Do I need to extract iso files for a grub boot

sofasurfer

Reaction score
Credits
I have booted a few different distros from hard drive with grub. But now I have downloaded Ubuntu 22.10 and when I searched for the vmlinuz and initrd files (which are in 'casper') I find that all directories show 0 bytes until I extract them and THEN I am able to locate the files. I did not have to extract the files in the other distro isos that I set up for grub booting.
I don't want to start a whole thread about iso booting off hard drive. I've already done that and I am still studying them. I have booted mx, gparted and debian. Do I need to handle Ubuntu 22.10 differently?

I found that apparently, I don't need to extract anything. I simply put "vmlinuz" and "initrd" where they belong in the 40_custom script and I guess any extracting is don't automatically. I won't even try to understand this.
My new problem is that when I click Ubuntu in the grub menu to run the ISO, I get as far as the splash screen and there it freezes. The kittle progress wheel does not turn and thats as far as it goes. I googled and learned that the common "fix" (for a normal installation instead of a ISO boot) is to add "nomodeset" to the "no splash" line. This did not help, so I wonder how to fix this.

I removed "quite splash" from startup and saw that when it freezes it says "kernel panic - not syncing attempting to kill init! exitcode 'xxxxxx'". What does this tell me?

Since you have booted MX, gparted and debian successfully, I'm guessing that you did so from good usb iso files which you "burnt" to the usb. In this case of failure with ubuntu, I think you need to verify that the "burnt" usb image is also good. Ubuntu has it's means of doing that which you could use. I'll leave that for you to hunt up. I mention this because the error message is typical of hardware failure. The kernel appears not to have even got to the point of searching for the root filesystem. The other check you could make, if you are unsure, is of the memory on the computer. You can do that with a live disk from which you can run memtest86+.

Members online

Latest posts