Desktop / Wayland / X?

dyfet

Reaction score
Credits
For a long time, I had no system that would even run Wayland successfully. I always had the wrong video hardware, whether the one quirky intel chipset that it always failed to sync correctly on and they chose to skip, or rather old radeon gpus. Very recently I have found, much to my surprise, Wayland now works on all of them, and actually works rather well. This was true for me for both Fedora and the latest Ubuntu. Of course this doesn't solve the problem of Xfce working on Wayland, but I can run other things when using Wayland, and it did suggest my decade or more older hardware may even have another decade (or more) of life left. It also made me consider, given that some major distros now default to Wayland, should the title name for this forum be changed to include W or Wayland?

I use Wayland on my old junk desktops and it works good with 20.04 and 22.04 Ubuntu.

Wayland seems to work good on Intel graphics and AMD/ATI graphics.

Wayland has been problematic on some of my old Nvidia graphics cards, this isn't surprising as Nvidia has been problematic in Linux.

Wayland works good on my old junk desktops without complaints.

There's already an Wayland topic that has been ongoing, I think it would be a better idea to continue there?

Or to avoid a bunch of characters, just "Desktop". It's a forum, so 'discussion' is a bit redundant.

Heck... We almost looked productive and attentive!

Don't wanna do that too often. People might come to expect it!

Members online