Distro Options

Cshaffar

Reaction score
Credits
Ok so I need some options...

I have a Hp pavilion g7-2269wm that is 8yrs old and having issues. I had Ubuntu and got sick of it, switched to mint but then decided to go the Arch route so I switched to Manjaro....BIG MISTAKE....NIGHTMARE! So I switched back to mint. It was a nightmare though.

My issue now tho is even tho my laptop is a quad core with 64bit architecture it REFUSES to load or install 64 bit. I had to install Mint 19.2 32bit which worked but it updated to 19.3 which is 64 and now it'll boot to the logo and then die.

I am sooooooooo sick of the BS. I get it, old computer, but with 64bit shouldnt it load 64bit? Not only that it took an act of congress just to get the USB live to even load to install mint. Its like manjaro fought me so I wouldnt remove it and now mint is making me regret changing it lol

What is a good light weight distro for a 64bit laptop that acts like a 32 bit....like seriously, I'm over it. I dont even care if it can run NASA and I'm not utilizing its full potential......if it wants to act like a 32 bit baby it'll get treated like a 32 bit baby. Sorry for the rant but I need it lol

Xubunu? Lubuntu? Elementary? Suse?

I'm seeing alot of Bodhi linux and stuff like peppermint/puppy. Bodhi looks nice and so does Gallium, both say 64 bit tho. They say "lightweight enough to run on old computers", so should I go 64 knowing my issues (will it work being light weight?) Or just go 32 if they have it?

Thats a good idea, I usually do do a live usb. But....with all the issues I'm having do you think it'll take the 64bit Bodhi or should I find the 32bit?
I mean it is 64 bit laptop (says so rigjt on case) but it refuses to load 64 bit linux mint

with ventoy you can try both and see how they fair

even tho my laptop is a quad core with 64bit architecture it REFUSES to load or install 64 bit.
and
I have tried Debian before, it gets about 3/4 thru install and then thermal fails and shuts down.
Sounds like you have a hardware problem. No distro will fix a hardware problem.

Ok so I need some options...

I have a Hp pavilion g7-2269wm that is 8yrs old and having issues. I had Ubuntu and got sick of it, switched to mint but then decided to go the Arch route so I switched to Manjaro....BIG MISTAKE....NIGHTMARE! So I switched back to mint. It was a nightmare though.

My issue now tho is even tho my laptop is a quad core with 64bit architecture it REFUSES to load or install 64 bit. I had to install Mint 19.2 32bit which worked but it updated to 19.3 which is 64 and now it'll boot to the logo and then die.

I am sooooooooo sick of the BS. I get it, old computer, but with 64bit shouldnt it load 64bit? Not only that it took an act of congress just to get the USB live to even load to install mint. Its like manjaro fought me so I wouldnt remove it and now mint is making me regret changing it lol

What is a good light weight distro for a 64bit laptop that acts like a 32 bit....like seriously, I'm over it. I dont even care if it can run NASA and I'm not utilizing its full potential......if it wants to act like a 32 bit baby it'll get treated like a 32 bit baby. Sorry for the rant but I need it lol

Xubunu? Lubuntu? Elementary? Suse?
It may not be a distro problem. Very likely that PC is UEFI, so it may be a setting such as being set to Legacy or CSM instead of UEFI, or it could be SATA not being set to AHCI, or even Secure boot not being disabled. That's where I would start if so many capable distros don't install.

It may not be a distro problem. Very likely that PC is UEFI, so it may be a setting such as being set to Legacy or CSM instead of UEFI, or it could be SATA not being set to AHCI, or even Secure boot not being disabled. That's where I would start if so many capable distros don't install.

Yeah i thought about that too but everything is what it is supposed to be and secure boot is off, trust me...I post this on several other threads as well and have answered that question many MANY times lol

So what did the folks on those other threads suggest? Don't want to waste your time repeating stuff - again!

So what did the folks on those other threads suggest? Don't want to waste your time repeating stuff - again!

We went thru the xici and it showed a dif operating system entirely. In fact that and the grub both showed dif OS than each other. So then we tried editing the splash, that didn't work. Tried running recovery from grub, tried to do root drop from grub and that failed. Pretty sure we tried everything short of just saying ef it and reinstalling the OS....which I may just do andlose everything on it cause this is just a hassle lol

If you have Linux on it, and you have some data that you don't want to lose, backup the data and re-install. Sounds like real pile!

If you have Linux on it, and you have some data that you don't want to lose, backup the data and re-install. Sounds like real pile!

Yeah I'm not too worried about it, when I switched to this OS couple weeks ago I kept everything that was on it on a 32gb usb, so I'm only gonna lose like 2 or 3 albums I downloaded from soundcloud or something.

Yeah it is a real pile thats for sure. But thank you guys all so much, this thread has been very helpful and alot quicker response than even the OS's community. Gonna reinstall