devuan Daedalus).
Tried couple of times but always end with a kernel panic.
For now, I'll stick with Stable while downloading the softwares I want from Debian-backports.

Well folks, I completely borked my system while upgrade to Testing (Devuan Daedalus).
Tried couple of times but always end with a kernel panic.
For now, I'll stick with Stable while downloading the softwares I want from Debian-backports.
Ah, unlucky! I’ve never tried Devuan’s systemd-free fork of Debian, so I couldn’t comment. Using their testing branch might be a completely different scenario to using Debian Testing.

You asked about using Debian Testing, not Devuan!!

Ah, unlucky! I’ve never tried Devuan’s systemd-free fork of Debian, so I couldn’t comment. Using their testing branch might be a completely different scenario to using Debian Testing.

You asked about using Debian Testing, not Devuan!!
yeah my bad, I didn't think of mentioning it because there's not much difference between Deuvan and Debian beside the init system.

Of all the debian distros tried, I used Stable once. Didn't like it, so explored Sid. Had fun and learned much.
Best wishes and Happy Holidays!

Members online