Desktop environments like Trinity not working in Fedora 36 Linux.

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a pc with Intel i3 10th gen processor and asus prime h 510 me motherboard and I have installed Fedora 36 Linux and after that I have installed desktop environments like gnome, kde plasma, xfce, mate etc., and everything is working fine but desktop environments like lumina, pantheon, Trinity desktop environment are not working properly.

In lumina desktop I can't see window borders properly. In pantheon desktop after doing some work and after some time the screen turns off and when I try to see what is going on there is no window which asks password to enter into system instead I am getting a blank black screen. While using another desktop environment like mate when the screen is locked I am able to resume by entering password.

Coming to Trinity desktop environment nothing is working fine. I am able to login successfully into it by when I open apps like konsole and run tools like ffmpeg I can't see anything in the terminal emulator. When I open file manager like konqueror I can't view files present in my home directory and even I have waited upto 5 minutes and there is no progress at all.

For Trinity desktop environment first I have added Trinity desktop repo and after that I have installed trinity-desktop meta package including all dependencies. Similarly I have installed lumina pantheon desktop environments from Fedora rpm fusion repositories.

If you want I am ready to provide any output of commands or logs to you. Kindly try to suggest how to make desktop environments like lumina pantheon Trinity work properly.

Regards,
Rupesh.

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
Hello @rupeshforu3,
Welcome to the linux.org Forums,
I'm no expert on differing DE's here. Have used many over the year. But with Fedora 36 I think the problem maybe the Wayland manager. The DE's you mentioned having problems with have most likely not been updated to accept some of waylands parameters yet. I'm just guessing so take this with a grain of salt. Wayland was primarily developed to use with Gnome. But other DE's have modified there DE's to accept it. You may find if you boot back to Xorg you will see Trinity at least will work.
Good luck and enjoy the Journey!
This page may be helpful in understanding the differences.

Last edited:
OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
At present I am using sddm display manager may I know how to make work properly Trinity desktop environment with sddm.

If there's any way to make work try to suggest and if it's not possible leave it.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
If I use other display manager like lxdm etc., Is there any way to make work properly Trinity desktop environment.

Trinity has its own display manager called tdm.

Can I use tdm as default and expect all other desktop environments like kde plasma Wayland, gnome Wayland work properly.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation