Do you use ethernet cable or wireless to connect to your internet?

smooth_buddha

Reaction score
Credits
hey guys just curious to know if you use ethernet cable or wireless to connect to your internet??? Ive read ethernet is slightly quicker and more stable! was just curious if its actually noticeable or if its only slightly better by degree's??

We have regular guy fiber internet 100mbs up & down zero complaints.

The desktops are all wired and the connection is stable and the speed is excellent and don't have any buffering issues.

The laptops are wireless and work well throughout the house although sometimes experience buffering with streaming videos.

The laptops are Widows 10 Pro which could be the reason for the buffering when streaming videos although I may be wrong.

Well, I use wired ethernet for the desktop computer I refer to as "the lab", and my other desktops, but I use Wireless for the Pi 4. That way, I can leave the Pi on to run Boinc while shutting everything else down. Less "phantom loading" don't ya know! ;) I've read postings saying that the Pi was not a good desktop, but I have to disagree. It has limitations, like any computer, but it seems to do everything I ask of it.:)

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:
Well, I use wired ethernet for the desktop computer I refer to as "the lab", and my other desktops, but I use Wireless for the Pi 4. That way, I can leave the Pi on to run Bionc while shutting everything else down. Less "phantom loading" don't ya know! ;) I've read postings saying that the Pi was not a good desktop, but I have to disagree. It has limitations, like any computer, but it seems to do everything I ask of it.:)

Happy Trails,
Paul

i was recently watching some youtbe reviews on the pie4 adn they all concluded that the pie4 can function very well as a dekstop computer. Have to say i was impressed and may look to get one in the future to tinker with.

Are you running puppy linux on the pie4? is a pie4 able to run a standard version of linux ??? or does it have to be a specially made os version for the pie??

Both.
I use wired for my desktop machine. Have used wireless for it but wired seems to be more stable, reliable and slightly faster.
On my laptops it is usually wireless. I used to have to hook up the laptop to wired in order to download and install the drivers for a wireless card but that does not seem to be much of an issue these days.

I think the wired connection is generally more stable and often slightly faster. But there are many factors involved there - such as wireless NIC, router, drivers, etc.

There was a time when the difference between wireless and wired was quite noticeable but nowadays the wireless is really just as good as wired.

Outside interference with the wireless radio signal can and does cause some problems though.

When in doubt - hard wired makes troubleshooting a little easier.

I use an Ethernet connection to my desktop computer, and a wireless one to my laptop. One reason is that the laptop doesn't have a dedicated Ethernet port1, or I'd be using that rather than wireless. I've noticed that my connection over Ethernet is much faster than my connection via wireless, 500Mb/s vs 150-200Mb/s on wireless.

I think my cable modem could stand an upgrade, so that I don't have to use a router to provide wireless access. Otherwise they're both usually reasonably stable. Ignoring security concerns, it might be slightly faster if I did it that way. But honestly, I'll take a bit more security over a faster WiFi connection, especially on a laptop that doesn't have a huge amount of storage space to begin with.

1I know there are dongles out there for this, but I haven't found a good one yet that can replace a built in ethernet port, in terms of reliability.

i was recently watching some youtbe reviews on the pie4 adn they all concluded that the pie4 can function very well as a dekstop computer. Have to say i was impressed and may look to get one in the future to tinker with.

Are you running puppy linux on the pie4? is a pie4 able to run a standard version of linux ??? or does it have to be a specially made os version for the pie??
I purchased a kit, and it included the noobs micro sd card. I am using Raspian Buster. I have the 4gb version, and it runs fine.

Wifi from the router to every box in the house. That would be 4 desktop units, 2 laptops, up to 5 Android tablets, and 4 Android phones. Obviously, not every box is running at the same time - probably 3 desktops and a tablet consistently.

Most of the time I feel better to use wireless for portability, wired is stable but wireless also giving same performance with upgraded drivers..

I use wired as my main PC is not fitted with a wireless card and that don't bother me none as I prefer wire to wireless. My router is also a wireless router so I can use wireless for my laptop, though it is not hard to establish a wire connection as I only use my laptop on the desk anyway.
I obtain 100 Mbs over my connection with no problems

I use wired as my main PC is not fitted with a wireless card and that don't bother me none as I prefer wire to wireless. My router is also a wireless router so I can use wireless for my laptop, though it is not hard to establish a wire connection as I only use my laptop on the desk anyway.
I obtain 100 Mbs over my connection with no problems

I think im going to switch to a wired connection for my main pc and then just use wireless for my devices like ipad, phone n laptop!

Wired only for me...across the board, I don't mess with wireless junk. I consider it a security breach waiting to happen. All the WEP, WPA, etc., have been cracked. I keep saying only a matter of time til WPA2 gets roasted by the hackers, but nobody listens.

Wired only for me...across the board, I don't mess with wireless junk. I consider it a security breach waiting to happen. All the WEP, WPA, etc., have been cracked. I keep saying only a matter of time til WPA2 gets roasted by the hackers, but nobody listens.
I just picked up a usb ethernet adapter for my laptop, for essentially those reasons. Only problem is there's no ethernet connection at work. So, I just run Linux, and keep it secured (insanely long passwords, MFA, etc.)

ha... on which computer?

On the HP server, two bonded ethernet NICs
On the ABS tower, mostly Ethernet
On the Dell Laptop, mostly Wifi
On the Lenovo Laptop, both
On the Intel NUC, both
On the MPM ruggedized, ethernet.
On the MiniPC, all 3. Ethernet on two different networks, and wifi.

The Dell laptop is the only non-Linux (MickeySoft) system.
20200412_184904.jpg

Last edited:
@dos2unix
Wish I had half that amount to move around in, but I ain't complaining. ;)

ha... on which computer?

On the HP server, two bonded ethernet NICs
On the ABS tower, mostly Ethernet
On the Dell Laptop, mostly Wifi
On the Lenovo Laptop, both
On the Intel NUC, both
On the MPM ruggedized, ethernet.
On the MiniPC, all 3. Ethernet two two different networks, and wifi.

The Dell laptop is the only non-Linux (MickeySoft) system.View attachment 6006

I had to show this to my wife, as she is bumfoozled when she looks at my room {bedroom turned cp room when the last son moved out} with all the wires, cps, printers, scanners, electric boxes, flash drives, external drives etc. I do have to admit that neatness is not one of my strong points. But, I do seem to get stuff done.
OG TC

Members online