Doomsday Laptop / Data Prepping

tinfoil-hat

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I want to create a doomsday Laptop with an apt repo for Debian and Ubuntu. Kiwix pages and Openstreetmap Data. Is there anything else, you would put on your doomsday Laptop, besides Media like Music and Videos?

I do not have a "Doomsday Laptop", but I carry a bootable USB drive in my laptop bag. It has all kinds of useful backup tools, data recovery tools, helpful analysis utilities, etc. Does that count? By the way, I highly recommend the habit. Saved my @$$ more than once.

A deadman's switch?

Hmm... Probably a few how-to books, just to make sure. Otherwise, not a whole lot.

Where I live, I'm pretty well out of the way. In a doomsday situation, I'm either dead or I'm just fine, a bit inconvenienced perhaps.

I often joke about watching the world end through my picture windows while sipping wine and eating fancy cheeses. I don't even have to worry about zombies!

I generate more energy than I use, on top of that. So, until those batteries start going, I'm pretty set.

I might need some staples, like salt and flour. I've got transportation that'll run on some pretty dirty fuel and a large stash of heating oil and diesel immediately available. Rationed, that'd last quite a long time.

Among the list of 'stupid things I own' is an inbound call router. I have all sorts of things downloaded already, so I could pretty much offer a form of 'internet' to my neighbors. (It shouldn't be too hard to power a TelCo switch.)

As far as resources go, there's no reason for looters/marauders to venture out my way. There are far juicier targets that are much closer to the population centers. Spending precious fuel to come to my house would be a poor choice as far as logistics go. While I'm not in a population-dense area, there are enough adult males experienced with firearms in my area to where we could maintain the pinch-points without much trouble. We'd be kinda like a porcupine in those regards. There are easier meals. We aren't on a route that's between to places.

There's a farm immediately available and it's a traditional New England farm, meaning it's not just cows or pigs. It shouldn't be too hard to grow a wheat crop. Even if we had to harvest it manually, that shouldn't be a problem. We have beasts of burden available.

There's even plenty of fruit available. Plus I have a huge stash already. I probably won't even run out of wine. Building a still won't be a problem, so I could even have spirits to go with my wine.

If it was bad enough, I'd probably have to venture into a populated area eventually. We will need medicine eventually, as someone's bound to get hurt, but I've got things to barter with. Among those items to barter with are numerous firearms and a large cache of ammunition.

Should things get really bad, it's not too difficult to at least cross the border into Canada. It's easy enough to do, even if you want to do so without going through an official checkpoint.

. Is there anything else, you would put on
A Faraday cage to keep everything in.

Instructions If you receive a 6-minute warning
Drop trousers
bend forward
place head between legs
and Kiss your butt goodbye

If it is Doomsday the first thing to go would be electricity then diseases would run rampant from all the rotting corpses, then those that are left would most likely become scavengers - The best thing to have if you are one of those who survive is a good weapon with plenty of ammo

Hmm... Probably a few how-to books, just to make sure. Otherwise, not a whole lot.

Where I live, I'm pretty well out of the way. In a doomsday situation, I'm either dead or I'm just fine, a bit inconvenienced perhaps.

I often joke about watching the world end through my picture windows while sipping wine and eating fancy cheeses. I don't even have to worry about zombies!

I generate more energy than I use, on top of that. So, until those batteries start going, I'm pretty set.

I might need some staples, like salt and flour. I've got transportation that'll run on some pretty dirty fuel and a large stash of heating oil and diesel immediately available. Rationed, that'd last quite a long time.

Among the list of 'stupid things I own' is an inbound call router. I have all sorts of things downloaded already, so I could pretty much offer a form of 'internet' to my neighbors. (It shouldn't be too hard to power a TelCo switch.)

As far as resources go, there's no reason for looters/marauders to venture out my way. There are far juicier targets that are much closer to the population centers. Spending precious fuel to come to my house would be a poor choice as far as logistics go. While I'm not in a population-dense area, there are enough adult males experienced with firearms in my area to where we could maintain the pinch-points without much trouble. We'd be kinda like a porcupine in those regards. There are easier meals. We aren't on a route that's between to places.

There's a farm immediately available and it's a traditional New England farm, meaning it's not just cows or pigs. It shouldn't be too hard to grow a wheat crop. Even if we had to harvest it manually, that shouldn't be a problem. We have beasts of burden available.

There's even plenty of fruit available. Plus I have a huge stash already. I probably won't even run out of wine. Building a still won't be a problem, so I could even have spirits to go with my wine.

If it was bad enough, I'd probably have to venture into a populated area eventually. We will need medicine eventually, as someone's bound to get hurt, but I've got things to barter with. Among those items to barter with are numerous firearms and a large cache of ammunition.

Should things get really bad, it's not too difficult to at least cross the border into Canada. It's easy enough to do, even if you want to do so without going through an official checkpoint.
Wow, then you are in a very lucky situation, when Shit hits the fan. Great!

Wow, then you are in a very lucky situation

It really matters as to how that doomsday happened and how long it lasts before things settle down again.

If there's a nuke, they're going to nail BIW (a ship-building facility) pretty hard and I'm close to the edge of the fallout.

If it's just a few months of turmoil, I'm not too worried.

a good weapon with plenty of ammo

Along those lines:

It's about 10 pounds for 5000 rounds of .22lr, which is a surprisingly effective round.

.223 is less than a pound for 100 rounds (though you can get some heavier rounds).

I'd likely carry my trusty Mk II Ruger and one of my AR-15 builds. I'd probably go with iron sights, just to avoid complexity. It's essentially the same rifle I used to qualify at 500 yards - it's just lacking the 'awesome switch'.

(We can discuss firearms as objects, without politics.)

I'd like to own a gun, but as a scitzoprenic it's (rightfully) impossible to own a gun

I'd like to own a gun, but as a scitzoprenic it's (rightfully) impossible to own a gun

There are a few options...

I'm hesitant to tell you them given your mental health issues.
It'd require discussing the laws, which might be considered political.

Feel free to send a PM and I can share a link or three.

I'd rather stay away from guns, I can't tell if I am psychotic, that I point it at me or worse at so else

I'd rather stay away from guns

That's probably for the best.

I'm a stickler for safety. Unless they're to be used, my firearms remain secured. Not just 'secured', but very well secured. I own a number of firearms and I'd hate for them to be used for the wrong purposes. In my case, that's hunting and sport shooting. I have no reason to not store them securely when not in use.

As I often say, "I really, really hate paper. Weather permitting, I kill a bunch of paper at least once a week."

I'm easily amused. It's also hard to have this conversation without politics - or commenting on society. I'm considering the latter a bit too close to politics, so I've omitted a bunch of stuff. I think I'm mostly gonna let this conversation drop (with regard to firearms) before we fly too close to the sun.

Staff online