Dual Boot Ubuntu and Windows 10

SevroFitch69

Reaction score
Credits
So, I have downloaded the latest version of ubuntu onto a USB and I have confirmed I am able to run "Try Ubuntu". The functionality works fine (except with WiFi but I can connect with eth so its not an issue right now), but when I try to actually download Ubuntu to the computer by clicking "Install Ubuntu", it takes me through the process of installation and reboots my computer but the OS doesnt actually install. Post "Installation" when I reboot, it takes me back to "Try Ubuntu" or "Install Ubuntu". I am never actually able to install it. I have tried everything and am unable so I came here for help.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

ok secure boot must be off , since you can boot from the usb are you maybe rebooting the usb , not the hard drive because usb stick is still in and usb is top of boot priority ? or there is no room to install ?

From the live usb stick with booted up ubuntu what does

sudo lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,model

output ?

Below is output

NAME LABEL SIZE FSTYPE MODEL
loop0 1.9G squashfs
loop1 89.1M squashfs
sda 931.5G ST1000LM035-1RK1
├─sda1 SYSTEM 260M vfat
├─sda2 16M
├─sda3 Windows 483.7G ntfs
├─sda4 Windows RE tools 490M ntfs
└─sda5 447.1G ext4
sdb 57.3G Cruzer Glide
└─sdb1 UBUNTU 18_0 57.3G vfat

Below is output

NAME LABEL SIZE FSTYPE MODEL
loop0 1.9G squashfs
loop1 89.1M squashfs
sda 931.5G ST1000LM035-1RK1
├─sda1 SYSTEM 260M vfat
├─sda2 16M
├─sda3 Windows 483.7G ntfs
├─sda4 Windows RE tools 490M ntfs
└─sda5 447.1G ext4
sdb 57.3G Cruzer Glide
└─sdb1 UBUNTU 18_0 57.3G vfat
Looks to me like either Ubuntu did not install or (more likely) the machine is rebooting and starting the USB 'Live' disk.
Did you walk the install through all the installation steps?
Usually when Ubuntu is finished installing it will give the option to continue 'testing' Ubuntu or to restart and boot into the new installation. Upon choosing to boot into the new installation of Ubuntu it will ask you to remove the USB and hit 'enter'. Try that.
Try rebooting the computer but be sure to remove the USB and let the computer boot from the hard drive. Post back with any results from this test.

Looks to me like either Ubuntu did not install or (more likely) the machine is rebooting and starting the USB 'Live' disk.
Did you walk the install through all the installation steps?
Usually when Ubuntu is finished installing it will give the option to continue 'testing' Ubuntu or to restart and boot into the new installation. Upon choosing to boot into the new installation of Ubuntu it will ask you to remove the USB and hit 'enter'. Try that.
Try rebooting the computer but be sure to remove the USB and let the computer boot from the hard drive. Post back with any results from this test.
No luck. Potentially could it be related to partitions? Also, once downloaded am I going to need to continue to boot from the USB stick (dumb questions but i am at a loss). Also, tried to tinker with some boot settings and cant get it to load the USB stick at all now. But I will be able to square that away.

If you haven't already........
Go into the BIOS boot menu and make the usb device the first choice in the list, save the changes and reboot.

Are you using Rufus or Etcher to make your usb device bootable?

Make sure like captain-sensible said; disable the secure boot.

another thought does your pc architecture match that of the OS i.e is the iso 64 bit and your PC 64 bit ?Actually thinking about it , the os on the usb wouldn't have booted in the first place if that was the problem. See i told everyone i'm still on only 3 cylinders !

Also on my H.P laptop which is gpt /efi I had to also enable legacy support as well as disable of secure boot to get slackware to boot
certainly in theory everything looks good plenty of room , also noticed 5 partitions.Maybe try another OS just to see ?

Last edited:
So lets now see if anything is on sda5

# df -H --block-size=MB /dev/sda5

i just had a coffee so now waking up ; the above is irrelevant since looking at your partitions there is no swap , no root never mind /home , so basically nothing happened from the install process.Maybe better to confirm what i'm thinking that the partition is a gpt /efi

so run from booted up OS from usb stick and lets see to confirm a gpt label:

# fdisk -l

or,

sudo fisk -l

Last edited:
So my secure boot was enabled, so I disabled it. Then upon booting it, got a mmx64 error and "Something Went Wrong" . Then went I went back and enabled it again, I still get the error haha. Do you guys have any idea what that error is? It usually flashes before I can grab it but its an EFI/mmx64 with some other stuff.

Thanks for helping out!!

From the live usb OS any joy on output of ?
#fdisk -l

so does anything now boot ? because it looks like you you somehow might have messed /corrupted up the EFI partition mm64.efi ?? ; you said you have secure boot so that most certainly means uefi, 1st partition of EFI and your PC is 64 bit .

You an try some sort of rescue disk

I wiped my EFI partition from my HP laptop in haste i just recreated it back using CLI tool cgdisk size 100MB of type EF00, then set up swap and partition of ext4 ,but that was on a fresh install , since i wasn't bothered with Windows.

If all else fails ...In theory (i think ) if Windows is all intact except the EFI and you managed to reformat the EFI and a clean install properly Linux with swap to partition sda5 say 2gig , rest on sda6 then the install would write the neccessary to the EFI. That would get ubuntu up. Then if you ran : sudo update-grub or grub-update [can never rememeber]
then that would add Window info to boot options.

best wait till Wiz or some one else checks ideas

#

Staff online

Members online