Delete VS Not Delete Fat32

linuxnow

Reaction score
Credits
I’m not an expert at this but I’ve previously deleted and reinstalled windows. It used to be that you would do that by deleting the fat 32 in set up and then you could load whatever operating system you wanted. So I’m wondering what the difference is now when a number of online postings state that to load Linux you don’t do anything like this and you simply boot to the USB with Linux. Have computers changed or is doing it without deleting the fat 32 partition an inferior way of doing it?

Also, when you try to download something like Linux Mint, the website gives you a number of sources to download it from. Many are different universities. So when you download Linux like this and install it on your computer, does the place you download it from affect where it syncs up with to check for updates?

here’s an example of loading without deleting drive:

So I’m wondering what the difference is now when a number of online postings state that to load Linux you don’t do anything like this and you simply boot to the USB with Linux.
Linux Mint can be tested from a USB drive or DVD. But to use Mint properly, you need to install it into the hard disk drive. Tails Linux can be run from USB alone.

So when you download Linux like this and install it on your computer, does the place you download it from affect where it syncs up with to check for updates?
Where you download the ISO files has nothing to do with your system updates later on. After the installation, you can adjust the settings and set to download the update from whatever server that you like. Linux Mint provides lots of mirror servers for faster download. The best and probably the fastest server would the one closest to your physical location.

Last edited:
I’m wondering what the difference is now when a number of online postings state that to load Linux you don’t do anything like this and you simply boot to the USB with Linux.

AFter you have downloaded the ISO (Linux file) you then use something like Balena Etcher or Rufus to "burn" the file to a usb stick. (This ensures that the usb stick is bootable)

You then alter the boot order on your pc, and boot the pc to the usb stick

Linux will start

You are then running what is called 'live' mode (it is not running on the hard drive at this time)

On the desktop, you will see an Icone named 'Install Linux"

A double click on this will start the install process.

If you select to use the whole hard drive, then there is no need to do anything with the hard drive.

Linux will install itself and it will Wipe anything else on the HD.

That's it.

More questions?....fire away!

Is there a difference between going in and deleting fat 32 and doing it like it’s being described where you boot and then click the install button?

Not really

The Linux operating system will be precisely the same, regardless of which way you go

As far as where you download it from, that (as @MatsuShimizu said) is simply a matter of physical location more than anything else.

I actually download mine via torrent.

Members online