Disabling wifi on a Debian laptop

digitard

Reaction score
Credits
I found this tutorial
it doesn't seem easy, if there are any other surprises guys don't forget to tell me

1231213.jpg

I removed the WIFI device from my machine and when I give this command: ''nmcli general status'' it say that everything is enabled and connected.
'
When I give the same command with the broadband disconnected it still say that wifi is enabled can you guys explaining to me what exactly is enabled?

It seems that ''-HW'' means hardware which is frustrating since I have remove the WIFI hardware from the laptop. is it possible to have more WIFI hardware that is not referred in the manual? I hope not.

Then there is WWAN-HW which remain enabled even when I unplug the broadband device. I dont understand this, if what i'm asking doesn't make sense to you please tell me to rephrase

Did you disable the wireless in the BIOS and remove the config files that are associated with the wireless interfaces? Disable the wireless drivers?

I would do everything on that page to put the wireless stuff to bed:-;)

Last edited:
Does lsusb show that the card is still present?

It may be that the reason it's not working is because it may be that you have to do all of that disabling with the card still in place in order for it to work. I could be wrong, just an idea.

With the wifi card in place it should be able to be blacklisted.

What version of Debian are you running and what DE are you using?

Does lsusb show that the card is still present?

It may be that the reason it's not working is because it may be that you have to do all of that disabling with the card still in place in order for it to work. I could be wrong, just an idea.

With the wifi card in place it should be able to be blacklisted.

What version of Debian are you running and what DE are you using?
It's Debian 10.7 cinnamon

I want to disable every possible way of connection including bluetooth without killing the broadband connection and the wired connection

It's hard to put wifi back, i have to take it apart again, if it is sure that there is nothing else to remove there. then i rather not opening it again

what you can see in this?
543636543654654.jpg

that's all the devices that it lists with lsusb. I have removed some stuff cos I don't know what I'm doing

Last edited:
It's Debian 10.7 cinnamon

I want to disable every possible way of connection including bluetooth without killing the broadband connection and the wired connection

It's hard to put wifi back, i have to take it apart again, if it is sure that there is nothing else to remove there. then i rather not opening it again

what you can see in this?
View attachment 8290
that's all the devices that it lists with lsusb. I have removed some stuff cos I don't know what I'm doing
Looking at the output of lsusb you still have your Huawei Networkcard webcam connected.
There is no sign of a wireless network interface card listed.
Looks like you have an AMD device, most likely it's the CPU, GPU or mobo.
To find out more info. about your machine run this command:
inxi -Fxxxrz

Have you tried using the wired connection?

-::-Removing things w/o knowing what you're doing may have serious consequences.-::-

Last edited:
I would not disable the Network Manager because when you need it to use the wired connection it probably won't connect.

Staff online