document to image

marbles

Reaction score
Credits
hi all

i have to upload a document (3 pages, i have it in pdf or odt) but the website i need to upload it too only accepts images (specifically BMP/JPG/GIF/PNG)

how to do this conversion?

thx for reading

Last edited:

Code:
convert filename.pdf filename.jpg
converts "filename.pdf" to a jpeg with the name "filename.jpg".

The convert command is part of the ImageMagick package, which on debian is: imagemagick-6.q16.

In debian, imagemagick may need a configuration change to enable it to work with pdf files, so if you have this problem, it's an easy amendment to make to have it work. Other distros may not have this restriction.

Last edited:
i've never heard of that program and i assure you i'm too stupid to figure it out

i hope there is a built in program i can do the conversion with

thanks for your prompt reponse

i've never heard of that program and i assure you i'm too stupid to figure it out

thanks for your prompt reponse
There aren’t any built in programs to do it.
But if you install imagemajick, you should be able to use the convert command to convert from pdf to jpg using a simple terminal command, as pointed out by @osprey. That’s probably the best option.

There are some websites with free online converters for changing from one document type to another. I don’t use any myself, so I couldn’t make a recommendation, or vouch for the safety of any such websites. But that’s another option you could explore yourself.

Failing that - you could do it manually:
1. Open your pdf file in an e-reader like Evince (gnome), or Okular (QT/KDE), or whatever.
2. Put the pdf viewer into full-screen mode (usually via the F11 key) and ensure the whole page is displayed on the screen.
3. Take a screenshot using a screenshot tool. Repeat for each page.
Pretty simple!

Or if you don’t have a screenshot tool installed:
With your pdf viewer in full-screen mode, displaying the whole page:
1. Press the ctrl + alt + printscreen keys at the same time.
2. Open Gimp and go to ‘Edit->Paste as->New image’
- then you can export your screenshot from Gimp as a .jpg.

Then switch back to your pdf viewer and repeat the process… Move to the next page, take another screenshot via ctrl+alt+printscreen, go to Gimp, use "paste as new image", then export the image. Repeat that for all pages.

If you only have three or four pages in your pdf, it should only take a couple of minutes!

And you don’t have to use Gimp, you could use any other image editing software, I just used Gimp as it’s what I know and use.

The ctrl+alt+printscreen keybind is pretty universal and should work on all distros.
Once you’ve taken a screenshot, you should be able to paste it in any paint-like program.

Last edited:
i forgot to mention that i don't see imagemagick installed on here

nor do i see xnconvert

i don't want to do screenshots (which is why i posted the question on here ;)

i give up.

O come on! If I can figure it out anyone can. Install ImageMagick with synaptic package manager.

i don't feel comfortable using anything that didn't already come on here. thanks for your response though

Its practically impossible to continue using Linux or any operating system without ever learning how to make changes. Installing a package such as ImageMagick with synaptic is one of the easiest things to do. Simply open synaptic and type ImageMagick in the search window. Then right click on it and choose "install" and then click "apply changes".

i don't feel comfortable using anything that didn't already come on here. thanks for your response though
Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle or fix is about to happen.

Anything that Synaptic can install on your system is safe.

There may be a built in program: LibreOffice. But LibreOffice may or may not do the conversion. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

1. Open your PDF or ODT files in LibreOffice Writer or Draw

2. Right-click on the image you want to convert

3. Choose Save (located in about the middle of the menu)

4. In the dialog box that opens, you can name your new file, choose where to store it, and with the dropdown box in the lower right corner you can choose which image format you want to save it as.

Good luck!

You should have poppler-utils installed by default, if not you can use the Synaptic Package Manager to get it - it is in the repositories

To run
Code:
pdftoppm -png mydocumentname.pdf mydocumentname
where the word "mydocumentname" is your actual document name

You can open a pdf in GIMP and then choose file>export-as and then at the bottom of the "export as" window click "choose file type" and then save it.

Last edited:
Folks, I believe we may be "hammering" the OP and that he may not feel himself capable of following our instructions.

That being said

@marbles given you are in the Mint forum, I presume you have a LInux Mint installed, can you tell us which version?

ImageMagick is likely already installed, but it will not show in your Start Menu.

If you type in at Terminal

Code:
display

and a Wizard logo shows up, you have it.

However if you wish you use it, it involves a learning curve.

I can tell you more if you wish.

Other than that, I would be looking at what Old Tom has suggested at #11 above.

Let us know.

Cheers

Wizard

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts