Dual Boot: Windows/Fedora Laptop: Shared data drive?

oguruma

Reaction score
Credits
Unfortunately, I need Windows for work for a handful of apps that I can't replace on Linux (Photoshop, unfortunately; and no GIMP won't work).

I despise Windows to the point that I currently carry around my "work" laptop (Windows), and my "personal" laptop (Fedora). If it's nothing I need Windows for, I use my Fedora laptop. Both laptops are getting a bit worn and long in the tooth.

I think I'd like to dual boot these OSes on a single laptop. I've heard horror stories about dual booting with Windows and unless you're using GRUB.

What I think I want is a separate Windows drive, a separate Linux drive, and a shared NTFS "data" drive, that both OSes can read/write from/to.

As far as I know, only the Lenovo P53 has 3 nvme slots, and I am willing to buy one.

But, is there another way/better way to do this?

You can partition a single drive and boot both of the same drive. I haven't done this in years, but it used to be a normal practice.

You can partition a single drive and boot both of the same drive. I haven't done this in years, but it used to be a normal practice.

Will Windows be able to screw with the "Linux Partition" though?

What I am trying to avoid is Windows being able to affect the Linux install... I've heard of Windows updates screwing with dual-boot setups, but I don't know how they are able to supposedly do that.

I've never dual booted anything before, so I am quite ignorant.

Staff online

Members online