Downloading & Running Gnu Icecat Browser Issues

Reaction score
Credits
Im new and never done this before, i have a Linux machine and im trying to Download & Run Icecat but i dont get it, I go to Icecat and download the said x2 files to my pc but i cant seem to find anyway to Hash/Verify the downloads as i cant find the Authors Authentic key for the ".sig" file nor do i know how to run the said icecat browser from the file as theres no run option, just a Extracted normal looking Folder called Icecat with loads of other files and folders inside.
I downloaded the appropriate bottom to files here; https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/ then here; https://mirrors.syringanetworks.net/gnu/gnuzilla/60.7.0/
.tar.bz2
.tar.bz2.sig
P.s. i have already tried using the CLI many times prior to the abvove downloads yet to no avail hence me now downloading said files.

normally you just use whatever package manager that you have available to get software, in your case icecat .

have you tried that route yet ?

There should be any need to get the direct download .I have icecat as a browser , along with firefox, seamonkey, chromium .mostly i/m using waterfox as my main browser.

One of your links seems to be language pack. Is it just icecat you want or ..

What Linux operating system are you running ? that will enable helpers here to guide you

In the folder you extracted there should be a file named "Icecat" or Icecat Run or some such. It should run if you just click (or double click) on it. You do not necessarily have to "install" it (but you may want to).
Like this:
icecat.png

They may need to make the file executable.

In the right directory:

Code:
chmod +x ./<file_name>

The download of Icecat is ancient 60.7 while current Firefox is 87.0-1.
You can download the Icecat source and compile a newer build. But why not just use Firefox?

Or if you are wanting a more "secure" browser give Librewolf a try.

2021-03-26-144855_1360x768_scrot.png

Last edited:
normally you just use whatever package manager that you have available to get software, in your case icecat .

have you tried that route yet ?

There should be any need to get the direct download .I have icecat as a browser , along with firefox, seamonkey, chromium .mostly i/m using waterfox as my main browser.

One of your links seems to be language pack. Is it just icecat you want or ..

What Linux operating system are you running ? that will enable helpers here to guide you
I am on MintOS 20.1 and would love to have waterfox as well but i have tried endless times to download both yet i only see Tarballs for the said browsers and i am a Linux virgin so way too much for me to handle a Tarball unfortunatly. Thanks for your reply, i got locked out hence my late reply as been re-installing OS on a VM which has taken me days... :0

In the folder you extracted there should be a file named "Icecat" or Icecat Run or some such. It should run if you just click (or double click) on it. You do not necessarily have to "install" it (but you may want to).
Like this:View attachment 8823
Yes, i seen the said file and i can open it, theres another file, same name.bin which also opens up the Browser which baffled me more, also i not able to put browser icon on desktop bottom bar as just a file in a folder which also baffles me more, is this normal for you Linux people?

They may need to make the file executable.

In the right directory:

Code:
chmod +x ./<file_name>
Yes, i did that in permissions using the GUI and browser open but thought i need icon on computer looking like a normal browser.

Yes, i did that in permissions using the GUI and browser open but thought i need icon on computer looking like a normal browser.

I have no idea what the icon will look like. It may just have a generic icon. I have seen the GUI way not make the file executable and have still had to run the command in the terminal (it was probably a distro-specific bug). So, I always just do it in the terminal - that way I know it's done and done properly.

The download of Icecat is ancient 60.7 while current Firefox is 87.0-1.
You can download the Icecat source and compile a newer build. But why not just use Firefox?

Or if you are wanting a more "secure" browser give Librewolf a try.

View attachment 8824
I already have Firefox, me using that for banking stuff only and i managed to even go into about:config and randamise the fingerprint which impressed my self ! I did also try Librewolf too many times, i think i spent 4 full days with that but me not able to deal with Tarball and no .deb available for mintOS and the image i downloaded but couldnt verify it using the .sig probably because i not know much and no real explaination about Hashing it. I have the appimage inside a folder which i can run but i cant take it out of the said folder or do the icon thing on the computer, way too confusing so it just lives inside the longstory folder unfortunatly. Thanks

Yes, i seen the said file and i can open it, theres another file, same name.bin which also opens up the Browser which baffled me more, also i not able to put browser icon on desktop bottom bar as just a file in a folder which also baffles me more, is this normal for you Linux people?
I don't have Icecat installed but I do have a Palemoon download.
In the Palemoon folder, the file to click on just shows "palemoon" - not the palemoon.bin file.

Is the Icecat program showing in your Menu? If so, you can right click on it and select "Add to panel".
If not, add it to your applications Menu and from there add it to your panel.

I already have Firefox, me using that for banking stuff only and i managed to even go into about:config and randamise the fingerprint which impressed my self ! I did also try Librewolf too many times, i think i spent 4 full days with that but me not able to deal with Tarball and no .deb available for mintOS and the image i downloaded but couldnt verify it using the .sig probably because i not know much and no real explaination about Hashing it. I have the appimage inside a folder which i can run but i cant take it out of the said folder or do the icon thing on the computer, way too confusing so it just lives inside the longstory folder unfortunatly. Thanks

Take a look at the LibreWolf thread, it shows how to make a .desktop file and add the browser to your Menu.

Librewolf and Tor Browser on my Internet Menu
2021-03-31-164755_1360x768_scrot.png

Members online