Distro selection

MrVeink

Reaction score
Credits
I found with my teacher an old PC and we decided to get it to work again. The specs are an Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5gb ram, GeForce 256 and ≈56-57gb of storage. I'm not sure should I install Xubuntu 18.04 or Zorin OS 12 Lite on it. Both have the same minimum system requirements. Which one is haves more windows-like UI?

I guess Zorin is good and stylish enough. It's beautiful and really fast but if you want a better experience you could go with Lubuntu / Xubuntu and modify it according to your needs (like change the desktop environment)

You could also try Manjaro's XFCE edition. It's great for slow systems. Do you favour performance or beauty more? Your choice :)

Which one is haves more windows-like UI?

Linux is not Windows. Windows is not Linux.

It might LOOK like Windows but it is still Linux.

Zorin probably has the look of Windows more.

Have you looked at Lubuntu?

I found with my teacher an old PC and we decided to get it to work again. The specs are an Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5gb ram, GeForce 256 and ≈56-57gb of storage. I'm not sure should I install Xubuntu 18.04 or Zorin OS 12 Lite on it. Both have the same minimum system requirements. Which one is haves more windows-like UI?
If you're looking for a Windows-like UI distro you migth want to take a look at Q4OS https://q4os.org/downloads1.html the trinity desktop looks a lot like Win 7. Check it out
image2.jpg
requirements are as low as
Trinity desktop - 300MHz CPU / 128MB RAM / 3GB disk
I think this one might just be it.

If you're looking for a Windows-like UI distro you migth want to take a look at Q4OS https://q4os.org/downloads1.html the trinity desktop looks a lot like Win 7. Check it out
image2.jpg
requirements are as low as I think this one might just be it.
That actually could work but:
1) I already made installation media.
2) I want it to look new to make an illusion that it would be "new again".

But tänks for the help

Puppy Linux is my favorite really light weight distro.
You only need:
  • CPU : Pentium 900 MHz
  • RAM : 300 MB RAM
  • Hard Drive : Optional
  • DVD-ROM : 20x and up or USB

I was able to run it on a really crappy laptop and it was so much faster than windows 10(which lagged like crazy) and even had a bunch of fun playing and installing minetest on it.

That actually could work but:
1) I already made installation media.
2) I want it to look new to make an illusion that it would be "new again".

But tänks for the help

Not trying to be mean but, you'd be better off finding a distro that suits your needs/wants instead of one that looks like windows. It won't run windows programs, just find one that you like. :D

How many times people is going to say that Linux is not Windows? I f*cking know it. I just want it to look like Windows because then it would be easier to students use it because every other computer in our school is a Windows laptop.

Last edited:
How many times people is going to say that Linux is not Windows? I f*cking know it. I just want it to look like Windows because then it would be easier to students use it because every other computer in our school is a Windows laptop.
Yes, apparently it was overlooked that the choice was between Zorin Lite and Xubuntu ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Either one can be made to have a "windows-like UI". Neither comes that way by default.
Xubuntu probably has more available for tweaks and support.
Zorin Lite does not come with the Windows like UI.
Of the two, I would choose Xubuntu just for the larger support community.

if i was a psychology professor i would postulate that having a Windows look, might make it more difficult to use; since an image of Windows is going to have users expecting that it will behave like windows and of course it won't , so that will lead to a disappointment of expectation . Whereas if it doesn't look like Windows, then that keys into the brain that its not going to behave like Windows and that inputs some anticipation that its going to behave differently. Of course if you want something to look like Windows simply cram everything and the kitchen sink so it looks "busy" i.e Windows 10

Well this does not matter, but what Linux OS would you prefer specifically so I can answer in better terms. Would you prefer a long-term kernel process, an advanced Linux OS, or a basic hands down Linux distribution that you can easily use without the most part, effort of having to code?

How many times people is going to say that Linux is not Windows?
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

I guess never. :p:D

I just want it to look like Windows because then it would be easier to students use it because every other computer in our school is a Windows laptop.
Never will understand why new Linux users leave Windows but still want to have a Windows like environment.

