DNS parent and child zones - which are required

amfzn

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

i wanted to ask which DNS "zones" are needed to be adjusted in order to change IP of the domain.com hosting?

by change i mean so the nameservers the domain is using
ns1.nsdomain.com
ns2.nsdomain.com
will properly resolve to a new IP.

level 1: domain (nsdomain.com) registar allows custom DNS where one can register NSs like ns1 and ns2 and set its IP
level 2: the domain which is used in nameservers (nsdomain.com) can be protected by Cloudflare where one can also set NSs and its IPs
level 3: NSs can also be set on the hosting server where is hosted nsdomain.com
level 4: NSs can also be set on the hosting server where is hosted domain.com which is using nsdomain.com nameservers (in this level it is NS record with name being domain.com. and value being nsX.nsdomain.com. - so no IPs)

so which levels are necessary to change so things works correctly? I do not want to complicate things by setting all levels if that is not needed. Thank you

I assume you talking about using paid hosting, rather than settings from your own server.

To keep it simple , say I purchase a domain from JohnDoe.com ; its not unusual when you login in to your account of the the domain provider that the IP of your domain is linked to that of the domain seller. That makes sense since they don't know where else to "point it to".

So you now have a domain for your web site ; but you don't have hosting, so you now go and look for hosting like a company and sign up for a company using Linux servers (are there any Windows server left out there ?)

The hosting account should provide you with :
ns1.nsdomain.com
ns2.nsdomain.com

values; oncw you have those you go back to your domain provider account; yes you click on custom and probably play with settings for half an hour before your change of settings are confirmed. Why's that .. well some domain providers have a lock on your domain , so somebody can't hack your account and point your domain to where you don't want it pointed to!

Thats the way I went for my daughters site. With a domain only your free to point your domain anywhere you want , whic his useful when your hosting is not to your liking ; you just get another hosting , clone all the stuff across and point your domain to new hoster. Thats why never go for domain with hosting - you may find your tied to your provider

Does that sort of address the questions ? There are other quirks which i will leave for others to mention

Hmm... To change (including to create) nameservers, I use the control panel's DNS settings at the domain name registrar.

Like the "CustomDNS" from NC:

I think that this does not answer my questions form the initial post.

Dude I have been there and struggled with the same question for long time. I still remember my longs dives into DNS resources.
Finally le me tell you the full procedure:

1. If you use cloudflare thats the best thing, simply open your domain registrar and point the nameservers to cloudflare ones ( available in cloudflare dashboard something like *.*.cloudflare.com). Then when records have propagated open cloudflare dashboard and point your domain to ip using 'A' records.

In most cases you just have to add 'A' record with proper ip whereever your dns records are hosted (with registrar, web host, WAF like cloudflare,modsecurity,etc).

I hope this answers your question(s).

i wanted to ask which DNS "zones" are needed to be adjusted in order to change IP of the domain.com hosting?

It depends. Are you hosting your own DNS? Is it being hosted externally?

In most cases you just have to add 'A' record with proper ip whereever your dns records are hosted (with registrar, web host, WAF like cloudflare,modsecurity,etc).

If it's hosted externally.
But you'll have to change two files. The forward lookup file, and the reverse lookup file.

Usually you'll have a "zone" file. It starts with somethig like.

$ORIGIN example.com.
$TTL 86400
@ SOA dns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. (

But you also need a reverse lookup file. It starts with something like.

$ORIGIN 1.0.10.in-addr.arpa.
$TTL 86400
@ IN SOA dns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. (

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online