Dual Boot error

SlipSand

Reaction score
Credits
Scrounged the interwebs for some solution to my issue already. Doesn't appear to be a secure boot issue. Here is the problem.
Installed Win 10 known working. Installed Fedora 35 Workstation, realized I wanted it on another drive so reinstalled on another drive. Upon reboot windows was no longer recognized in BIOS.
In Fedora I can inspect the drives and locate the Win SSD. Still able to view the files and such so the drive is good. Pretty sure the second install of Fedora corrupted my boot mgr.
Tried creating a bootable super grub 2 USB and it freezes upon activation and says entering repair mode.

UEFI was enabled on all installs of all OSystems so I don't think that's the issue.

First time Linux user I know you guys are a little friendlier than those Win guys. Any help is greatly appreciated before I wipe and learn the hard way.

G'day Brian.

1. So Fedora is working OK at the moment? In session, that is.

2. If all was good, you would have a Grub Menu at bootup which would have Fedora on top (maybe 3 lines) followed by a reference to Windows Boot Manager and that is how you would enter Windows. Do I take it you do not have that Grub Menu?

Wiz

Should have asked these too -

3. Can you boot into Windows from the BIOS Setup Utility or the One-Time Boot Menu keys?
4. Do you know if Fast Boot is on? If so, switch it off.

Wiz

@wizardfromoz 1 Y, 2 Correct no boot option menu ***Let me edit this to be clear, there is no grub boot selection menu, I can press F11 after POST and select the SSD that has Win 10 installed on it but it gives me a "not installed on this device" error***, 3 BIOS doesn't recognize the Win OS in boot options, 4 Off

Last edited:
OK, I should say first that

...before I wipe and learn the hard way.

may be a quicker option. If you choose that, I would suggest certain modifications to your install procedure. If you do not have a backup or recovery plan for The Dozer, I would also suggest using your Fedora to identify and safeguard any valuable data you have on Win 10.

Before undertaking this next exercise, I would suggest you fire up GParted (GNOME Partition Editor) look at both drives and take a screenshot of each and post it up here.

Also to give us the output from Terminal of

Code:
sudo efibootmgr

If you choose to try to fix this from within Fedora, then first I would suggest to try to reconfigure Grub, reboot and see if it generates a Grub Menu including Windows.

Because you are under UEFI on Fedora, this is a long command, which you can input at Terminal

Code:
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

Once that is completed, reboot the computer and tell us of any changes.

Anything complex you should undertake when you are fresh, I call it "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed".

I have to hunt down some music for Rock Roxx , but I'll swing by later and jot down some more ideas I have.

Cheers

Wizard

efibootmgr:
BootOrder: 0000,000B,USBDEVICE
Boot0000* Fedora
Boot000B* Hard Drive ~this is the Win10 SSD
USB

Entered your long string and got confirmation of completion.
Way ahead of you on backing up the files, going from m.2 to ssd takes too long for me anymore so a break for a few hours on my end as well. Might just stick to VM until I get the hang of this nefarious little black and white guy. Thank you for the input will get back at you later. Keep rockin *air guitar noises*

Unsure how to take screenshots in Linux yet, that being said the Fedora drive partition looks normal. The Win drive partition is missing the usual "free space" in it. Going to attempt to wipe and repeat.
The string you gave me definitely worked, the grub menu populated and allows Fedora or Fedora 'safe mode' and UEFI BIOS settings but still doesn't recognize the Win SSD. Pretty sure whenever I formatted the drive that originally had Fedora on it wiped some temp files that Win had mounted to it. That's the only logical thing I can think of.

Can confirm my suspicion, unsure yet as to the reason why, but Windows added temp files to the Fedora SSD upon install of Win 10 as well. I had setup boot options as such: USB device, Fedora. Is it possible that Fedora detects the bootable USB and bypasses GRUB but the install media still creates files on the Fedora drive? Would have thought that BIOS would negate this type of activity especially running UEFI.

Unsure how to take screenshots in Linux yet, that being said the Fedora drive partition looks normal.

There are many, many ways to take a screenshot in Linux. Your desktop environment may well include such a feature.

I take a lot of screenshots, so I personally like Shutter.

There's also Flameshot, which I've not reviewed, that's kinda growing on me a little. I've used it a few times before, but the current version is pretty solid.

There are many, many ways to take a screenshot in Linux. Your desktop environment may well include such a feature.

I take a lot of screenshots, so I personally like Shutter.

There's also Flameshot, which I've not reviewed, that's kinda growing on me a little. I've used it a few times before, but the current version is pretty solid.

Awesome! Thanks for the intel! I'll try them both out.

There's also my Thread here on Posting screenshots, read at the bottom first then back through the top.

https://www.linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

Your desktop environment may well include such a feature.

It will. Go to Menu and start to type in

screenshot

It is likely GNOME Screenshot aka Screenshot.

@SlipSand do you know what Desktop Environment you installed?

If unsure, you can type in either of the following commands (my comment preceded by a # is not a command)

Code:
echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

# OR

inxi -S

I'll be back a little later

Wiz

Members online