Desktop tab flashing

james80

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I installed the last mint 20.3, re insatlled 2x to be sure, cinnamon edition and mint, and after some times, maybe some hours, if I use audio, the right tab (wifi, audio, bluetooth etc ) is flashing, tremble non stop, even after reboot.

Idea abou that problem? (I've uploaded a short video, screencast to show the situation)

thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2022-02-10 15-37-08.png
    Screenshot at 2022-02-10 15-37-08.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 222

G'day james, Welcome to Linux.org

Does this happen in all audio situations?....eg with music/mp3...etc ?

Do you have PAVC installed ?
(pulse audio volume control)

Available in repositories....Software manager......click menu...type in software manager....type in pulse audio volume control....install it..

I f you click on the blinking icon will it open ?......if so what is there ?....any error message etc ?

Have you allready installed de video card drivers?

G'day james, Welcome to Linux.org

Does this happen in all audio situations?....eg with music/mp3...etc ?

Do you have PAVC installed ?
(pulse audio volume control)

Available in repositories....Software manager......click menu...type in software manager....type in pulse audio volume control....install it..

I f you click on the blinking icon will it open ?......if so what is there ?....any error message etc ?
Hi,

yes pulse is installed, when I click on the icon, everything is fine, I have the pulse audio controller and sometimes the pulse audio is flashing too, and lost connection

Why did you
re insatlled 2x to be sure
.....why was this necessary..??.....what happened to send you down the path of repeated installs?

I have nvidia geforce 630, yes the drivers have been automatically installed.
Normally in Mint the drivers for Nvidia cards are not installed automatically you will need to go to Menu>Administration>Driver Manager to install the correct driver for your Nvidia card. The driver that comes with a native install of Mint is Nouveau open source driver. It can be buggy depending upon your Nvidia card. That may be the problem. Go to Driver manager and make sure the recommended driver is installed for your card.
Also sometimes with some programs the theme you are using can be problematic. If the Nvidia driver is not solve the issue you may want to try a different theme.

By the way the GT630 is quite old now and may not be well supported in the newest versions of Mint /Ubuntu.

Last edited:
Also sometimes with some programs the theme you are using can be problematic. If the Nvidia driver is not solve the issue you may want to try a different theme.
you mean? I have mint-Y-Dark

Go back and read my post again I've added some stuff.
Try the Nvidia drivers first.
Then if that does not work try a different theme.
You may find that MX linux would work better with that card.

Go back and read my post again I've added some stuff.
Try the Nvidia drivers first.
Then if that does not work try a different theme.
You may find that MX linux would work better with that card.
you are right, I had the Nouveau open source drive, but when I try to install the nvidia 390 driver, I get that:

Attachments

• driver.png
    driver.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 207
WARNING:root:_pkg_get_support nvidia-driver-390: package has invalid Support Legacyheader, cannot determine support level
== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:27:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd00000F00sv000019DAsd00006199bc03sc00i00
vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
model : GF108 [GeForce GT 630]
driver : nvidia-driver-390 - distro non-free recommended
driver : nvidia-340 - distro non-free
driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

As I said before the gt630 card is pretty old and you may not be able to get support for it on newer versions of Linux.
Give MX-linux a try see if it will work for you?
As far as nouveau goes it will work with that one but you need to append the nomodeset parameter to the boot line to get it to work properly. See here. Scroll down to this section Solving freezes during the boot sequence and follow the instructions given there.

Last edited:
As I said before the gt630 card is pretty old and you may not be able to get support for it on newer versions of Linux.
Give MX-linux a try see it it will work for you?
or I can buy a basic gpu card, but i just need a basic card, I don't play game

if you decide to get a new gpu try to go with intel they are well supported in the linux kernel.

Before getting a new card, you can try older versions of the driver. Like 380, 370, etc.

Maybe is good idea to uninstall the driver you have now and then try with a few others.

Before getting a new card, you can try older versions of the driver. Like 380, 370, etc.

Maybe is good idea to uninstall the driver you have now and then try with a few others.
I uninstalled the nouveau driver from open source and I've installed the 340 and it was not Working, so for now I re install the nouveau,.and I will see..
Thanks

Members online

Latest posts