Aboogesnickle

Reaction score
Credits
I am setting up a new computer for games and work. I have looked into Wine/Play on Linux, and also into VMWare for games. Both of those had compatibility issues, and when I did get them working they did not run with the best quality.

I do not want to spend a lot of my time on trying to get games to work, so the best solution I have come up with is dual booting. (If there is an easy Linux solution to this problem, I would be willing to use, but I do not want to deal with a lot of compatibility, and performance issues.)

I want to use Antergos and Windows 10, using Antergos as much as possible, but using Windows 10 when I have to. I plan on playing games and recording gameplay. Now the issue I am going to have with dual booting, is that when I have to boot up the other OS, I am going to have to find a way to record on both OS's and would like to keep some programs up while rebooting like voice chat such as Teamspeak.

So my question is, could I use something like a Raspberry Pi to run the recording software, and the voice chat. I would like to connect a headset to the Raspberry Pi for the voice chat, and also have the game audio come through it as well when the headset is plugged up.

I do not know if it is possible for a Raspberry Pi to do this, and if I need to look into something else, or if the Raspberry Pi can with some extra hardware.

My computer specs are :

Processor: Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard: Crosshair VI
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: plan on 2 RX Vega 64 in crossfire when available

Plan on overclocking, and do not want to waste the hardware trying to game on Linux through Wine or virtual machine.

Now the issue I am going to have with dual booting, is that when I have to boot up the other OS, I am going to have to find a way to record on both OS's and would like to keep some programs up while rebooting like voice chat such as Teamspeak.

Hi @Aboogesnickle, and welcome to the forums! I'm not familiar with Teamspeak, or computer gaming in general, but I just thought I'd jump in about the quote above... maybe I am misunderstanding you on this point.

How might you keep programs running during a reboot? The only possibility (on a single computer) that I see is that you can reboot a virtual machine while the host machine remains running... but you can't reboot the host without shutting down both systems, so nothing can remain running in that case. But you've said a VM setup will not work for you.

But when you bring in the possibility of a Raspberry Pi, I think you do hit on a possible solution: TWO computers. If you want two operating systems running simultaneously that can reboot independently, that seems to be the only way. But if you want adequate speed and horsepower... I don't think the Pi is your answer.

Your computer specs sound awesome for gaming with WIndows 10. Antergos (or any Linux) will run very nicely on much less system resources, like 2GB or 4GB of RAM, plain onboard video... something very simple and basically pretty cheap, but I'd think something better quality than a Pi. But whether a Pi, or a cheap laptop, I don't know that you can take the game audio output from one computer, and pipe it into the other computer in a useful fashion... while at the same time using Teamspeak for chat. It might be possible, but I just don't know... it might depend on audio input (and mixing) abilities of the second computer, but even still I don't know if it would share audio channels simultaneously to a headset. Maybe others here will have better thoughts on that.

And if I've got it all wrong on what you want to do, then help straighten me out and we can try again. Or maybe smarter people will jump in and bail me out. :D

Basically I wan to run some of the programs on a raspberry pi. Like instead of running the voice chat on the computer I am dual booting, I would like to run it on the raspberry pi. That way I can still talk on the voice chat while booting into the other OS. The issue is I want to use a headset for the voice chat,(SteelSeries Siberia 800 Wireless Gaming Headset here not 100% sure linux compatible) and I would also like the game audio to go through the headset as well. I need to be able to record the audio, but I think I am going to just use a capture card to get the video.

Other things I would like it to do is stream music and be able to browse the web, but I am pretty sure its possible to do that.

I'm sorry... your questions are very valid, but my experience is just too limited to help you much. I hope that others will have more knowledge to shine some light on some answers to your questions. I've tried to Google for more info, but my searches result in a lot of negative hits.

For example, this link from the TeamSpeak team on their forum states that ARM CPU's are not supported. That lets out the Raspberry Pi, unless the link I found has been superseded. It is an old link (about 18 months) so it is quite possible, but the link does refer to TeamSpeak as Version 3, which still matches the current major release (3.1.5). Maybe other recording options are available for the Pi that will suit your needs.

Your link shows an Android icon for compatibility with your headset, but the ad doesn't mention Android by name.... just PC, Mac, Xbox, and Playstation. Like you, I am not sure about Linux compatibility. High-end, highly specific hardware is often not supported in Linux unless the manufacturer provides that support. It may work, it may not... but I am a poor judge on this issue. Even though Android is based on Linux, the manufacturer did not state that the headset was "Linux-ready"... so this could be a problem for you too.

Dual booting itself should be easy enough (if you've done your homework on Win 10 and UEFI related issues). I wish you luck in resolving the gaming and audio issues to your satisfaction.

Cheers!