Dualbooting from Linux Mint (not the other way around)

mossen

Reaction score
Credits
So I installed Linux Mint from my previous Win 10, and I've found that I really like Linux as my main driver but still want to use a Win10 for some casual gaming. Wine/Proton is fine, but doesn't work for all my titles.

So I want to install a Win 10/11 boot *from Linux Mint* and I have no idea how to do this. I've read a few guides but they seem to indicate that I need to wipe my current Linux Mint installation completely! So basically, wipe your Linux Mint, then do a fresh Win10 install and *then* do a new dual-boot from the Windows. I would prefer just doing a Win10 dual-boot without wiping my current Mint installation. Is this possible? If yes, then how? If not, then how do I wipe my current installation safely? I'm a fairly casual user, so need detailed instructions.

Thanks.

@mossen G'day and welcome.
I am a Mint user also but the fellow that may help better than I, is me mate @Condobloke as he knows a heck more about it then me.

Here is the problem with install windows after Linux Mint or any other linux distro for that matter.
Windows always thinks it is the only OS on the machine and will wipe the MBR or EFI and replace it so grub is no longer in control of your boot sector. You can reverse this by reinstall grub and updating it.
here how
Your other option is to install and use virtual box on mint and install windows in that.
Here is some info on that:
Virtual box may depend on how much ram you have in the machine as it will need about half of whats there to run smoothly. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

It's best to install Windows first and than install Linux.

Once you have Windows installed you can go into Disk Management and shrink your Windows partition to make room for your Mint installation.

After you have installed Mint don't forget to update grub. That way when you reboot you will have the choice to boot into either Windows or Mint.

Code:
sudo update-grub

Thanks for the mention @Nik-Ken-Bah, but the guys up above this comment have the situation well in hand.

Still have Win 8.1 on an older HP laptop. But Mint is on the other half of the drive. I boot into Linux.

Just built a PC earlier this year, Win 10 only the M.2 NVME drive, Mint on an SSD. The only problem with that one was installation. I had to Unplug the M.2 from the Motherboard, as Linux saw it but would not install to it. Once installed on the SSD, I reinstalled the M.2 powered on and met with 4 choices to boot into Mint, Windows or Bios.

Of course Win being what it is, sees only the other drives without Linux. Mint sees all even the Win drive.

Members online