Duel Install Mint on Windows 7 partitioned drive

Do you think that putting in a new hard drive might make this machine usable as a linux machine?

no idea - vicky, i have not been (if not an expert, then) '"conversational/fluent" with the windozer for 6 years, since i adopted a totally linux environment.

and i am far from being hardware fluent.

the best i can do at this point is to provide some reading and to bounce some ideas off you, as follows:

- on the drive take a look at https://www.howtogeek.com/341268/what-to-do-when-your-hard-drive-fails/ , in particular where it says "How to Get Your Data Off a Failing Drive"

i would try the drive on another machine before expending the dough on a new one.

the SMART feature referred to there is employed across all platforms - windows, mac and linux since around 2010 and if you have not received such a warning, it may or may not mean there is hope for the drive

- on Kepler, if that is the main item of value on Win 7, look at https://astroapex.com/astro-software/ and once there, you can press ctrl-f to find 5 references to linux, worth a look perhaps?

- LUGs - these are Linux User Groups, that have formed all around the world, to meet an swap ideas on Linux. sometimes there is a lot to be said for having someone to sit with who can steer you verbally, or take the driver's seat, and i have been thinking about these for some time for your circumstances.

a Googling of

linux user groups virginia

is a starting point, and it reveals that there are LUGs at

- McLean - NoVaLUG

- RVALUG - at Richmond

- TWUUG - The Tidewater Unix Users Group (Unix being the grandfather of Linux

- and so on:)

obviously this blessed COVID-19 is an issue and NoVaLUG have

COVID-19 advisory For the health and safety of Meetup communities, we're advising that all events be hosted online in the coming weeks. Learn more

HTH (HOPE THIS HELPS) :)

wizard

Blessed Wizard, Thanks again for the input, and if you get any ideas, please let me know. I'll still be around. I'm going to pull the HD and put it back to see if that resets things if you have no more potential ideas about how to get this to boot. I hate to lose the machine. I have the documents backed so I can live without windows. A duel boot would have been nice.

I've looked at several astrology programs from Linux and on the net in general. Nothing is sufficient for my needs. I'll keep looking, so thanks for the ideas.

I'll check out those links before I pull the HD.

So Wizard, may I have your guidance about what Linux OS you would recommend a Dell Inspiron 8000 with Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit sp2, for a clean Linux install. 37GB Samsung MP 0402H (ATA)? As always, thank you for your assistance. How's that shoulder? Are you guys going into winter?

So Wizard, may I have your guidance about what Linux OS you would recommend a Dell Inspiron 8000 with Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit sp2, for a clean Linux install. 37GB Samsung MP 0402H (ATA)?

this will need a new thread, vicky, make subject content relevant and mention dialup need.

i may not get a chance to look in for 72 hours or so, have some major computer work of my own to conduct.

shoulder a little more flexible but still can't type, days getting cooler - thanks

stay safe from covid

wizard