Does any one use a fingerprint scanner on Linux?

I had a Dell with a fingerprint reader two 'business' laptops ago. I guess it works well in Gnome, but I was able to get it working with (I think) libfprint was the name. It took some effort but I could login with my fingerprint, but that was actually slower than typing my password.

So, depending on who made it, you should be able to get it working to some extent. I was even using LXDE at the time, with LXDM possibly. It was circa 2015 or 2016.

No, my device doesn't have that feature, and would've never got it if it did. Considering Linux is all about digital rights, there'd be no point in developing it for the ecosystem, because your fingerprint can reveal so much information about you, which can easily be used against you by the wrong people. The BEST example of how dangerous fingerprint scanners are is when someone lifts your print off of your device, and then uses to plant evidence on you for a crime you didn't commit. In that situation, especially when people are paid off to screw you over in court, you have a snowball's chance in Hell of proving your innocence.

For proof of that example in action, read this article: https://www.pcmag.com/news/heres-how-hackers-steal-fingerprints-from-your-phone The only thing I don't necessarily agree with is the researchers saying not to root your phone or use 3rd party apps. While it is true that some 3rd party apps can be actually be honeypots created by random skilled hackers engaging in identity theft, I'd NEVER trust Google or Apple with my biometric data because of their connections to the NSA, and because their mountain of controversies regarding data-mining and privacy. The best thing to do is to never buy a phone or any other device that has a fingerprint scanner so you never have to deal with either issue.

Here's a Forbes article talking about how fingerprint scanners are a horrendous idea: https://www.forbes.com/sites/joseph...artphone-fingerprint-readers/?sh=463173443a95

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a finger print reader which I attempted to use when I first got this laptop but it was never consistent and gave up on it after a while. I don't need it anyway. If I remember right I use fingerprint gui found here

My laptop has a fingerprint reader not yet completely supported by fprintd (although support is in progress). I have a USB reader at my work PC, which works sometimes.

Staff online

Members online