Duel Install Mint on Windows 7 partitioned drive

Can someone tell me how to get a package accessible in Mint live. I used synaptic to try to download wvdialer and kppp dialer, neither of which will run. Thanks.

Boot the "Live" USB.
Once at the Mint desktop open a Terminal.
Code:
sudo apt install wvdial
will work

but I don't have a dial-up modem and could not test the configuration
it did seem to install with no errors though

I used synaptic to try to download wvdialer and kppp dialer, neither of which will run. Thanks.

did you do that from your friend's house or from home?

kppp may not work because it is designed for KDE desktops, you have MATE is that not so?

wizard

Ok, will try to install wvdial from terminal. Also I did not see until today your guidance about 'blowing away sda3 & 4 and making one partition in ext4 format and removing the boot on sda1. Will do all that after resetting windows to factory settings. I can't currently make a repair disk because Windows won't recognize the DVD burner or my external drive as having enough room to accomplish mission. It recognizes the drives, just won't burn iso. Thought maybe it would obey through command line, probably won't allow it regardless. Luckily I do have repair disks from 2014. Then will do as you directed in gparted and try it again. My sincere thanks as always.

Vrai: Thanks for the input. I am weakest in Terminal. When I put the sudo install wvdial, it wants a target directory, and I couldn't figure out what to input. I tried to get the directories listed by using 'ls directory' in several forms and that didn't work either. First it says 'missing destination file operand after 'wvdial'. When I enter 'ls directories it says 'cannot access 'directories': No such file or directory. I tried all caps Directory, as well as just directory. same response. I keep hitting walls. Tried to get guidance from Linuxmint forum. That was a waste. I did read the help file, yet being so illiterate, I didn't get anything useful.

Looks like we succeeded with a modification on your suggestion: 'sudo apt-get install wvdial' did it. It couldn't be set up however, I assume because I have to be home with the modem. Should have thought to bring the modem, as well as the windows 'repair disks' which may convince Windows to allow me to save an ISO to the external drive.

Wizard: I deleted sda3 & 4 and Created one primary ext4 Linux partition. Shall I attempt to make this an extended partition, which I read about and thought I knew how to do, yet I don't find an option 'extended' in the gparted that is available through Mint. If I figure out how to do that should I make a boot area in the first section, then Home and swap? I'll await your reply. Yet I have to leave here in a few hours. Back to dial-up where I'll try to get wvdial working.

Screenshot at 2020-03-27 19-49-42.png

Gentlemen, I re-partitioned the HD to now Have partition 1: sda1 'sys' 41 MB ntfs; partition 2: Windows 7 242GB ntfs; partion3: File system sda3 25GB ext4; Extended Partition 233GB ext4 containing the swap partition 5 9GB; partition 6 224 GB ext4; and 1.1MB Free space unallocated. This occurred during the last attempt to install Mint after deleting sda3 and sda4. The install did occur yet the grub failed again. Boot Repair had me input commands into the terminal, and made reports. So after recovering windows 7 yet again. I'm stuck. Help!!!

Looking at the /dev/sda 3 ext 4 partition that you made and I see that it doesn't have a boot flag.

Open that partition with g-parted (Gparted Live if you have to) and give it a "/" than make it bootable.
Right click on the partition and a small window will open. Choose 'manage flags', in that drop down menu choose 'boot' Than click 'Apply'.

