Dedicate RAM to Video Memory on VPS

Modemi4

Reaction score
Credits
Hello! Is this possible to increase video performance on Linux Debian on VPS? For example, dedicate some RAM to be used as video memory?

photo5289479695538172329.jpg

Sorry for asking such a strange question, I am very new to Linux :)

Never be sorry for asking a question that's what we are here for.

Here's an article that discusses ways to improve video performance.

To change the amount of memory allocated to the onboard video card, you must change settings in the system BIOS.

IF your not sure how to change setting for your GPU (memory allocation) do some reading on the web.
Also, If your not sure what to do in the BIOS don't make any changes until you fully understand what to do.

See my signature line.:)

A VPS is a virtual machine so going into the bios of the virtual machine isn't going to be much to change, you're only way to improve video performance in a virtual machine is to change the virtual video card model and enable 3D video acceleration. With some cards you are then able to increase the video memory or it could be that the hypervisor needs to support it too, can't remember if one was enough or both is needed. But the real question is what are you wanting to do that would need extra video ram?

A VPS is a virtual machine so going into the bios of the virtual machine isn't going to be much to change, you're only way to improve video performance in a virtual machine is to change the virtual video card model and enable 3D video acceleration. With some cards you are then able to increase the video memory or it could be that the hypervisor needs to support it too, can't remember if one was enough or both is needed. But the real question is what are you wanting to do that would need extra video ram?

Thanks for the reply. This hosting runs a browser scraper and once the browser starts I get about 3 FPS and scripts that should hover things break because tooltip just can't appear or I'm getting wrong things hovered.

As long as host has enough CPU the only thing that must do this effect is lack of video memory

Never be sorry for asking a question that's what we are here for.

Here's an article that discusses ways to improve video performance.

To change the amount of memory allocated to the onboard video card, you must change settings in the system BIOS.

IF your not sure how to change setting for your GPU (memory allocation) do some reading on the web.
Also, If your not sure what to do in the BIOS don't make any changes until you fully understand what to do.

See my signature line.:)

Thanks for the reply, but maybe I didn't describe it clear enough :)

My hosting is not streaming video but uses VPS to perform some actions in the browser. But because of lack of video memory it can't work properly due to terrible lags

That's why I hope to improve exactly rendering performance.

And because it's an VPS I can't access physically I can't access BIOS too :(

So, I would be grateful if you suggest something I can improve even despite these limitations :)

Thanks for the reply, but maybe I didn't describe it clear enough :)

My hosting is not streaming video but uses VPS to perform some actions in the browser. But because of lack of video memory it can't work properly due to terrible lags

That's why I hope to improve exactly rendering performance.

And because it's an VPS I can't access physically I can't access BIOS too :(

So, I would be grateful if you suggest something I can improve even despite these limitations :)
Because of the limitations that you have I'm not so sure that you will be able to render a higher video performance.

What exact GPU do you have on that box?

You could try using ssh forwarding, that way your browser uses the firefox installed on your vps but it would launch locally, the only other option is to do a request to you provider to have them change the video card type and/or increase the video memory of the VPS if that is possible.

Last edited:
You could try using ssh forwarding, that way your browser uses the firefox installed on your vps but it would launch locally, the only other option is to do a request to you provider to have them change the video card type and/or increase the video memory of the VPS if that is possible.
Because of the limitations that you have I'm not so sure that you will be able to render a higher video performance.

What exact GPU do you have on that box?

Thank you both for help! Yesterday I just made some changes to the scraper so it doesn't have to move the screen. This was enough to fix it, so I don't need any further optimization. But I'm sure your answers will be helpful to anyone else who ever faces the same problem!
Thanks!

Staff online

Members online