Distro Recommendation

datajj

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
Hope it is ok to ask this for the forum. I am curious as to people's personal thoughts about recommended Linux distros from experienced Linux users.
I started using Linux full time this year and still learning. I have tried quite a few distros and currently settled on Ubuntu Mate 18.04 LTS. Currently no issues but I'm always interested to try other Linux distros as a live bootable just for curiosity sake. Specs for the machine I'd be doing the live boot on is:
CPU: Intel Pentium N3710 @ 4x 2.56GHz
GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 405 (Braswell)
Max Ram capacity 8 GB

Hard Drive Space 450 GB

@datajj Like you I am starting out in the world of Linux.
I opted for Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.
It is a distro based on the Ubuntu kernel. It is easy and the desktop is fairly intuitive.
Planning on getting the missus a laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed as a gift.

I'm always interested to try other Linux distros as a live bootable just for curiosity sake.

My daily driver is a 2012 GMC Sierra with the Z71 package. It has over 125,000 miles on it, but it still runs great and gets me where I need to go.

The bad thing about automobiles is... you can’t really take them all for a test drive.

The good thing about Linux is... you can.

Start with the Top 100 on DistroWatch. Or check their full list (280 distros over last 12 months).

Have fun! :D

https://distrotest.net/

On our website you will find many operating systems,
which you can test directly online without a installation.

There are no restrictions for the operating system:
You can use all functions of the system,
Uninstall and install software, test installed programs and
even delete or format the hard disk or system files...

Hi,
Hope it is ok to ask this for the forum. I am curious as to people's personal thoughts about recommended Linux distros from experienced Linux users.
I started using Linux full time this year and still learning. I have tried quite a few distros and currently settled on Ubuntu Mate 18.04 LTS. Currently no issues but I'm always interested to try other Linux distros as a live bootable just for curiosity sake. Specs for the machine I'd be doing the live boot on is:
CPU: Intel Pentium N3710 @ 4x 2.56GHz
GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 405 (Braswell)
Max Ram capacity 8 GB

Hard Drive Space 450 GB

I am running on a used Dell OptiPlex 755 PC, 8GB RAM, onboard graphics, and 1TB HDD. I'm not that experienced with Linux, but been test driving around twenty distros in LiveCD mode over the past few years, without any hardware problems. Of all I have tried, MX Linux is pick of the litter. Robolinux is second place. Followed by Kodachi Linux, then TAILS. Linux Mint is usable, but not at all intuitive, so I'm not a fan.

I service a lot of machines with both Linux and Windows systems installed and of the former Manjaro is one of the most popular and also the least stable. Doesn’t matter what the fanboys say here or in other places, updates will break this system on a regular basis across a wider range of hardware specs than I find acceptable. I also don’t find acceptable that ‘check the forum first’ and reinstall this that and the other should be necessary for a major distribution and touted as fixes for breakages.

The sad fact is 90% of my customers are basic home users so anything more stable will do the same job as Manjaro but without the aggravation. Problem is Manjaro becomes a top choice because of the marketing attraction whereas more reliable distros such as Neptune, ROSA and Sabayon don’t because they feature too far down some misleading third party ‘best of’ list.

Ultimately vanilla Debian offers the best balance between desktop choice and stability via the unofficial + non-freeware ISO’s.

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/...irmware/10.2.0-live+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/

Otherwise go with Zorin 15 Core if your preference is for a pre-tweaked Gnome desktop or MX for Xfce.

Last edited:
I started out with Ubuntu, but really didn't like the environment and the company direction. I then went to System76 (yes I know its just another Ubuntu derivative, but there was something appealing about it), I finally settled on Debian 10 Buster and haven't looked back. It s just the most stable system I've used. I still want to get a Suse system running, but Debian will me my main driver.

I am running on a used Dell OptiPlex 755 PC, 8GB RAM, onboard graphics, and 1TB HDD. I'm not that experienced with Linux, but been test driving around twenty distros in LiveCD mode over the past few years, without any hardware problems. Of all I have tried, MX Linux is pick of the litter. Robolinux is second place. Followed by Kodachi Linux, then TAILS. Linux Mint is usable, but not at all intuitive, so I'm not a fan.
Unfortunately it's posts like this that only serve to confuse new and potential Linux users. Kodachi and Tails for instance are designed for a specific purpose and unless the user has this need are not suitable for and should not be recommended as an everyday distro.

thats a very neat site , i'm guessing all running on some sort of VM ; all was going well with slackware14.2 until KDE launched .
So for anyone else:
when you see login, my user was root, password DT4root , use login creds. then type on command line" xwmconfig" that brings up gui to choose xfce etc . I choose xfce, then type startx

i'm guessing all running on some sort of VM

Close - it runs on QEMU, which means Quick EMUlator.

QEMU can be used as a virtual environment to run Linux, Windows, Solaris, BSD and other OSes.

It is available in most Distro's Repositories, not sure about Slackware.

Checked that, it is - Google search

slackware install qemu

It is one of the underlying engines in VMWare and may be in Virtual Box, too.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online