[Solved] distro for hi-speed data processing

Felietsche

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,

coming from CP/M and MS-DOS (those were the days :D) via Windwows 3.1 and all the others, I finally dare the transition to Linux.
I would be grateful for help, when it comes to choose the "right" distro for my laptop.

Besides all the common office and web stuff (no gaming), I would like to run some CPU-hungry tasks like electronic simulations (LTSPICE), AI data processing (Python) and image stacking (astronomical photography).

My platform:
lenovo ThinkPad W530
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 QM (sysinfo reports 8 CPU's)
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K2000M and Intel HD Graphics 4000
Storage: SSD 512 GB
LAN: Intel 82579LM Gigabit

So the Q is: which distros would be suitable to tap the speed potential of this platform?

Thanks for your support.

Hi and welcome !

So the Q is: which distros would be suitable to tap the speed potential of this platform?

Well we are no more living in the era of anemic CPU and yours seems really strong. Any distro would fit, its a matter of taste. There are many distros out there, with many flavors... I wouldn't recommend debian since its installer won't provide non-free parts that could be required by your hardware.
Since your laptop is not that new you can go on a stable release, I would say Ubuntu or any of its flavors (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu...).

But hey, its a matter of taste so don't take my words until some other people answered. You can also find plenty of threads here talking about different distros.
There's a screenshot thread somewhere where you can judge the look and feel of many different ones.

image stacking (astronomical photography).
I like that ! don't hesitate to post some pics on the forum :)

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS should run great with those specs.

Hi and welcome !

Well we are no more living in the era of anemic CPU and yours seems really strong. Any distro would fit, its a matter of taste. There are many distros out there, with many flavors... I wouldn't recommend debian since its installer won't provide non-free parts that could be required by your hardware.
Since your laptop is not that new you can go on a stable release, I would say Ubuntu or any of its flavors (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu...).

But hey, its a matter of taste so don't take my words until some other people answered. You can also find plenty of threads here talking about different distros.
There's a screenshot thread somewhere where you can judge the look and feel of many different ones.

I like that ! don't hesitate to post some pics on the forum :)

Thanks a lot for this useful advice. poorguy supports it

Members online