Do I Need Drivers?

J

John P

Do I need Drivers????
Motherboard Driver installation disk won't run,( I can see the files on the cd ). Drivers on Gigabytes website are for Windows OS. Should I install the Windows drivers for this board? If so which version? Driver Manager in Linux Mint 17 doesn't do anything on my machine when I open it? Everything seems to work, including printer, internet, and dual monitors.
Installed Mint 17 on new build with Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard with UEFI, Intel i5 processor with intel graphics on board, Samsung 128 gig SSD, on 39" Samsung TV. Partitioned with a small UFI boot, Root partition, and Home partition, (No Swap)( See screenshot). Had no problems installing with "other method". Incredible speed and stable.
Only two problems so far...
1- Computer restarts itself after I shut down.
Do I need to do something with ACPI..can't find it in the bios settings. Looked under the Power settings.
2- Can't add some apps to favorites menu and can't move apps around in favorites menu.
Hopefully that is just a bug that hasn't been fixed yet.
Has not installing any Drivers the reason the computer restarts itself? Will I have any more problems due to lack of Drivers?
Screenshot-1.png

you don't need any drivers for that motherboard, they are included in the kernel.

Does
Code:
sudo shutdown -h 0
in a terminal produce the same results?

Is the UEFI updated? (not drivers)e
Is wake-on-lan enabled in the UEFI?

you don't need any drivers for that motherboard, they are included in the kernel.

Does
Code:
sudo shutdown -h 0
in a terminal produce the same results?

Is the UEFI updated? (not drivers)e
Is wake-on-lan enabled in the UEFI?

Yes, Just tried that command along with....sudo shutdown -h now
sudo poweroff
sudo halt
They all shut down the computer but it started up again on its own.
Can't see anywhere in the bios to update the UEFI. Not sure how I can even do that.
The wake-on-lan is enabled, and was by default.
I also tried changing the Power Loading in the bios from Auto to disabled but that didn't do anything either so I changed it back to Auto.

Been Googling ACPI but am getting nowhere.

Updated all the Linux Mint 17 packages this morning hoping that would help, but computer still wants to restart on its own!

[quote="John P, post: 20891, member: 16380"Only two problems so far...
Do I need to do something with ACPI..can't find it in the bios settings. Looked under the Power settings.
ATTACH=full]1188[/ATTACH][/quote]

My Samsung Chronos series 7 does that, too. Running Ubuntu (I forget which release), and KDE. It's annoying. I don't think it has anything to do with drivers. Hardware just won't work if you've got a driver issue, Or it will work in an odd way. It's more than likely some BIOS setting, but I've been too lazy to track it down.

Try disabling wake on lan.
BIOS/UEFI updates are available here:

and you can install them with Q-Flash which does not depend on Windows.

Just got off the phone with Gigabyte. They said to go to Power settings in bios and Enable "ERP". That will also disable "Wake on Lan" as you have suggested. They also confirmed that I don't need any drivers. Linux Mint 17 has all in OS.
So far it seems to work :) Keeping fingers crossed!
I will check out those links too!
Thanks!!!

[quote="John P, post: 20891, member: 16380"Only two problems so far...
ATTACH=full]1188[/ATTACH]

My Samsung Chronos series 7 does that, too. Running Ubuntu (I forget which release), and KDE. It's annoying. I don't think it has anything to do with drivers. Hardware just won't work if you've got a driver issue, Or it will work in an odd way. It's more than likely some BIOS setting, but I've been too lazy to track it down.[/quote]

Looks like you were both right!

Members online

Latest posts