Deepin 15.6 review

• Thread starter Deleted member 35560
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 35560

I decided to give Deepin 15.6 a go and purchased a disk for £1.15p including free postage!
Disk installs always take longer so it proved with Deepin. The install screen is good but quite boring after awhile. It seems to take ages to get to the log in screen. That is fairly standard. You have to remember here that the keyboard layout is US english not English - As this was only a test the password I used was only basic.

Once the install is done you are presented with the desktop for the first time. It has the fairly standard dock that other distros have and that is fairly easy to get around. Getting to set the language and keyboard took two goes before it was set. Connecting to the internet was easy as was the install of the printer. The wall papers are nice but limited.

Chrome Browser and Thunderbird are installed, but I found it surprising that Libre Office wasn't instead there was WPS and not complete office suite. I couldn't find a firewall even with a search. Software centre for easy install was also missing although you could download it and deb. packages were easy to install. I installed Vivaldi without any problems.

I did find during my test that Deepin froze when two applications were open, it did it when I had chrome and thunderbird open, something I do on Mint without thinking as I am often searching for a reply to an email enquiry . Apart from a restart I couldn't find a way around this.

Given more time and the inclination to do so, I have no doubts that you could get to love Deepin, but let's be honest, most of us just want a Distro that works out of the box and this sadly doesn't. I certainly couldn't recommended if for someone coming across from windows, Apple users might find it okay as would more experienced Linux users, but not the beginner. I personally think that the makers are trying too hard and need to get back to doing the simple things, for I do feel that if they were to do this, then it would really challenge many of the older Distros around.

I used a Scandisk Ultra11 480 SSD during the test and 12 GB of DDR3 RAM

Nice one Ptah :)

On productivity suite - WPS is produced by Kingsoft, a Chinese firm, and as Deepin is Chinese, hence the connection, I expect.

Cheers and avagudweegend

Wizard

Nice one Ptah :)

On productivity suite - WPS is produced by Kingsoft, a Chinese firm, and as Deepin is Chinese, hence the connection, I expect.

Cheers and avagudweegend

Wizard
Thanks I tried to be fair with this and give an honest opinion which I have found many reviewers don't elsewhere - too many fan boys out there and not enough peeps with open minds

Members online