Dual boot issues...

jbar2016

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to get windows 10 and linux mint to dual boot...

I installed windows 10, then setup a dual boot with a 55/45 drive setup. Linux successfully does it's thing, and all seems well in the beginning. Linux bring up the dual boot screen in grub and both windows and linux boot great.

I run into my issue after i boot windows 10, when i am done on win10 i restart the pc and wait for grub but windows boot manager has taken control of my pc and will not let grub boot.

I did look around and found a few solutions that failed to work, i disabled fast startup within windows, i then reset my bios to allow grub to load, and then disabled quick boot in bios, but that did not work.

Is this a windows 10 issue, my pc originally had windows 7 on it and was upgraded to 10 sometime in the past.

This is a 2nd gen core i5 hp desktop, same results on a 2nd gen core ie hp desktop

I believe i have found a solution.

The fix i found was on itsfoss.com, i have only tested twice and could still revert, but so far it is working.

Within windows
Use command prompt with admin privileges

Use:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

Hi jbar! Watch this video, it's the way I dual boot with Windows 7 and a Windows 10 machine. It shows how to separate Grub and Windows MBR so they can't interfere with each other (this is real important when microcrap sends out those mandatory updates for windoze 10). The big problem with Windoze 10 is it doesn't completely shutdown when you reboot. That's how microcrap can claim faster boot times. If you follow this method it will solve the issue, but your Grub and MBR are already coexisting on the same Windoze boot partition. You may need to uninstall your Linux and then reinstall it.

Good luck!

G'day @jbar2016 , you're getting to be a good troubleshooter :)

The issue you describe in #1 can be problematic with Windows 10 in a dualboot situation, whereby certain updates on Windows may run, which feature some modification to their kernel, that then overrides the Linux Kerne's control over the bootloading management.

The fix you found sounds familiar, but if the process repeats in future, then we can look at longer-term solutions.

BB's (@Bayou Bengal 's) input is also good value (as I would expect :D), and is certainly a viable option. Although the author of the vid talks up even more of a storm than I do :D:D

Windows Fast Boot and Hibernation are the culprits in what BB is saying, so unless you feel a need for them, switch them off.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts