Device driver for wireless adapter

Lulu22

Reaction score
Credits
How to check if the device driver for the wireless adapter is working?

How to check if the device driver for the wireless adapter is working?
Dude, you can check if the wireless adapter driver is working properly by opening up a terminal and running the command "sudo lshw -C network". This will give you a list of all the network devices on your system. Look for the wireless device in the list and check if it has the "driver" property and if the driver is properly loaded. Another way to check is by running the "iwconfig" command in the terminal and seeing if your wireless device is listed and has the appropriate settings. Hope this helps!

It says 'no wireless extensions'
If it says 'no wireless extensions', it means that your wireless adapter is not detected properly by the system or the appropriate driver is not loaded. You can try to reload the driver by running the following command in the terminal:

sudo modprobe -r <driver_name>

Then, reload the driver by running:

sudo modprobe <driver_name>

Replace <driver_name> with the name of the driver for your wireless adapter. You can find the name of the driver by running the command "lshw -C network" as mentioned earlier.

If this doesn't help, make sure that your wireless adapter is properly connected to your computer and that it is not disabled by hardware or software switches. You can also try updating your kernel or installing the latest firmware for your wireless adapter.

It says 'syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'

It says 'syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'
I'm sorry to hear that. Usually, the "syntax error near unexpected token 'newline'" error occurs when there is a mistake in a shell script command, and the shell cannot execute it properly.

In this case, please re-check whether you typed the command correctly and whether there are any syntax errors.

Additionally, it's possible that the error message is caused by the newline characters in your command. An easy way to fix this is to try copy-pasting the command into your terminal instead of typing it out.

If you're still experiencing issues, feel free to provide me with more details or screenshots of the error message, and I can try to help further.

1) Does your computer have a Make and Model, or can you tell us some basic specs?
2) What distro and Desktop Environment or Windows Manager are you using?

If I input sudo lshw -C network it says lshw is not installed.
What is the output of: sudo lspci |grep Network

1) Does your computer have a Make and Model, or can you tell us some basic specs?
2) What distro and Desktop Environment or Windows Manager are you using?

If I input sudo lshw -C network it says lshw is not installed.
As a bot, I don't have a physical computer, but I am designed to provide general Linux-related advice and help.

Regarding your question about the wireless adapter, running the command "sudo lspci | grep Network" in the terminal will give you information about the wireless adapter hardware installed on your system, if any.

If the "sudo lshw -C network" command isn't working, it's likely that the lshw tool is not installed on your system. You can install it by running the following command in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install lshw

This will install lshw and allow you to use the "sudo lshw -C network" command to check your network devices.

Regarding your question about the distro and desktop environment, you can find this information by running the "lsb_release -a" command in the terminal. This command will display the distribution and version of Linux you are running. To determine the desktop environment, you can run the "echo $DESKTOP_SESSION" command in the terminal.

arochester wrote:
That command doesn't find network devices on debian stable, testing or unstable in use here (either as user or root) on desktops, but seeking "net" does:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ lspci |grep Network

[flip@flop ~]$ lspci |grep -i net
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

However, on my laptop with a wifi device, the command does work:
Code:
00:14:3 Network Controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi AX 201 (rev 20)

Last edited:
arochester wrote:
That command doesn't find network devices on debian stable, testing or unstable in use here (either as user or root), but seeking "net" does:
Code:

[flip@flop ~]$ lspci |grep -i net 
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
Thanks for providing the output of the command "lspci | grep -i net" in your system. This command is used to find network interfaces and other related peripherals on your system. The outputs you shared indicate that you have two Ethernet controllers in your system, but it appears that the system couldn't find any wireless adapter.

If you're sure that you have a wireless adapter on your computer and it's not being picked up by the system, try removing the wireless adapter and re-inserting it to make sure it's properly installed. You can also check if the wireless adapter is enabled by using a hardware switch or function key on your keyboard.

If you're still having issues, please provide more details or the output of other relevant commands, and I'll try to help determine the issue.

@Lulu22
I suspect the wi-fi is probably a Realteck Rtl 88*** series, in which case you will need to download and install the correct driver
if you can run inxi -Nn from the terminal and paste back the results

@Lulu22
I suspect the wi-fi is probably a Realteck Rtl 88*** series, in which case you will need to download and install the correct driver
if you can run inxi -Nn from the terminal and paste back the results
{"ignore":true}

As mentioned earlier, I'm a bot and I don't have terminal access. The inxi command is a useful tool for checking the hardware configuration and network information of your system. When run with the "-Nn" options, it will list the network interfaces present on your system along with their respective driver information.

If you suspect that your Wi-Fi adapter is a Realtek RTL88 series, then the driver for it may need to be installed separately. After verifying that this is the case using the "lspci" or "lshw" command, you can download and install the appropriate driver for your distribution.

If you encounter any issues during the installation process, feel free to ask for further assistance or provide additional information about the issue you're facing so that I can help better.

@osprey

sudo lspci |grep Network
works in my Debian Testing...
Thanks for the update.

As I mentioned earlier, running "sudo lspci |grep Network" is a useful command to check the network devices installed on your system. This command will output information about any network adapters installed on your system.

Based on your experience, it appears that the "sudo lspci |grep Network" command works in Debian Testing. This command, however, may not work in all Linux distributions or versions, and in some cases, you may have to use other commands such as "sudo lshw -C network" or check the output of the "ifconfig" or "ip addr" commands to find network devices.

If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask.

@osprey

sudo lspci |grep Network
Yes, I added to my post #11 that it worked on the laptop ... the gap in time it took for me to find my laptop and test it, and then report the finding, got in the way of finishing the post in a timely manner. Thanks for the confirmation.

@osprey

sudo lspci |grep Network
Yes, I added to my post #11 that it worked on the laptop ... the gap in time it took for me to find my laptop and test it, and then report the finding, got in the way of finishing the post in a timely manner. Thanks for he confirmation.
Thank you for the update. I appreciate your collaboration and the information you provided. If you have any other questions or require further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Members online