Do I need an antivirus for linux

Adithyansm

Reaction score
Credits
Hello every one
I am dual Booting Linux and windows in one of my machines and a Samba shared folder

Recently my windows machine (main and secondary) had a virus attack and was succesfully remved by antivirus .
And I want to check that some cross platform virus had entered the linux machine .
Nowadays there are more linux threat comming out : like this one.
I have installed Clamav to run a scan but it is taking all the resources Like High cpu usage and ram usage.(my secondary machine is not that powerfull to handle that )
When i run a scan it hangs a lot .
So anyone please tell me a resource freindly (free) antivirus .(open source would be great)
I have tried comodo AV also but It had a dependency problem and was unable to fix .

We get this question periodically, so rather than get our Members to repeat themselves, I would suggest a few steps, involving you reading:

1. Top right-hand side, click Search and enter

antivirus

One of the more recent ones is here

https://www.linux.org/threads/virus-guards-for-linux-is-it-necessary.36248/

Read it and others

2. Google (or your choice of search engine, DuckDuckGo is a good one focussed on Linux)

linux antivirus

and

linux antivirus necessary

and see what fruit that produces

3. Google search

alternative to mcafee

alternative to norton

and so on

One of the higher entries you will get is from

alternativeto.net

Make that your friend for searching for alternatives to Windozer software.

Once you have done that, you may already make a decision, or else come back here with some precise questions and we'll see what we can do.

I am one of those who has not used, nor felt a need for AV since Day One (2010), have not had a reason to regret that.

Cheers

Wiz

We get this question periodically, so rather than get our Members to repeat themselves, I would suggest a few steps, involving you reading:

1. Top right-hand side, click Search and enter

antivirus

One of the more recent ones is here

https://www.linux.org/threads/virus-guards-for-linux-is-it-necessary.36248/

Read it and others

2. Google (or your choice of search engine, DuckDuckGo is a good one focussed on Linux)

linux antivirus

and

linux antivirus necessary

and see what fruit that produces

3. Google search

alternative to mcafee

alternative to norton

and so on

One of the higher entries you will get is from

alternativeto.net

Make that your friend for searching for alternatives to Windozer software.

Once you have done that, you may already make a decision, or else come back here with some precise questions and we'll see what we can do.

I am one of those who has not used, nor felt a need for AV since Day One (2010), have not had a reason to regret that.

Cheers

Wiz
Thank you for your reply and suggestions:D

And the same for me.

another long term user who dosn't feel the need, you the user are both the best security your machine has or the biggest bug it has its down to how careful you are.

addendum.. please drop into the into forums and tell us a little of yourself

@Adithyansm
Hi there,
I've been using Linux {Mainly Mint} for about 5-6 years. Never used an anti-virus since starting with Linux. I think that is one of the great things about Linux - it is more secure than Windows, by far!
I do remember {vaguely} what it was like using Windows. It's what I started with in 1995. Do this! Don't do that! All the must do's and don't's.
Once I got accustomed to using Linux I have not turned back. Everything I could do on Windows I can do on Linux.
On top of that, with Linux you have a world-wide support system - especially here on this forum - ready and willing to help.
I know how to dual boot but choose not to. Strictly Linux for me!
The Old Geezer on another of his rants!!!

I'm another one that has never felt the need to install AV on a Linux desktop system.

I do install ClamAV on web servers where files may be used by Windows users, particularly via email.

me too, on FileServer or WebServer/Mailserver i do add ClamAV with fail2ban

Hello every one
I am dual Booting Linux and windows in one of my machines and a Samba shared folder

Recently my windows machine (main and secondary) had a virus attack and was succesfully remved by antivirus .
And I want to check that some cross platform virus had entered the linux machine .
Nowadays there are more linux threat comming out : like this one.
I have installed Clamav to run a scan but it is taking all the resources Like High cpu usage and ram usage.(my secondary machine is not that powerfull to handle that )
When i run a scan it hangs a lot .
So anyone please tell me a resource freindly (free) antivirus .(open source would be great)
I have tried comodo AV also but It had a dependency problem and was unable to fix .
I use clamav.

Members online

Latest posts