Do Downtown Chicagoans Talk Differently Than Suburban Chicagoans?

• Thread starter Deleted member 111282
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 111282

I was watching LGR's review of Midtown Madness: Chicago Edition, and hearing Marty Lennartz using a Chicago dialect, as well as Clint's at the end of the review, made me wonder if all Chicagoans sound like that. I've lived in the south suburbs (and same house) my whole life, and although the aunt on my dad's side sounds like a typical Chicagoan (because her and my dad used to live downtown), it doesn't seem like people from my neck of the woods sound like that. I've heard recordings of myself, and I don't seem to sound like that either (especially since I've been getting into the habit of talking with a Transatlantic Accent, because people have noticed I speak clearer and slower when using it, and because I'm trying to present myself as more classier and sophisticated). If you're from Chicago as well, I'd like to know which part, and if you or the people around you talk like the typical Chicagoan.

Da Bears are da best! Go Cubbies! ;)

At some point years ago, my wife and I both noticed how much we used "deez, dem, doze" instead of "these, them, those." We both think that we did not speak like that when we were young and must have acquired it over time. We've made an effort to correct it, and I think we're doing much better. We live in the far southeast suburbs... NWIN.

I've been getting into the habit of talking with a Transatlantic Accent, because people have noticed I speak clearer and slower when using it, and because I'm trying to present myself as more classier and sophisticated
I'm an old man, and I would only suggest that you be yourself. It's not how you speak that's important, it's what you say. Be kind. (That's something I fail at sometimes myself. I'll try harder.)

PS. The sports references are just a joke. I have no interest in any sports.

@stan Its good to know another person from my city is on here! I don't mind playing sports with my friends, but watching professional sports is one of the most boring events I can think of.

While I accept and understand your reasoning for your advice, I don't necessarily agree with it. Yes, my accent may sound "weird" because it's not a common way of talking (especially since the end of WWII, as Hollywood stopped using it, and upper class boarding schools across the east coast stopped teaching it), but being that I've struggled with speech problems for years, I don't mind using it to help me overcome that. Not to sound like I'm tooting my horn, but since I've only gotten complements from people who notice it when I talk, I obviously don't see that as a reason to stop using it either.

As far as what you said about me being myself, I've always been a freethinker in one way or another, as I have what's called the sigma personality type (in other words, I'm the lone wolf leaving the pack to hunt on my own). While the normies get annoyed with me not talking, thinking, or acting like they do, I honestly don't care because I live my life as I see fit. Despite how badly they and their Illuminati overlords want to control me, they can't because life in all actuality doesn't work that way.

Because my bluntness has inadvertently caused quite a bit of conflict in my relationships with people (especially the normies), I've been gradually working on how I word things to avoid that in the future.

Members online