Difficulties w/ LM 19.1 "live" persistence

Rick

Reaction score
Credits
I've "installed" LM19.1 to a 16Gb (2.0) PNY pendrive. Right from outset, the O.S. has major lagging and minor freezing issues. Example. When first opened O.S. and ran updates from "update mngr." it took 57 mins. to complete 6 updates. When D/l'ed VLC, it took over a half hour and then the install was approx 25 mins. Just ran a few other "updates" (4) this morn and again 24+ mins. I removed Firefox and installed Opera, there was even an "update" to the Opera browser and it's horrible. When I first start it up after a fresh "boot", it can take up 7-10 mins. to fully "load" and operate. Then switching between 'pages" is a crap shoot. Sometimes it goes right to the site, other times it lags and/or freezes and takes an inordinate amount of time to implement. I've removed some pre-installed programs that I do not use and limit installing other programs I wish to use. So, I don't believe I've "over-done-it" by having too much "installed". It seems to keep "persistence" (which was an issue w/ 18.3 I never did resolve) and except for time/date, the other programs I use operate correctly...when they finally load. Is there something I've done wrong or is there something I need to do to get this O.S. operating in a decent manner? Maybe, from a pendrive, I should go "live"??? I'm just baffled at this point!!!
:confused:Rick

RE: EVERYONE

I've found a solution to the lagging. I used Rufus, (the latest) which provides option for either .iso or dd. I choose dd and the lagging problems vanished. So, now, I'd like your opinions on this..https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/03/create-persistent-storage-live-usb-with.html. It certianly looks as if it's the answer to the "persistent storage" problem I've incurred with all the latest LinuxMint distros.
THANX

Linux on a USB stick will be slower than an HDD install.
That depends on the stick and on the available RAM. I had installed Mint on a USB 3.0 stick for a while and ran it on 2 different machines - one was mine (in my signature) only to see if it actually works and one was my friend's whose data I had to rescue. On my own machine I didn't notice any difference, even the startup time (kernel + userspace) was almost identical to the startup time from an SSD (my PC with SSD - 16 seconds; running Mint from the stick attached to my PC - 18 seconds; systemd-alayze said so). On my friend's PC which has only 8GB RAM but otherwise has the same hardware as mine the startup time was 25 seconds.
But if the user tries to install Mint or almost any other distro on a USB 2.0 stick, that's a digital hell in slow motion and it doesn't matter how much RAM they have. Only distros such as TinyCore could run a little better from USB 2.0 sticks.

I gotta say this is just my experience with USB Linux. If somebody else had a more extensive experience with USB Linux, I'd be interested to know what results they had and with what distros. Cuz, you know, an OS capable of running from a USB stick is always welcome. :)

RE: radio84

Thank You for your response. I wish (and just might copy your response) that everyone else I have to deal with could/would read your response. I'm so sick of dealing with all the know-it-all's who tell me "well...it's live so expect slowness; well...it's the pendrive and expect slowness...well...it's only for testing...etc, etc., etc... Of course, all these "know-it-alls" just get pissy and want to berate me as much as they can when I say "Bullsh#@" to most of what they say because, after all, they know it all!!! Now, to your response...I agree that it does depend...somewhat...on the pendrive. Of course, there are 'cheap" pendrives that even if they say 2.0 are really only running at 1.0-1.5.0 speeds. They just re-sold 1.0 pendrives when the jump to 2.0 was made and yes, there are a number of those pendrives still around. just as now, the jump to 3.0--3.1 will. I have 2 pendrives Sandisk calls "high-speed 2.0". Alright, enough of that. I am currently running 2 Linux O.S.'s from pendrives. The "machine" has 8Gb RAM. After learning a few things about how to "create" live , both are running at really decent speeds and act, very much, as a desktop O.S. Which I've repeatedly been told is "impossible". Right now, I have only one real problem, that is w/ LM 19.1X. After "creating" the the bootable pendrive, I discovered there was no persistence. It's taken awhile, but I just recently found the "link"(article) that covers just how to make a persistent file. Of course, I was told that couldn't be done either and am getting grief from one so called "expert". Should I say "self-proclaiming" expert. I'll reiterate a bit more tomorrow for as of now, I've got to go. THANX and I'll pick this up tomorrow.

