Domain Name Resolution

S

sgh-rda

Hi Guys,

I have a customer that uses domain names in CUPS. The DNS server is on the local network. After migrating their server from Debian Lenny to Ubuntu 12.04, their printers stopped working. I found the following:
  • CUPS (running on the new server) is configured to use domain names instead of IP addresses to locate printers on the local network.
  • The printers in question are all connected directly to Windows workstations and shared on the local network.
  • On the new server, nslookup, dig and host commands can all resolve the domain name to the correct IP.
  • I have verified that the new server is using the correct DNS server.
  • Problem: On the new server, I cannot ping the printers workstation's host names but I can ping the IP addresses.
  • CUPS cannot resolve the printers but, if I switch them to use the IP address instead of domain name, everything works.
  • These printers all worked fine using the same domain names on the old Debian server. All I did was copy the /etc/cups/printers.conf file from the old server to the new and restart CUPS.
Can anyone suggest what I'm missing? I'm baffled that the domain name is being resolved and I can ping the IP but not the domain name.

Thanks for any insight.

Do all other resolutions work fine from the new server?
I suppose yes.

"On the new server, nslookup, dig and host commands can all resolve the domain name to the correct IP."

So you can resolve any hosts but the printers?
Can you resolve the printers from another host?

If not, is there a difference in the definition of the RR records between the printers and other hosts?
RRs missing for the printers while defined for the other host?
Might be important...

Have you also analyzed the traffic to see what happens on the wire?
Log files checked?

Staff online

Members online