Drivers for Dell Latitude wireless adapter

shinnen

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I have a Dell Latitude E5410 with Linux Mint installed. Does anyone know where I can get the drivers for the installed DW1520 wireless adapter; or if they're available at all?
Thanks,
....... john

I believe that is the Broadcom BCM4322. I would think Mint would have drivers for this.
So, how do you get internet without Wifi?
Do you have an ethernet connection you can use temporarily?

Hi dos2unix,
Yes, I have BCM4324, and I'm able to connect by wire. However Wifi does not work, for some reason.
I'm new to Linux. My daughter gave me this laptop, with Windows 7, which I have not been able to boot up; so I decided this would be a good time to give the Linux, I downloaded a few months ago, a try. I have several Windows computers, so I'm not stuck.
........ john

I believe that is the Broadcom BCM4322. I would think Mint would have drivers for this.
So, how do you get internet without Wifi?
Do you have an ethernet connection you can use temporarily?

Please open a terminal and run
Code:
sudo lshw -c network
then copy/paste the output here in a CODE box. Or run
Code:
lspci
in a terminal.

Hi jglen,
That's odd. On my computer your commands show up as sudo 1shw -c network and 1spci; but Linux suggested I use lspci instead of 1spci. However, when I copy and paste what your commands into my reply the 1s shows up as a ls .......... very odd.
In any event when I use ls instead on 1s I get blocks of information from both commands. The problems is that I have no idea how to copy and paste these into the forum post.
Thanks,
......... john

It is supposed to be lowercase L's.

Do you have an Xwindows GUI desktop on your linux system?
Copy and paste in Linux is exactly the same as in Windows.

Highlite whatever you want copied, press the Crtl and the C keys at the same time.
Click your mouse into the window (the forum message you are posting a reply into)
and press the Crtl and the V keys at the same time.

If for some reason you cannot paste the output, at least type in the line that is similar to..

09:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a)

You should at least one line (maybe more) that says Network controller or Wireless
in it somewhere.

Hi dos2unix,
Oops! I thought it was a "1".
Here's what I copied. I hope it's what you want. I'm not at all familiar with Linux. (No, Windows 7 is on this computer, but it doesn't work.)
Thanks for your help.
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: wlp2s0
version: 01
serial: 5c:ac:4c:65:43:ec
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=6.30.223.271 (r587334) latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:17 memory:f5500000-f5503fff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: NetXtreme BCM5761e Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
logical name: enp11s0
version: 10
serial: f0:4d:a2:82:fa:1e
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.137 firmware=5761e-v3.73 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:28 memory:f2d10000-f2d1ffff memory:f2d00000-f2d0ffff

description: Wireless interface
product: BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n

I think this is what we were looking for.
Do you have wpa_supplicant installed and NetworkManager-wifi.
After these are installed... I would reboot.

After this, what is the output of
nmcli con show

Also I see you have...
logical name: wlp2s0

So I would think you could also do a...
nmcli dev wifi list

If you see the wifi networks, I can tell you how to connect.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have no idea if wpa_supplicant or NetworkManager-wifi are installed. How do I find that out and if they are not, how do I get them?
Thanks,
...... john

To see if they are installed.

sudo apt list --installed | grep wpa
sudo apt list --installed | grep wifi

I think I found a reference or two that may help, but which version of Mint are you using? They both may be a "bit" dated:

The second one is for Ubuntu, but Ubuntu and Linux Mint are very similar to each other.

Hi dos2unix/jglen,
Here's what I got on the two commands you recommended.
WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.
wpasupplicant/now 2.4-0ubuntu6.2 i386 [installed,upgradable to: 2.4-0ubuntu6.6]
shinnen@shinnen-Latitude-E5410 ~/Desktop $
shinnen@shinnen-Latitude-E5410 ~/Desktop $ sudo apt list --installed |grep wifi
WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.
shinnen@shinnen-Latitude-E5410 ~/Desktop $
I'm using Linux Mint 18.3 'Sylvia' "Cinnamon 32-bit"
Thanks,
........ john

P.S How do I prevent Linux from continually asking for my password.
Thanks,
....... john

you mean dispense with sudo for a while and use # (root)?

What happens when you do :

Code:
sudo su

and enter password (hopefully once)

Hi Captain,
Nothing much happens. I'm using access to my Driver Manager as a test to see if my password has been nullified, and I still need it to access the Driver Manager.
Thanks,
...... john

P.S How do I prevent Linux from continually asking for my password.
Thanks,
....... john
It should only ask if elevated permissions are required ... such as with apt. And it should. You can go into an extended elevated permissions session, at your own risk with sudo -i.
But don't do that.
Try this, as that second reference was pretty bad:
Code:
sudo apt install broadcom-sta-dkms
you will need to have the universe repo enabled. It should run a dkms session that will install the driver for BCM43224. It's identical to what the Debian home site refers to for your wifi chip.

Hi jglen,
I haven't figured out how to enable universe repo(sitory?). Should I be connected to the net for this?
Thanks,
....... john

Open the Muon package manager (should be installed by default). At the top bar select Settings -> Configure Software Sources -> (enter your password when prompted) -> (in the Software Source dialog window, under the Ubuntu Software tab) -> Check (the box for) Community-maintained free and open-source Software (universe). Then select the Close button.

Members online

Latest posts