Do you own a smartphone? Let's talk about smartphones.

Sudo It

Reaction score
Credits
I am from Genz and most of people in my age don't even own a computer. They are addicted to their mobile phones (even me) most of the time but they don't have even basic technology literacy.

I bought my current smartphone an year ago and it won't receive updates after this year. So, basically, I paid hundreds of bucks for a phone and it is useless after 2 years. (Google Pixel Flagship devices receive security updates for only 4 years).
Following Apple, Android phones don't come with a charging brick in the box now, but I wonder how it benifits to the environment when the customer has to buy a phone for every two years because the vendor company doesn't want to release updates for slightly old phones.

So, I decided not to buy another smartphone for next 10 years and install an emulator on my computer and use android apps on it when my current device doesn't receive updates anymore. I am already trying only to use my phone for text messages and calls while I run desktop applications for encrypted messaging applications, 2FA applications, etc. on computer.
So far, my experience is great. I could save lot of time and reduce addiction looking at the mobile phone screen for hours without doing anything meaningful. I might even sell my smartphone and buy a dumb phone for just for calls.

Everybody thinks I'm poor or dumb when I have to pull off my pocket my dumb phone. I find nothing useful in a smartphone, nothing interests me about it, too small to read and write in it, too big for the pocket. My dumb phone lasts a week without charging, this is what I care for

Last edited:
Everybody thinks I'm poor or dumb when I have to pull off my pocket my dumb phone. I find nothing useful in a smartphone, nothing interests me about it, too small to read and write in it, too big for the pocket. My dumb phone lasts a week without charging, this is what I care for
sounds highly intelligent to me ! I have a smart phone but disable just about everything including letting google know where i am so also have a good battery life

I have a smart phone that's getting long in the tooth. I don't really use many of the features and don't use a lot of apps, but I do enjoy one that is responsive and versatile. My current phone is getting long in the tooth but I just haven't managed to replace it. It actually still gets updates. It's a solid phone, pretty much the best that was available at the time.

I've been eyeballing the new Samsung Galaxy S22. I thought about one of the opensource phones, but they just can't compare. Besides, I've got to be able to play Cribbage while waiting for the missus.

The dumb phone I had was good for a while, but it's limitations stimulated moving to a smart phone. The two main limitations were the absence of a browser which precluded online access, and the absence of the capacity to become a tethered hot spot for my laptop when travelling. It's "horses for courses" I guess, and my desire and need to be comfortably online was the clincher.

That's my same experience, my friends think I'm dumb or a tinfoil theorist when I talk about this stuff but when in reality they don't even know how their new shiny gadgets work. I got my kindle when I want to read something. I'm fine with my chunky old computers for other purposes.

I have a smart phone that's getting long in the tooth. I don't really use many of the features and don't use a lot of apps, but I do enjoy one that is responsive and versatile. My current phone is getting long in the tooth but I just haven't managed to replace it. It actually still gets updates. It's a solid phone, pretty much the best that was available at the time.

I've been eyeballing the new Samsung Galaxy S22. I thought about one of the opensource phones, but they just can't compare. Besides, I've got to be able to play Cribbage while waiting for the missus.
I don't think open source phones will beat companies like samsung in this decade. S22 is a pretty good device though, but still filled with more and more bloatware. Other than that S22 is a very powerful device. Hell, far better than iphone craps.

I don't think open source phones will beat companies like samsung in this decade.

Probably not. I'm tempted to do so as a statement more than anything, but then I have to live in the limitations of the system. So...

Fortunately, I don't need to decide for a while. My phone is a LG V20.

@Tharindu -- I am intrigued by your usage of Android emulator. Looked into it and see ARChon does not require a VM. I prefer non-VM (unless I can be convinced otherwise) and would want to use it for voice calls as I have ditched smartphones as too troublesome to be worth my time and money. The only instance where I found one truly useful was being on the road in a strange locale and needing directions.

My first smartphone was a Samsung Mega and liked to use it watch netflix, as Linux was not supported by the app at the time.
Others were an LG whose battery burnt up, a Chinese clone I abandoned due to security issues/rumors, and another I used for two to three years until its Android OS needed upgrading. Two of these phones were hacked during or around 2016, when I gave up even my ISP for over a year (history has proven my decision to get off the 'net at that time a not unwise one) .

Tell me more about emulators and using them for phone calls, please.