Linux ain't hard to learn if the new Linux user is willing to learn Linux.

I've found most new Linux users unwilling to take the wee bit of time learn Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally use windows (for Windows programs), MacOS (on my iMac) and Linux (for Linux programs), but this PC is old and we want a lightweight and secure os so that's why I chose Linux.

I use Deepin. It "looks" much like Windows 7.
The file manager windows are much nicer and cleaner than MS Win7 with blue folder colours.
With the transparent taskbar gives you a little aero effect but only on the taskbar and start menu.

Yes, it's very easy to find your way around Zorin Core, I guess Zorin lite is just as easy. Lubuntu is a bit more confusing to navigate.

if i was a psychology professor i would postulate that having a Windows look, might make it more difficult to use; since an image of Windows is going to have users expecting that it will behave like windows and of course it won't , so that will lead to a disappointment of expectation . Whereas if it doesn't look like Windows, then that keys into the brain that its not going to behave like Windows and that inputs some anticipation that its going to behave differently. Of course if you want something to look like Windows simply cram everything and the kitchen sink so it looks "busy" i.e Windows 10

Give them the 'Windows' lookalike and just automatically charge the users $10 every time they 'log on' and $50 every 6 months, for an 'update'. They will totally believe they are in Windows Heaven that way....:eek:

well funny you sat that @Railman i had to delay our flight to Ghana due to wife not being well; we backdated it to June, but I am thinking of introducing slackware linux; probably set desktop wallpaper with teletubbies charge them anything i can think of; i've already had the nod from one of slackware core team as long as Pat V gets a %

Give them the 'Windows' lookalike and just automatically charge the users $10 every time they 'log on' and $50 every 6 months, for an 'update'. They will totally believe they are in Windows Heaven that way....:eek:
Oh boy. I remember my parents asked me to install a Linux so I made a pre-installed USB flash drive with a tutorial... It was only testing and my father and mother liked it and installed it.. I was about 19 then. I'm 24 now... But they installed it. And they looked at me when they removed all the hard drives and they tried to boot up Apple Macintosh and they looked at me and started whining and was like "Why is our Apple not working!" I told them they had literally just completely installed it. They still have to use Linux Mint to this day, still using it as a guest account so they do not have to enter a password and has never taken the apple to an Apple shop or even tried to call them. Sometimes I guess it's just best to let your parents learn on their own. I may be off topic, but this is essential. Why do you charge though? That is robbery. Please stop.

I voted Xubuntu; I am running it on one of my older machines. It's been reliable for me and runs smoothly. Not so much a Windows look alike, but a great little distro to my experience. Also, I like to mention Helium from Bunsen Labs. Anyway, I'm sure the OP has already decided but I just wanted to drop this here in case anyone else stumbles through here with the same question.

g'day all, and welcome to the new members :)

apart from the OP there are a dozen (now 13) contributors to this thread, but only 3 votes.

this is a survey or poll, with only 2 choices - xubuntu and zorin. if you are going to contribute, please do the OP the courtesy of voting.

given the OP has said at #5 that he has installation media ready, then suggesting other linux distros is academic, although i personally value and use a number of your suggested distros.

i run 70 to 100 linux at a time, for those new.

@MrVeink :

1. a survey should have a cutoff date. for example 2 weeks, 1 month, according to your needs. otherwise people will still be voting in 2 years and you have lost interest or gone to another forum.

if you cannot change that, arochester or i can, give us a figure.

2. you mention in #1 zorin 12, but 15 in the poll. do we take it, it is 15?

3. if you wish to entertain other options, place a 3rd option "other - please specify" - again, we can change that if you cannot.

3.a - if you go with the above, tell us the requirement figures you established for zorin and xubuntu, we can use them as a benchmark. RAM is 1.5 GB, folks.

4. your input at #1, #9, and #14 are confusing me. is this exercise just for you and the professor on an old pc, or to roll out to a number of students?

if you can answer my questions we can all likely help better.

i am voting for xubuntu - i use both - because the xfce desktop environment is very friendly for legacy equipment.

chris turner
wizardfromoz

Members online