Does anyone know if it is safe to disable secure boot?

Ismael123

Reaction score
Credits
Good day everyone!

I have been trying to find an answer on the internet, but its quite mixed in opinions. Is there any major risks of getting malware if I disable secure boot or should I just be careful of what I download on the internet? I have heard that operating systems like TAILS will not work with secure boot and some drivers wont work either.

i'm on slackware on a laptop with UEFI firmware and 64 bit processor. " Secure boot" is one element of uefi . I have secure boot disabled but my laptop is still booting using efi partition uefi etc

This is a quote from Pat Volkerding regarding dual boot Windows and slackware :

You'll need to enter the UEFI menus and
disable Secure Boot, since Slackware does not currently work if Secure
Boot is enabled. Windows will continue to work fine without it.

full quote at :

every works !

I have been trying to find an answer on the internet, but its quite mixed in opinions.
Opinions are quite mixed here too. ;)

If you run a Linux distro that supports Secure Boot, why would you disable a security feature that might save you from disaster? If you run a Linux distro that will not work with Secure Boot enabled, then this is no longer a question that needs a solution.

Good day everyone!

I have been trying to find an answer on the internet, but its quite mixed in opinions. Is there any major risks of getting malware if I disable secure boot or should I just be careful of what I download on the internet? I have heard that operating systems like TAILS will not work with secure boot and some drivers wont work either.
Yes, it is "safe" to disable Secure Boot.
Secure boot is an attempt by Microsoft and BIOS vendors to ensure drivers loaded at boot time have not been tampered with or replaced by "malware" or bad software.
With secure boot enabled only drivers signed with a Microsoft certificate will load. This helps to keep a users computer secure from malicious software being loaded at boot.
I think root kits were the genesis of the secure boot scheme.
That being said - if you are a wise and savvy computer user and surfer of the internets it is unlikely that a malicious driver will find its way into your machine.

Staff online