DELL Latitude 7300 Ubuntu 18.04 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD not detected + incorrect status

gg_

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I have a dell pc running only ubuntu, it's not a dual boot. Surprisingly, I powered it on and found a weird critical error message:
InkedFBF15839-1D5B-48FF-AA46-68ED7AA9C351_LI.jpg

I have searched everywhere, I tried all the tricks that I know like removing the drive, removing the battery but till now, the problem is still unresolved. On the dell forum, no one seems to have a solution and it's like I will have to change the disk. But I m worried about my data on the disk and how I can fix or at least recover my files.

Anyone has an idea on how to deal with that ?
Kudos

It appears to be looking for a small UEFI partition on your main drive, if you have done a clean installation to use complete disc its probably gone. The only thing I can think may work, is go into Bios and turn off UEFI

It appears to be looking for a small UEFI partition on your main drive, if you have done a clean installation to use complete disc its probably gone. The only thing I can think may work, is go into Bios and turn off UEFI
The drive is new and came from dell with only ubuntu 18.04 installed on it, I asked it to be like that-
I tried to turn off UEFI, it didnt work either.

Your hard drive is dead. It's replaceable under warranty.

(Follow the instructions given in the error.)

Your hard drive is dead. It's replaceable under warranty.

(Follow the instructions given in the error.)
That's what it seems like - but replacing it it's not the option I was looking for, I wonder if there is not any option to recover some data.

You can use a live USB, made with something like Balena Etcher on a different system, and then start this device with the USB in place. You'll probably need to tell the BIOS to boot to USB (at least temporarily).

Then, you'll see if you can access the drive inside the computer. If not, the data is lost. If so, you can recover it by saving it to an external drive.

Linux does many things, but repairing truly broken hardware is beyond the scope of Linux.