Does Linux play with Ebay?

V

Videodrome

I've been helping out a small business owner streamline his network and he wants to expand online sales. One of his employees complains about using Linux and said that it has a problem with Ebay.

Apparently, Ebay really does lack Linux Support in some areas. I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. Is it Linux in general, or is Ebay just picky about the Web Browser?

Otherwise, I have overhauled 2 badly corrupted Windows machines and put Crunchbang Linux on them with the owner's approval. He does appreciate the improved web performances and being free of viruses.

Hello Videodrome
I congratulate your efforts to spread the Linux word.
I have used Linux and Ebay for over 10 years with no problem.
The Employees could help help them selves by giving examples, there could be a problem but without a description little can be done.
I suspect said employees should be Ex employees, as they appear not to have the will to better them selves or their employer.
Could be wrong !
Trev

Well.... I just got an email from them saying they have an unspecified Ebay related problem when using the Linux computer I set up. After Googling, there does seem to be common issues relating to Linux and Ebay.

Or maybe it is how Browsers are typically configured on Linux. Some comments I've read make it sound like this could be Java related. It has to do with loading pictures into a new Ebay listing.

In the meantime, I suggested trying to upload pictures to Photobucket and then add those images to the Ebay listing.

Could we maybe look at this another way around?

Instead of asking if Linux it has a problem with Ebay. Could you maybe tell us exactly where and what is the problem that is being experienced?

My understanding is that they are having trouble uploading pictures to Ebay when they create a new listing. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Wish I could be more specific. I'm actually in my college class reading the description of their problem from an email.

Does Ebay give any kind of error message?

One problem seems to be that pictures with the extension .JPG don't work because of case-sensitivity - but .jpg does work...

I emailed them back asking for more specifics and haven't heard back yet.

o_O

Well, the fact that Ubuntu 14.04 (dev) has Ebay as a search option leads me to think Ebay has no problems with Linux.

Well, the fact that Ubuntu 14.04 (dev) has Ebay as a search option leads me to think Ebay has no problems with Linux.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait to hear more from them if they need help.

The website, and ebay is no exception, interacts with the browser and plugins, not the OS. So if there is a problem, it's with the browser, plugins or configuration of these.

From memory - I seem to remember someone I know having problems with the picture uploader when using a certain browser. This would be javascript related, not java related.

You should try the three main browsers - chromium, firefox and opera 12.x and see which are affected...

I know i've had issues uploading pictures (the issue is that you can't) with chrome... but it works fine if you use firefox.

I know i've had issues uploading pictures (the issue is that you can't) with chrome... but it works fine if you use firefox.

Could there be a difference with Iceweasel? It's basically the same thing right?

I've been helping out a small business owner streamline his network and he wants to expand online sales. One of his employees complains about using Linux and said that it has a problem with Ebay.

Apparently, Ebay really does lack Linux Support in some areas. I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. Is it Linux in general, or is Ebay just picky about the Web Browser?

Otherwise, I have overhauled 2 badly corrupted Windows machines and put Crunchbang Linux on them with the owner's approval. He does appreciate the improved web performances and being free of viruses.

Ebay and Linux do not need to be compatible. The web-browser must be compatible. Firefox, Google Chrome, and Chromium support Ebay without issues.

The website, and ebay is no exception, interacts with the browser and plugins, not the OS. So if there is a problem, it's with the browser, plugins or configuration of these.

From memory - I seem to remember someone I know having problems with the picture uploader when using a certain browser. This would be javascript related, not java related.

You should try the three main browsers - chromium, firefox and opera 12.x and see which are affected...

The developers of Opera have dropped support for Linux. Opera 12.x is old.

Well Opera 12.x is is still supported (for now) and it's worth installing to check if it has the same problem with ebay.

As Opera 15 is only repackaged and rebranded chromium - there wouldn't be much point in installing it even if it were available for *nix.

As Opera 15 is only repackaged and rebranded chromium - there wouldn't be much point in installing it even if it were available for *nix.

Opera 15 is not rebranded as Chromium.

I know I am being technical, but he did not state Opera is re-branded as Chromium, but rather is re-branded Chromium. (I could not resist.:()

Opera 15 is not rebranded as Chromium.
You're completely correct, but that's not what I said...

Opera 15 is [just a] repackaged and rebranded chromium. It's not Opera or the presto engine, it's just chromium with Opera's branding and some other bells and whistles.

Opera went from being a distinct and relevant browser with a loyal following, to an irrelevant one.

Where is this Opera 15 available for download? I just have to try it.

Members online

Latest posts