Do you think people should choose distro according to distro watch rating?

Not by itself, but they should use it as one of their sources of information when making that decision.

Choosing the distro you use is a very personal choice and should be a fully informed choice. Using just some blind data is nothing compared to actually trying a variety of them to see which suits your needs best.

So, by itself? No. As another data point in their decision making? Yes.

You should test various ones on real hardware you are using first. Only way to choose a distro for your unique machine.

Nope a little bit of basic research to find out what distros are user friendly and then try one as a live run and see what you think.

Don't be afraid to learn a little basic Linux how to prior to installing Linux for a good first Linux experience. ;)

The Distrowatch top 100 is based not on the number of users but the number of downloads, QED it is not a true representation, it is OK for a guide but should be taken with a large dose of salt, and blended with other information, which will work best on my Kit, do I like the look of it, can I live with it every hour of every day,

but the number of downloads,

Actually, it is the number of hits on the download pages, which DistroWatch say themselves, with

The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch was accessed each day, nothing more.

Some presume that if you go "there" you will download.

Wiz

Do you think people should look the distro watch to select the distribution?

Nope - I don't care about other people's opinions, reviews or ratings, or even what's popular. I prefer to check things out for myself.
Whenever I decide to look for a new distro, I always take a few different distros for a test-drive, to see what works best on my hardware and what fits in with the way that I like to work.

I would have to agree with the sage advice already given. Test drive the distros of interest on real hardware no VM's and see which one 1. works with your machine best and 2. is pleasing for you to use. You can narrow down the number you test by making a list of what you think you need/want in a Distro/Desktop. Is it speed? Gaming? Office work?, ETC. Audio/ Video? Narrow your choices then test several that seem to fit the bill.

Last edited:
Because it's number one doesn't mean it's number one for everyone...just like...phones and cars.
happy0035.gif

They have Linux Lite at number 12 and Linux Mint at number 3 but for me Linux Mint is number 1 and Linux Lite number 2 but that's just me.
happy0034.gif

Members online