Rick

Create a bootable usb drive (pen drive) with persistence....use unetbootin

@Rick , there's no "i" in my nickname. ;)
I'm not an expert and you'll never hear me saying I'm one cuz there's always someone else who knows more. Even after the 20 years using Windoughs, I never said I was an expert, altough other people called me one. I'm simply always sharing my experience with things. ;)

RE: rado84;

My apologies for misspelling your "nik". And, I was not referring to you when I was lambasting "the self-proclaimed expert". And I do appreciate, and stated so, your sharing what you've experienced. OK, what I wanted to do last evening and didn't have the time. I recently ran across this...https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/03/create-persistent-storage-live-usb-with.html I believe this is what I'm looking for concerning adding persistence. Yes, I know I could have used one the the commercial apps, however I choose to use Rufus and Rufus does not offer "persistence". Just wondering if you or anyone here has used this or would take a look at it and offer up any opinions/thoughts/suggestions. I want to add persistence to LM 19.1X "live" running from a Sandisk 8Gb pendrive. Ahhmm...20 yrs. of Windoughs..?? Oh, one last item...rado84 have you ever used or looked at "puppylinux" which is designed to run out of/from RAM??

Last edited:
It's ok, @Rick , no offsense taken about the nickname or other thing, I was just saying. :)
As for puppy linux - I have heard and read about it but never used it. Any distro with a Live CD runs from RAM - that's where the OS is being loaded when you run the Live environment. Thus you can try it without installing it. Plus, if you wanna install it, you'll need all your storage devices unmounted, so loading the OS from RAM is the only way for that.

Windoughs - that's what I call Windows bc it's designed to drain your pockets, slow down your hardware and steal your payment data at the same time.

or......unetbootin...as suggested in post #6

screenshot shows linux mint 19 selected for install to a usb drive with 4000 MB persistence (4 GB)

Any distro that you load onto a USB stick will run from RAM....not the hard drive....The hard drive will only be used if you actually install the distro

RE: EVERYONE

I've found a solution to the lagging. I used Rufus, (the latest) which provides option for either .iso or dd. I choose dd and the lagging problems vanished. So, now, I'd like your opinions on this..https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/03/create-persistent-storage-live-usb-with.html. It certianly looks as if it's the answer to the "persistent storage" problem I've incurred with all the latest LinuxMint distros.
THANX

That method looks perfectly sound to me , although I have not tried it yet .
Next time I need to make a live USB with persistence I will have a go .

I used to do a lot of this stuff and adding persistence is not always easy .
Unetbootin was a star in it's day , but it's getting a little long in the tooth now .

I have a list of commands ( nine of them ) which have never failed me in creating
a persistent Live USB .
The method has always worked for me on Debian , Ubuntu and all of their progeny
I'm happy to post them if anyone is interested

@Rick
Could I suggest you edit the thread title to include the word " persistence " ?
Simply because I think you may get more replies that way .
" Difficulties w/ LM 19.1" is a bit vague , given the nature of what you want to achieve ,
..... just a thought .... :)

""Unetbootin was a star in it's day , but it's getting a little long in the tooth now""

.....what is it about unetbootin that is long in the tooth....doesnt work....is incapable of...?

That method looks perfectly sound to me , although I have not tried it yet .
Next time I need to make a live USB with persistence I will have a go .

I used to do a lot of this stuff and adding persistence is not always easy .
Unetbootin was a star in it's day , but it's getting a little long in the tooth now .

I have a list of commands ( nine of them ) which have never failed me in creating
a persistent Live USB .
The method has always worked for me on Debian , Ubuntu and all of their progeny
I'm happy to post them if anyone is interested

@Rick
Could I suggest you edit the thread title to include the word " persistence " ?
Simply because I think you may get more replies that way .
" Difficulties w/ LM 19.1" is a bit vague , given the nature of what you want to achieve ,
..... just a thought .... :)

RE: Socket of Davis

Thank you for your reply and your suggestion. Yes, it would be appropriate to amend the thread title Actually, I wonder if I should just go ahead and start another thread??? At this time, I'm going to implement the 'commands" I found. I "believe" those should 'do-the-trick". As far as Unetbootin/Pendrivelinux/Multibootin/LiLi, I too have used it(those) in the past. If one wonders why I used Rufus it is because Rufus provides an option for .iso or dd. Now using dd, so far, it solved the extreme lagging and freezing issues. Wish I'd known that prior to this post, but then, how would I "live and learn"? Also, I appreciate that I may be doing something in a different way and you didn't bitch at me. You may be surprised at how much flack I receive when I don't do something "the way I was told to"!! GEEZ!! That is NOT being obstinate, but rather thinking for myself. As I've used Linux/Ubuntu/puppy over the past few decades, I've learned to appreciate the versatility of those O.S.'s and know that they provide for ways to achieve what I wish to do (within reason). OK, Thanx for the opinion on the link I provided. It does sound reasonable,(IMO) even if others tell me it won't work(?) To that I say "Well Linuxmint Store sells pendrives w/ a variety of their O.S's and everyone of those couldn't possibly encounter the lagging/freezing issues I had, and those pendrives do employ persistence. Why would anyone tell me it's not possible running a "live" O.S.? I would be interested in the commands you've used and say worked for you. So, if you wish to, I'll give those a look-see. Perhaps, someone else could benefit from them as well.

