Solved Desklets Ubuntu Cinnamon

Solved issue

DavePM

Reaction score
Credits
For some reason I am unable to get the settings option to work on the desklets. When I click on the option on the right nothing happens.

When I had Mint installed this was the way I could change the settings.

Hmm...

Open your terminal and enter the following:

cinnamon-settings desklets

Then, try to click on the settings. Does anything show up as an error in the terminal?

Ubuntu Cinnamon and Linux Mint both use the Cinnamon desktop environment, so in theory, the way you manage desklets should be the same. However, different distributions can sometimes behave differently due to variations in the underlying system or because of bugs.

Here are a few things you could try to diagnose and potentially resolve your issue:

1. Check for updates: It's possible that this is a known issue that has already been fixed in an update. Open your terminal and type the following commands to update your system:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    After this, restart your computer and check if the problem still exists.

2. Reinstall Cinnamon desklets: If updating doesn't work, you can try to reinstall Cinnamon desklets. Here's how to do it:
    Code:
    sudo apt remove cinnamon-desklets
    sudo apt install cinnamon-desklets
    Again, after the installation, restart your computer and see if the problem is resolved.

3. Check for error messages: If you're still having trouble, you might be able to get more information about what's going wrong by looking for error messages. Run the Cinnamon Looking Glass by pressing Alt+F2, typing lg, and hitting Enter. Then, go to the 'Errors' tab to see if there are any relevant messages.

4. Use the terminal to change desklets settings: If the graphical user interface is not working, you can try using the terminal to change the desklets settings. To do this, you will need to know the UUID (unique identifier) of the desklet. You can find this by looking at the folder name of the desklet in the ~/.local/share/cinnamon/desklets directory.

Once you know the UUID, you can use the dconf tool to change the settings. For example, to change the 'size' setting of a desklet with UUID 'my-desklet@my-domain':
    Code:
    dconf write /org/cinnamon/desklets/my-desklet@my-domain/size 300
    You would replace 'my-desklet@my-domain' with your desklet's UUID, and '300' with the size you want.
Remember to always be careful when running commands as the superuser with sudo, as it gives the command full access to your system.

Hmm...

Open your terminal and enter the following:

cinnamon-settings desklets

Then, try to click on the settings. Does anything show up as an error in the terminal?

Ok I tried that and it opened the desklets but it did not change anything.

Check for updates: It's possible that this is a known issue that has already been fixed in an update. Open your terminal and type the following commands to update your system:
This did not work and I tried the above before and after doing this.
Reinstall Cinnamon desklets: If updating doesn't work, you can try to reinstall Cinnamon desklets. Here's how to do it:
Did this and it also did nothing

heck for error messages: If you're still having trouble, you might be able to get more information about what's going wrong by looking for error messages. Run the Cinnamon Looking Glass by pressing Alt+F2, typing lg, and hitting Enter. Then, go to the 'Errors' tab to see if there are any relevant messages.
No errors show up at all when doing this.
Use the terminal to change desklets settings: If the graphical user interface is not working, you can try using the terminal to change the desklets settings. To do this, you will need to know the UUID (unique identifier) of the desklet. You can find this by looking at the folder name of the desklet in the ~/.local/share/cinnamon/desklets directory.
At this stage I am a bit hesitant of doing something like this.

These are the desklets that I have installed and the two at the top were the new ones I was trying to setup. However even the default ones I cannot seem to change.

1683964777375.png

Hit Alt+F2, type r, and press Enter

I have even tried this and no change so maybe I need to just start over with a fresh install.

Code:
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install cinnamon-desktop-environment

It could possibly be a bug. Before starting over, I'd check in with the Ubuntu Cinnamon folks.

It could possibly be a bug. Before starting over, I'd check in with the Ubuntu Cinnamon folks.

Not sure where exactly I would find this site to ask them doing a search seems to give me a number of sites that might be the official site for this one.

This site that I would have thought would support it does not seem to have a working support page.

So I thought I would try removing Cinnamon from the Ubuntu to see if it would work on the default Ubuntu install.

I used the following

Code:
sudo apt-get purge cinnamon
sudo apt-get autoremove

It did remove it but now I cannot log into Ubuntu using my password it just does not accept it.

I am now downloading Ubuntu straight will install that and see if it works then install the Cinnamon after that.

I have now sorted this out by installing Ubuntu and then only installing Cinnamon. This is a bit of a process so maybe another thread will be needed for that.