Dual boot

N

nazukia

Hi everybody :)

I'm on ubuntu, and not a super pro in linux...

To learn new stuff I decided to learn about fdisk, grub, and test other distro

I really dont want to break all my partition during the operation.

could you help me on with this please :)

Code:
nazukia@machine-code:/home/nazukia/fdisk /dev/sda

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders, total 2930277168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000460c2

Device Boot      Start        End      Blocks  Id  System
/dev/sda1  *        2048  2905128959  1452563456  83  Linux
/dev/sda2      2905131006  2930276351    12572673    5  Extended
/dev/sda5      2905131008  2930276351    12572672  82  Linux swap / Solaris

Command (m for help):

I think that I have to reduce the size of sda1 ? and create a new partition after?

Thank :):oops:

So you want to dual-boot, but you need to make another partition. Right? You could use Gparted to partition and format, or must you use the command-line for some reason? Personally, I would recommend using a Gparted livecd. Typically, a Linux distro needs at least 20GB of disk space. With you having about 1.5 terabytes, you can divide your hard-drive how ever you want.

Is that an extended logical partition? Are you dual-booting with Windows? You may want to get rid of the extended partition and make it a regular partition, or do you have a specific reason for keeping it?

Are you dual-booting with Windows?
I dont have window anymore, I dont dont want to anymore hehe.

You may want to get rid of the extended partition and make it a regular partition, or do you have a specific reason for keeping it?
I dont know what is that :
Code:
/dev/sda2      2905131006  2930276351    12572673    5  Extended
Maybe a left over from window ?... (I use to have it)

You could use Gparted to partition and format, or must you use the command-line for some reason?
I really want learn command line and get better at this. I prefer the hard way

I want to create enough space to create another partition.

After that part done. I want to learn boot with grub to install Linux Slackware

Thank :)

I'll go read that righ now.

Do you know parted? is it good?

Also sda1 is my main ext partition, can i resize it just like that while im on in?

thank you arochester :)

oh my good arochester,

that wasnt that easy to understand.

I ends up reading about hard drive partitions table type all a lot of super interesting stuff :) more I learn, more I like hihi...

I didnt to my dual boot yet, I really want to make sure I didn right. but whatever, what I just learn have more value thant this dual boot :)

It would assist us in helping you by telling us about your hardware.
Code:
lspci
Also, if not wanting windows and wishing to learn command line, why not rebuild the partition table after using either shred or the dd command?
Code:
man shred
See in the dd wiki the sections Disk wipe and Creating empty files of arbitrary size

If using gparted, I would suggest first deleting all partitions and then creating one partition for the entire hard drive and formatting it to ext2 and after this create your partitions using a journaled file system, like ext4 (except for the swap, of course).

Welcome, nazukia! It is good to see someone willing to learn in the old school way!

Also, if not wanting windows and wishing to learn command line, why not rebuild the partition table after using either shred or the dd command?

Its definitively what i want. I acually dont have window... I used too but install ubuntu from a Cd and wipe window when I did it.

Unfortunaly I didnt tough about partition when I did that, so Im stuck with 2 partition

1 for linux at /
1 for the swap

It would assist us in helping you by telling us about your hardware.

there is what I get from lspci

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DMI (rev 11)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 11)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor System Management Registers (rev 11)
00:08.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor Semaphore and Scratchpad Registers (rev 11)
00:08.2 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor System Control and Status Registers (rev 11)
00:08.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor Miscellaneous Registers (rev 11)
00:10.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link (rev 11)
00:10.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Routing and Protocol Registers (rev 11)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 06)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 06)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev 06)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a6)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR93xx Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-Core Registers (rev 04)
ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 04)
ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 04)
ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 04)
ff:03.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller (rev 04)
ff:03.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Target Address Decoder (rev 04)
ff:03.4 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Test Registers (rev 04)
ff:04.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 0 Control Registers (rev 04)
ff:04.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 0 Address Registers (rev 04)
ff:04.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 0 Rank Registers (rev 04)
ff:04.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 0 Thermal Control Registers (rev 04)
ff:05.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 1 Control Registers (rev 04)
ff:05.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 1 Address Registers (rev 04)
ff:05.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 1 Rank Registers (rev 04)
ff:05.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Memory Controller Channel 1 Thermal Control Registers (rev 04)

:S I dont understant half of this :`(

Sorry it took long time to get back -- life interfered!
lspci command shows your machine uses a 2nd generation Core processor, Atheros wireless and realtek ethernet cards, AMD audio and graphics -- just for curiosity

As above,
If using gparted, I would suggest first deleting all partitions and then creating one partition for the entire hard drive and formatting it to ext2 and after this create your partitions using a journaled file system, like ext4 (except for the swap, of course).
The alternative is an overnight or longer wait after issuing the command (as root)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync
One big goal is to do a clean install, especially when planning on installing Slackware. So, don't be afraid to wipe it out and start over -- the hard drive, that is.
Then, after either using gparted and/or the dd command, create your partitions.

Hi :)

thank for the answer !

I want to keep my ubuntu one. :
/dev/sda1 * 2048 2905128959 1452563456 83 Linux

But like we see this partition is to big for nothing

my plan, and im supe affraid to do it.

1- wipe my swap partition (its 8 gig)

2- with the free space (use a 3gig as a new partition for a backup)

3- use the last five gig to create another primary partition and install slacware on it

4- change grub from sda1 to allo dual boot on the new sba2 (slackware)

5- Boot from slackware and find the best way to resize the size of sda1

What do you think?

It appears your swap is located within an extended partition and sda1 is overly large.
I would suggest leaving the swap alone for now.

Use gparted to shrink /dev/sda1 to a reasonable size -- as Devyn says, 20-25 gigabytes -- first.

After shrinking /dev/sda1 with gparted, take a snapshot of the graphics gparted shows for the partitions and the hard drive space. Let us see it, please.

One step at a time may be best for you to understand what is going on.

Must go now and attend to business. Shrinking such a hard drive partition will probably take some time. I'll check back in a few to several hours.

Your are doing a good job, just stick with gparted for now.

Just to be sure, Can I shrink this partition while Im on it, meaning that Im currently on ubuntu on this sda1 partition

@Shailendra Patel -- easier is not necessarily better; in addition, OP originally stated "the hard way" is a preference and goal is to install Slackware (not what most ubuntuites want).

Members online