Do you own a smartphone? Let's talk about smartphones.

says by the man who can't even show proofs. smh. I don't have time to argue with you, so your further replies won't be answered. LOL what a crackhead.
And wheres your proof?

BTW when you have to result to name calling like that shows your lack of maturity and that you can't have a good argument. And if you took the time to research the statistics you'll see.

Also thank you for showing everyone how weak you and your lack of communication skills.

Alright...

Please don't make me put on my moderator hat. If y'all want to fight and argue, take it to PM where we don't have to see it.

Alright...

Please don't make me put on my moderator hat. If y'all want to fight and argue, take it to PM where we don't have to see it.
yeah sorry about that. but there's always someone who want to be a smartass. Apologizing for the behaviour

Good, good... I hate putting on my moderator hat. I much prefer wearing my regular user hat and drinking wine, though it's a bit early for wine.

Not a fan of a smartphone, not anymore. Because I can do the same, even more, and better with my Linux PC, I don't see why I need to use it a lot.

My first smartphone was Samsung Wave 2 which I bought in 2011. I was impressed at first, but after one year, I got bored with it.

Others already pointed out similar opinions to mine on this thread, so there's no need to elaborate further.

Not a fan of a smartphone, not anymore.

My DSL is out. I can barely get a signal - but I can be online because of my smart phone. I get maybe two bars and a speed test says I'm in the 4 MB/sec range.

So, there's that.

do I have a smart phone, Yes I have 2, an old galaxy Y running android 2 , this has a new life as a dash cam, and a 5.5 inch cheap phone, I had to get to keep in contact with granddaughter, although i have had a mobile phone all the way back to the days of a handset on a car battery with less than 10 mins talk time, I have never got my head around texting so i got the cheap smartphone with a big qwerty key board, I deleted most apps, and never let it connect to data services or wi-fi, except a couple of times a year to run updates.,

I deleted most apps, and never let it connect to data services or wi-fi, except a couple of times a year to run updates.,
This sounds like me using a smartphone nowadays :)

Also some apps have adds in them and goodness knows what else.

Thanks for the reply, and keep us posted!
Hi, I spent few days researching ARChon, but I don't think it is a good choice anymore because the project has been abandoned years ago and even if it still gets updates. you have to run it using chrome browser.
I installed Anbox, but I am facing so many crashes now and then and it has lot of bugs.
Unfortunately, there's no good android emulator for linux at this point except Genymotion which is very expensive, so let's hope the community will build something in the future.
(Still, there are projects like androidx86, blissos, but they have to be run on VMs)

I am still connected via cell phone. My DSL has been out for a while. Don't worry, I'm not gonna pay 'em for the duration. But, it's a darned good thing that I own a smartphone.

The tree that fell is on private land, as are all the poles. The tree is on the road that comes to my house - and it's all privately owned. It's also mud season, so they're reluctant to send heavy equipment up here to fix it. (It *will* get stuck in the mud. I will have to pull it out with my tractor, and that's even if they let me do something like that.)

So, I'm gonna be without regular internet for a bit longer. When Fairpoint does their spring-cleaning, we're still not a priority. This is one of the penalties I pay for living as remotely as I do.

The good news is that the phone is holding up just fine. I slurp my usual amount of data and they just leave me alone. It's 'unlimited' and actually appears to be truly un-metered. (Nothing is unlimited in the tech world.) I get 4 MB/sec, though it sometimes pops up to twice that much. It ain't fast or fancy, well it is IPv6, but it's effective. So, it's got that going for it. Plus, it works! I'd be pretty annoyed if it didn't.

Whatever works and gets the job done is what matters.

Our smartphones are bare minimum and that's all we need.

We make phone calls and text sometimes and look something up once in a while.

Unlike the rest of the world we don't have our noses stuck in them 24-7 just no reason to.

I've only owned 2 smartphones in my life and I'm never going back to using one. I got my first one during my 2nd year of college (I don't remember what brand or model it was), and it crapped out about a year later. One memory I have of it was this guy I knew at the time called it "ghetto-looking" because I had to secure the cheap plastic case with Scotch tape. The second one I had was a rugged smartphone called the Plum Gator 3. While I love rugged devices because they're made to take a beating, I couldn't root it and put something like Ubuntu Touch on it because the bootloader wasn't available. Aside from being forced to run Stock Android on it, it wasn't too bad of a phone. Then the door to the battery compartment broke and I had to ditch it, which then led to me getting the piece of crap flip phone, the Alcatel GoFlip3. Now I have a rugged flip phone called the Kyocera DuraXV Extreme, which has been FAR better than the GF3.

Why I'll never get another smartphone is because:

1) Depending on what phone you get, they're often too expensive

2) They're actually not smart "phones", they're pocket PCs. You don't need all of these bells and whistles on something that was intended to perform basic functions.

3) The abundance of apps (especially the proprietary ones) makes them addicting. I thankfully never got addicted to the ones I had, but its annoying to see some of my coworkers be that way. Because they're your age, they grew up with that behavior, but it would've been nice if their parents didn't pacify them with technology.

4) The abundance of apps also makes people consume more data, which then makes their phone bill go up. Because lockdowns have ruined global economies, I'd like to imagine parents aren't going to be so lenient when it comes to their kids phone bills, and will either make them downgrade to a non-smartphone, or make them pay their own bills (which could then lead to them getting a non-smartphone on their own). Then again, I've seen my boss' mom pull out her smartphone and tablet for her grandkids to play games on.

5) Tactile button phones make the screen smaller, but that's a minor inconvenience compared to how sensitive touchscreens can be at times

Last edited by a moderator:
Because they're your age, they grew up with that behavior, but it would've been nice if their parents didn't pacify them with technology.
Two days ago, I went out with few of my friends and some other people I've never met earlier (friends of my friends). I was hoping to chat with them the whole day, because I didn't have a chance to go out in last couple of weeks and i really needed to polish my social interactions.
All I could see was some people sniffing their shiny new mobile phones all day. Even my girl friend.
Tried to talk with them many times, but at the end I decided to go out and watch the nature alone.
It is really heart breaking to see what mobile phones have done to majority of the society.

It is really heart breaking to see what mobile phones have done to majority of the society.
I have seen it going on for years, a group of youngsters one end of the bar texting a group of girls at the other end of the bar, they seem afraid to open their mouths and talk, or too lazy to walk across the room

If you're 21, the age to drink in my country, you've probably had a phone since you were 14 - only a smart phone. A person who is 30 years old has probably had a phone since the mid 2000s - and a smart phone the vast majority of that time. (This will be less true in poorer countries.)

That's a major social shift and it is still shifting. It's gonna take a generation or two to figure this out.

Staff online