Display not working properly

Mustakraakish

Reaction score
Credits
I have gone through the forums and have tried everything to get the scrren to fit my monitor correctly. I have contacted the manufactuerer and they want me to install windows but i dont want to do that. When it boots up the information fits correctly but then it gets cut up like you see in the picture. It is a touchscreen panel computer and the touch screen is way off as well if i plug in a different monitor using the HDMI cable it displays fine. the DP-1 display fits the screen but if I make the eDP-1 screen inactive the screen goes blank and the DP-1 as primary does not display. I am at the end of my rope on firguring this out. I use the AV linux distro hopefully the conky data in the picture has the info needed on the system i am using. I believe it is a TOP-17 motherboard
20230503_023707.jpg
20230503_022408.jpg

Looks like you are using MX21-64 bit, the AHS version has better support for the latest equipment

AVLinux is based on Debian and most likely has a pretty old kernel. You might check by going to a terminal and issuing this command
Code:
uname -r
that will tell you what kernel is being used. If it's older than 5.15 I would install ubuntu studio in AV's place. Since support for your hardware is most likely not available in AV. Good luck.

It would be helpful for anyone to see what graphics card you have by sharing the following?
Code:
inxi -G

I have tried installing different distros as well i tried porteaus but i will try unbuntu studio. I really have tried a great number of things to no avail i thought it may be a hardware issue but when booting up it displays properly for moment.

Attachments

• ksnip_20230503-170400.png
    ksnip_20230503-170400.png
    232.3 KB · Views: 128
May be useful to show the output of:
Code:
xrandr
on one or more installations.

Since that is an 4x3 Monitor from your photo - it may be too old for your graphics card - I am also trying to figure out what those wires are coming out of the back of your monitor are for - and the tape on the bottom of the monitor - has this been repaired?

the wires are a USB extension bar the tape is so it wont slip it isnt meant to be a home computer its original use is to control an assembly line. the hardware is from the manufacturerer and i went through all their troubleshooting options and they said to consult with the forums. the randr display settings are in the first picture and i have installed different distros and it does not help i have created custom resolutions and absolutly nothing seems to work. I know it isnt a hardware issue because on start up it displays correctly but when loading something happens which causees the display to get all wonky.

the randr display settings are in the first picture
I can't see any xrandr output in the first picture. It's the terminal output of the command that may be useful. It would show a sum of possible modes and refresh rates for the monitor from which selections, modifications or manipulations may be possible to improve the display. It may then be useful to run cvt to calculate some vesa modelines to enter into an xrandr command to apply to the monitor.

I also think the monitor is the problem...didn't think square monitors were used anymore...might be a good idea to buy a new monitor.
m1212.gif

I know it isnt a hardware issue it displays correctly in i belive its called the grep menu but as it loads something happens it says " do you have the correct Privliges?....faild faild!" the manufacturer had me set the resolution 1280X1024 in bios but it didnt help the eDP-1 in the RandR setting does not have that resolution as an option but the DP-1 does but when DP-1 is set as primary it doesent change anything and when i make eDP-1 inactive with DP-1 as primary the screen goes blank. and yes if i hook up another monitor it dispplays correctly but i want the touch screen to work properly for virtual keyboard/ drum machine so i dont need to buy another piece of hardware. I have been working on this for almost a year i even have had friends more savy with linux then I take a crack at it to no avail. so lets rule out any hardware issues the manufacturer assures me it should work their solution was to just install windows but thats blasphemy

Attachments

• 20230504_224550.jpg
    20230504_224550.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 203
  • 20230504_224117.jpg
    20230504_224117.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 217
  • 20230504_225722.jpg
    20230504_225722.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 211
  • ksnip_20230504-230704.png
    ksnip_20230504-230704.png
    364.3 KB · Views: 125
and its a panel PC so it is all one piece monitor and motherboard i know its weird its designed to run assembly line equipment but i ordered it by accident and figured i would play around with it i like the touchscreen aspet if i could only get it to work properly. it would make a good home automation interface

it may look square but it isnt 1280x1024 is what the manufacturer says to set the resolution at but there isnt an option for that in the eDP-1 display in the randr menu and i have tried creating one but maybe i mistyped the commands

Sounds like you may have tried this to set the screen, but here it is:
Code:
xrandr --output <output> --mode 1024x768
where you fill in the correct <output>.

You could try and define things a little more by using cvt to calculate a set of timing modes and then entering those into the xrandr command to try and set it:
Code:
cvt 1024x768 60

Then feed the resulting modeline figures (which I've taken from a machine here, but are likely to be different in your case) into xrandr similar to this:
Code:
xrandr --newmode "1024x768_63.50"  1024 1072 1176 1328  768  771 775 798 -HSync +VSync
xrandr --addmode <output> 1024x768
where the modeline figures are those which were returned from the cvt command. Variations are possible, e.g. omit the Sync options.

Normally, if the monitor's mode is known, like1024x768, the first two commands would be unnecessary, but in this case where there's an issue, it may be worth trying all three commands.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have tried this to set the screen, but here it is:
Code:
where you fill in the correct <output>.

You could try and define things a little more by using cvt to calculate a set of timing modes and then entering those into the xrandr command to try and set it:
Code:
cvt 1024x768 60

Then feed the resulting modeline figures (which I've taken from a machine here, but are likely to be different in your case) into xrandr similar to this:
Code:
xrandr --newmode "1024x768_63.50"  1024 1072 1176 1328  768  771 775 798 -HSync +VSync
xrandr --addmode <output> 1024x768
where the modeline figures are those which were returned from the cvt command. Variations are possible, e.g. omit the Sync options.

Normally, if the monitor's mode is known, like1024x768, the first two commands would be unnecessary, but in this case where there's an issue, it may be worth trying all three commands.
the manufacturer's specs for resolution are 1280x1024 so wouldnt i use that resolution if you look at the randr display the DP-1 display is bigger and it is exactly the size that monitor is cut off on the right and wraps around the bottom. I will try these commands hopefully i under stand i am not to savy with linux but i am getting there

the manufacturer's specs for resolution are 1280x1024 so wouldnt i use that resolution if you look at the randr display the DP-1 display is bigger and it is exactly the size that monitor is cut off on the right and wraps around the bottom. I will try these commands hopefully i under stand i am not to savy with linux but i am getting there
Unfortunately, xrandr is not seeing the 1280x1024, which means that X doesn't see it, which means that it's not going to be applied as default. You could substitute 1280x1024 into the cvt command, get a line of modeline figures and used them in the xrandr command and see whether you can force this mode to apply, but I've never had to do that, so I simply don't know if it'll work in your case. The 1024x768 that xrandr sees has an aspect ratio of 4:3, whereas 1280x1024 is 5:4, so that's what seems to be implicated in the issue.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts