• We did not send an email asking for donations - please read this post.

Dell latitude D600 & D610

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
The Latitudes have always been well thought-of.

I am not sure if this is still true, but Dell used to use only proprietary power supplies. If your PSU died, you couldn't replace it with a standard PSU. The mobo too used to be proprietary. You couldn't put a standard motherboard in should yours fail for some reason.

Dell was not alone in that Compaq used to do the same thing.

Still, I find those to be valid complaints against a Dell Latitude. (Assuming it's still true, I have no idea if it is or not. If a PSU dies, I remove the HDD and maybe the RAM and send it in for recycling.)

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
but Dell used to use only proprietary power supplies
my 2010 Insperon needed a new psu, about 8 years ago, I got a pattern part and it worked perfectly [and still is] the only problem is at the time of manufacture Del fitted several different connectors to the machines , [that were not interchangeable]

MikeWalsh

Reaction score
Credits
@KGIII :-

TBH, proprietary PSUs/mobos apply across the board. Every laptop manufacturer does it; there is no such thing as a 'standard' laptop mobo OR PSU, in the way that desktop PCs use standards-compliant replacement parts.

That last is why I normally run a desktop, since anything that needs replacing needs far less researching than equivalent laptop parts.....and is ten times easier to replace when the need arises.

But I agree with @Brickwizard ; I, too, have never had problems with Dell 'pattern' parts. The old Inspiron that died the other week, and prompted this purchase went through 4 battery packs and two 'power-bricks' during its 20-year lifespan. All were 'pattern' parts; none ever gave me the slightest bit of trouble......and the surviving PSU is still fully-functional after nearly 8 years.....although I no longer have anything it will work with, due to its odd connector.

Mike. ;)

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I much rather people adhere to standards - as there's no reason (other than greed) not to do so, at least in the desktop world. We don't really have much in the way of standards in the mobile sector, though we probably should. That was one of the reasons OLPC was not as good as folks initially hoped.

Heck, that's one of the reasons I use Linux. I can most generally stick to the open standards (with some exceptions, where I deliberately pick closed source solutions). If I found a laptop that used a universal standard battery pack, that'd certainly factor into my purchasing decision.

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
I much rather people adhere to standards
I remember when I took up driving as a profession, I never had the same people in my team, every agency driver would have a different make/model of mobile phone but never carried a charger, so I bought and carried a cigarette lighter adaptor to usb, and an octopus [although mine had 14 legs] I could charge almost any phone form its phone terminal connectors, only within a couple of years new phones came out with yet more different connectors, and after all these years there is still no single standard

MikeWalsh

Reaction score
Credits
Well, I got my 'pattern' 9-cell high-capacity replacement battery pack on Friday. Fits perfectly; works fine. Even got the little LED battery 'condition' meter on the underside.....which also works A-OK.

Touch wood, we'll see how it goes....

Mike. ;)

Bartman

Reaction score
Credits
I am not sure if this is still true, but Dell used to use only proprietary power supplies. If your PSU died, you couldn't replace it with a standard PSU.
I know at one time Dell used a weird power plug in their laptops.

I believe most now are the round barrel with center pin male power plug.

A trip to any thrift store you can find an oem dell laptop power supply adapter for a $1.00 or less.
You must be willing to dig through the pile of tangled power supply adapters thrown in a basket.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pWkAAOSwdSRaAtCP/s-l400.jpg

MikeWalsh

Reaction score
Credits
@Bartman :-

That's almost identical to the one that came with my D630. The connector is, as you say, the round barrel one; seems to be what Dell standardised on in later years, because all newer Dells I've seen have the same type. The one difference with mine is that the mains lead, where it plugs in, has a neat 180-degree plug, which routes the lead back across the power-brick.....and this, along with a nice slotted rubber tie-strap, makes it very easy to pack away for storage.

Much tidier than my old one! AND.....it seems to run a lot cooler than my old one, too.

Mike. ;)

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Members online

Latest posts