disable pcie slot completely zero power state

MhMd3eZZ

Reaction score
Credits
greetings to all of the forums member
good days to you
i am junior in Linux and i want to ask the Linux seniors a question

- can the Linux system put the pcie slot to sleep to d3cold state zero power state the state and you can see it in your PC where your graphics card lights off

the windows system cant do this
its put the graphics card to d3hot state and the graphics card lights are always on you can see the lights if you uncover the PC case

it will actually be good to the PC and increase its life span if we shut down one of my graphics card that i do not use
i can shut down my pcie to save power and my PC is working for normal usage but the pcie graphics card are shut down
thank you

What make and model of motherboard do you have.

What type of graphics cards are you running and how many.

What kind of processor are you running and does it have processor graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
gigabyte h61s2pt
external graphics pcie card msi gtx 1060 6 gb
internal graphics Intel® HD Graphics 2500
processor intel i5 - 3450 cpu 3.10

they say that who use this methods can put his pcie to sleep d3cold state while the pc is running

has anyone done this important command and what is results
does the pcie slot is shut down completely on linux or what

this are the power states for the pcie device

thank you

I am assuming you are running Linux Mint ..?

If so...do you have Timeshift activated...have you taken a 'snapshot ?

If you have done this...then run the commands and see what happens.

If the result is "good"....then you can move on from there

If the result is "bad" or unwanted......then you can use Timeshift to restore your system back in time to before you ran the command.

gigabyte h61s2pt
external graphics pcie card msi gtx 1060 6 gb
internal graphics Intel® HD Graphics 2500
processor intel i5 - 3450 cpu 3.10

they say that who use this methods can put his pcie to sleep d3cold state while the pc is running

has anyone done this important command and what is results
does the pcie slot is shut down completely on linux or what

this are the power states for the pcie device

thank you

I did it, at least I already mess around with this. Most of the things you change through /sys/ will be reset at boot, there is few risk of breaking anything. Especially with the power options, everything you put in these "files" is filtered by the kernel so its unlikely that you could break your hardware (I wouldn't mess too much with addresses config or anything that is analogic related though).

o
I did it, at least I already mess around with this. Most of the things you change through /sys/ will be reset at boot, there is few risk of breaking anything. Especially with the power options, everything you put in these "files" is filtered by the kernel so its unlikely that you could break your hardware (I wouldn't mess too much with addresses config or anything that is analogic related though).

OK thank you very much sir for you valuable knowledge and explanation
so you say that if i did this steps - (1) the graphics card lights will be off and the voltage cycle will be closed so it will produce no heat (2) or the graphics card lights will be on and the voltage cycle will be open and it still produce heat

what do you mean by it will break my hardware do you mean the inner cycle software configuration of the motherboard or the graphics card

please explain your answer more simply sir thank you

Unfortunately I cant tell you exactly what would happen. PCI(e) specs are made of tons of documents and it would take a lot of time to only find in which document the behavior is specified.

What I can tell you is that when the device is "powered off" this way it is no more usable by the system until you start the device (or the whole system) again.

When it comes to heat and power consumption, you have to know that graphics card will be in an idle state when they are not in use and the power they draw is low in this state. If its about saving some power it might not be necessary to totally shut the device down.

When it comes to preserving your hardware I don't think its going the make a difference. The only times I've seen or heard about a GPU dying were : overheating or poor soldering (when manufacturers moved to lead free soldering). You can safely keep the GPU powered on all time, if its not used it wont drain enough power to heat and wear out. Also it wont prevent problems like power surges since even when turned off GPUs are still directly wired to the PSU.
It could even be trickier since having a cold GPU could lead some water to condensate on the rad/heatsinks and oxydize the metallic parts.
And if your case's temperature is high the GPU won't be able to turn its fans on and the capacitors will wear out faster.
Ofcourse if the system is meant to run H24 during years powering off the GPU could preserve the fans.

The part about breaking the hardware was only to warn you that messing with /sys directory can be harmful. But this is not the case for the options we are talking about here.

You can safely test the commands in the article you linked. This way you will know what happens. I think this is going to be easier than reading thousands of pages of technical specifications :)

To be clear : I have no clue on the exact behavior, but you can safely test the commands above.

Staff online