It's ok, @Rick , no offsense taken about the nickname or other thing, I was just saying. :)
As for puppy linux - I have heard and read about it but never used it. Any distro with a Live CD runs from RAM - that's where the OS is being loaded when you run the Live environment. Thus you can try it without installing it. Plus, if you wanna install it, you'll need all your storage devices unmounted, so loading the OS from RAM is the only way for that.

RE: rado 84
Windoughs - that's what I call Windows bc it's designed to drain your pockets, slow down your hardware and steal your payment data at the same time.
LOL< LOL< LOL. GREAT!!! I couldn't agree more!!!

RE: arochester

TY! Excellent article. Will keep it in mind. But, for whatever reasons, when I used Rufus and opted for dd instead of .iso, presto--MAGIC..the lagging/freezing issues vanished (so far). Just and an afterthought...why are so many folks opposed to using/trying and/or tweaking a distro in "live" mode? Seems to me, that's a perfect way to go about deciding if you want to install that distro!! (??)

RE: ANYONE

If you have contributed to this thread and I've, somehow, failed to acknowledge you, I apologize and will do so now. THANK YOU!!!

G'day @Rick from another Aussie (Brian, @Condobloke being another), you probably need no introduction to me as you have been here, I note, 15 months or thereabouts :)

If you have not already seen it, Brian and I and others were working on this Thread by Brian about 10 months to 9 months ago

https://www.linux.org/threads/make-my-linux-portable.17878/

My input that is perhaps relevant to you is from Post #7 to Post #27

There is a bit of light-hearted banter in there, but I hope you can get the gist of where I was coming from.

Fire away with any questions it generates, or start a new Thread and tell us how you go with your mission (this tape will self-destruct in 30 seconds).

Enjoy your Linux ... we do, every day.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW I note your age, and I am a 1957er ... we have many many 60 plusers and 70 plusers here, and I don't believe you will find that we denigrate people for thinking beyond the square or pushing the envelope - I do it most days :D

Cheers

RE: wizardfromoz

Thanx for your reply. Oh...I'm not so sure our age(?) is of consequence. I will look at the link you provided. Just a personal insight....why are so many opposed to running a Linux distro from a pendrive?. Therefore, if it's not your preference, OK...so what! There are some of us who use a distro from a pendrive because the comps we have to use are not set up running a unix/linux O.S. (i.e.-school/work/business, or public) Now, I'm new to "puppy" and am 'learning" it, thus, I will have questions. And, so far, I'm quite content w/ puppy. Ah....yes...as long as it stays "light-hearted" banter:rolleyes:. Just so we all know, I'm also running LM 19.1X from a pendrive which brings about the "difficulties" w/ persistence. That said, I'm fairly certain I've gotten the solution. I plan on implementing that 'solution" [ https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/03/create-persistent-storage-live-usb-with.html.] later today. TO: EVERYONE here. I was not referring to anyone at this particular site/thread. My reference about 'self-proclaimed expert" was directed at a troll over at https://linuxmint.com. No problems here!!! Everyone here has, IMO, been extremely helpful, non-judgmental and well informed. It's good to note that folks the world over are using and very interested in unix/linux and/or the many of it's derivatives. So, I'm off to "work' w/ LM19.1X a bit more!

KUDOS to everyone here!!!

another day...another dollar....in debt

Good luck, Rick, and keep us posted on how you go :)

Wizard

Afternoon:

Well, haven't quite got the "persistence" issue resolved. Thought I had, but later discovered the "fix" was not suited for my particular operation. (running 'live" in dd). Now, I've been investigating making a partition and labeling it 'casper-rw". But, as yet, have not attempted for I still have some questions concerning that. Look out BING....I'm baaack!!! Oh, anyone got any "suggestions?
TNX!!

Could a Installation on a USB 3 drive be a Option? I already Do this with Debian and manjaro. The drive should be 32 GB or biger.

Oh, anyone got any "suggestions?

The latest creation from Barry Kauler, original author of Puppy Linux, is EasyOS. I'm not certain, but I think it has persistence, or something similar. It is really in a class by itself, especially regarding containers, and worth a look for a USB based Linux.

Another is Slax. It is also designed to be run from a USB, and it definitely uses persistence (or not... you choose at boot). If your USB is formatted as FAT32 it must abide with the 4 GB limit, but Slax also allows installing on a USB formatted as ext4, and the only limit to persistence is the capacity of the USB stick. It starts off very lean and light on apps, but it is Debian based and you can install a large collection of software with apt.

Neither of these uses Rufus, Unetbootin, or other program to create the USB. You need to follow install instructions carefully for each. They are both quite unique in USB based Linux systems, but both are very powerful and interesting in their own ways.

Cheers

Members online

Latest posts