A Boomer

@Tharindu -- I am intrigued by your usage of Android emulator. Looked into it and see ARChon does not require a VM. I prefer non-VM (unless I can be convinced otherwise) and would want to use it for voice calls as I have ditched smartphones as too troublesome to be worth my time and money. The only instance where I found one truly useful was being on the road in a strange locale and needing directions.

My first smartphone was a Samsung Mega and liked to use it watch netflix, as Linux was not supported by the app at the time.
Others were an LG whose battery burnt up, a Chinese clone I abandoned due to security issues/rumors, and another I used for two to three years until its Android OS needed upgrading. Two of these phones were hacked during or around 2016, when I gave up even my ISP for over a year (history has proven my decision to get off the 'net at that time a not unwise one) .

Tell me more about emulators and using them for phone calls, please.

A Boomer
Personally, I haven't been able to get any emulator work on Linux. I used android x86 for a short period of time, just to test how it works. It worked fine, but not great. I had much better experience with Nox emulator on Windows. The best android emulator I used. I installed telegram, whatsapp, viber and many other application on Nox and they all worked perfectly fine. I never had any issues with calls either. Unfortunately I don't use it anymore because I don't connect my Windows hard drive to the internet.

I tried to install anbox on my raspberry pi for a long time, but couldn't.
So, your best bet is to try android x86, but honestly I don't have much experience of using it as I mentioned I used it as a testing environment.

Or, if you use windows, use Nox. You can even set different phone model manually on Nox. But it's not open source.
ARChon is on my radar, but I have to check whether I can get it work on RPi. I have another machine, but most of the time I use my Raspberry pi. I will let you know, if I had any luck on ARChon.

Thanks for the reply, and keep us posted!

I am from Genz and most of people in my age don't even own a computer. They are addicted to their mobile phones (even me) most of the time but they don't have even basic technology literacy.

I bought my current smartphone an year ago and it won't receive updates after this year. So, basically, I paid hundreds of bucks for a phone and it is useless after 2 years. (Google Pixel Flagship devices receive security updates for only 4 years).
Following Apple, Android phones don't come with a charging brick in the box now, but I wonder how it benifits to the environment when the customer has to buy a phone for every two years because the vendor company doesn't want to release updates for slightly old phones.

So, I decided not to buy another smartphone for next 10 years and install an emulator on my computer and use android apps on it when my current device doesn't receive updates anymore. I am already trying only to use my phone for text messages and calls while I run desktop applications for encrypted messaging applications, 2FA applications, etc. on computer.
So far, my experience is great. I could save lot of time and reduce addiction looking at the mobile phone screen for hours without doing anything meaningful. I might even sell my smartphone and buy a dumb phone for just for calls.
Several things on here you said are false.

1. Most android phones do come with a brick in the box.
2. 80%+ of Gen-Z owns a laptop and over 50% own a desktop. So most people that are Gen-Z do own a computer.

Don't make facts on your own assumptions.

Several things on here you said are false.

1. Most android phones do come with a brick in the box.
2. 80%+ of Gen-Z owns a laptop and over 50% own a desktop. So most people that are Gen-Z do own a computer.

Don't make facts on your own assumptions.
Well, I'm not. When was the last time you bought a smartphone? Most of Android companies don't ship a charger with the phone now.

2. I don't know where you got these statistics from, but from my own experience, I know that most of GenZ don't own a laptop or a desktop.
But let's just assume that most of zoomers own a computer. How often do they turn on their computer? And even if they do turn on their computers, what do they do? watching Netflix?

Well, I'm not. When was the last time you bought a smartphone? Most of Android companies don't ship a charger with the phone now.

2. I don't know where you got these statistics from, but from my own experience, I know that most of GenZ don't own a laptop or a desktop.
But let's just assume that most of zoomers own a computer. How often do they turn on their computer? And even if they do turn on their computers, what do they do? watching Netflix?

Last time I bought an Android smartphone was a couple of months ago and its a flagship. But keep believing your lies. You're laughable.

Last time I bought an Android smartphone was a couple of months ago and its a flagship. But keep believing your lies. You're laughable.
what's wrong with you? it's like arguing with a kid. And what was the lie?
Your fake statistics? or companies still ship a charging brick in the box?
As much as I know Oneplus 9 was shipped with a charger. Samsung, Google don't. So,why don't you keep your lies together and provide true sources for information.
BTW, what I posted is based on my knowledge. This is off topic.

Your knowledge is flawed.

Your knowledge is flawed.
says by the man who can't even show proofs. smh. I don't have time to argue with you, so your further replies won't be answered. LOL what a crackhead.

Members online