Thanks Alexzee, Do you by chance know the command line to 'run' wvdialer from terminal. It is suppose to be installed [I succeeded from terminal] and it says I can run it, yet I can't find it in the apps nor can I figure out the proper phrase to run it from terminal. Maybe all of this requires a successful install of Mint on the HD. I will check the partitions again in a moment. I've been trying to figure our the modem dialer issue all day today. I thought the partition structure was properly accomplished following directions in the Ubuntu partition tutorial, and the Mint installation process with the help of boot repair. It was stated that it was installing...got the welcome window, and required password input. Then a message that 'grub failed. I followed Wizards directions and deleted sda 3 & 4. Then followed tutorial: after the 'sys' sda1 and windows sda2 partitions, and created 25GB Root primary partition, a 9GB swap and the rest /Home, which resulted in an extended partition being created containing the swap and Home. I'd send a screen shot if I could get one in windows...grrr. sda1 'sys' ntfs 41MB 'do not use this partition'; sda2 'windows 7' ntfs 241642 MB 'do not use' unknown; sda3 '25000 MB ext4 / mount point; sda5 swap 8999MB unknown; and sda6 ext4 ext journaling file sys /home mount point; both sda3 and sda6 were marked with an 'x' in a box preceeding their info, with the device for boot loader being sda. The installer proceeded to install with a welcome screen, during installation, and a window to set password, and then the message 'Grub failed to install grub-efi-amd64-signed 'pkg failed into /target/. It will not boot. Crashed. Tried again installing boot on sda3. This time we get a blank black screen, with the driver blinking light on the front of the machine blinking, with Linux Mint Live usb blinking periodically. Get message 'Grub installation failed again -Bug report. Boot repair for windows MBR told me to run these commands 'grub-pc pkg upgraded. Select devices to install grub. install to be automatic. There was talk about installing it on all drives, which I would have selected if I was given the option, but it never offered the option. It also said 'It is possible to install Grub to partition boot records as well, and some appropriate partitions offered here, however block fist mechanism must be used and makes it less reliable.' Again I saw no options. Then it said ' Grub install devices: /dev sda 7846MB; VBox Harddisk; /dev/sda1 (3634MB; /).' Hit enter. Saw purge grub sda3, reinstall grub. Creating past bin http://past.ubuntu.com/p/bF4h7b7bDGDT/. Then it said 'You may want to retry after creating a /boot partition (EXT4, to 200MB, start of the disk) , which you can do in gparted. Then select this partition via the [separate /boot partition:] option [Boot Repair]. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot Partition)' I'm stuck. Have no clue what to do. Need guidance on how to make screen shot in windows, and how to 'run' an installed program wvdialer from terminal. All help greatly appreciated.

The
Need guidance on how to make screen shot in windows, and how to 'run' an installed program wvdialer from terminal.
"Snipping" tool works very well in Windows - or just use the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard and then paste it into "Paint" (or whatever graphics/photo processing app you like).

Regarding "wvdialer" - if you do indeed have wvdial installed it should run from the Terminal command "wvdial". I just tried it. Installed it and tried to run it.
I got the message that it could not find any "wvdialconf" and that I could create one manually in /etc/wvdialconf. This makes sense whereas I do not have a dial up modem attached! :)

Vrai, You Rule!!! Thanks again. The dang windows wouldn't take a screen shot with print screen. never used snipping tool before. That works. I have a jpg file now. Got a more complete snip.
Capture2.JPG

Now that I look at this from windows disk manager it may not be very helpful. I'll get a shot from linux live . Issue is I have to get off dial-up and reboot machine. I was working today to get wvdialer functional in linux. Still can't find the commands for running the installed wvdialer from terminal.

Ok, the input in terminal to run wvdialer is just <wvdialer> and it should run? Having to get off line to try things is an issue with limited calls per month. Will give it a shot again. At some point there was a message about a missing libgnome2-perl fail. Can't download it into Linux. If I get the file on a usb, how do I get it into Linux? I'm off to get that file, then back here, then off to Linux to try from there again. Thanks for all your wonderful help.

Attachments

• Capture disks.JPG
    Capture disks.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Ok, the input in terminal to run wvdialer is just <wvdialer> and it should run?
I believe it may be <wvdial> not <wvdialer>. Unfortunately I am unable to do much testing on it as I do not have a dial-up modem :/ When I input into my Terminal <wvdialer> I get a "command not found" response. When I input <wvdial> I get a configuration file not found response. Which tells me wvdial is trying to run but has nothing to work with.

If you install wvdial whilst using the Live USB it will not remain between reboots unless you have your Live USB set up with "persistence".

Ok thanks those were two tasty morsels. I'll try it as soon as I get that lib file. It is such slow going.
How do I select 'persistence' in Linux Free?

Last edited:
Ok thanks those were two tasty morsels. I'll try it as soon as I get that lib file. It is such slow going.
How do I select 'persistence' in Linux Free?
You will need to create the Live USB of the Linux .iso with persistence. In other words, when you burn/flash/create the USB with the Linux distro of your choice you would tell the installer/app/program installing the image to your USB to create it with "persistence". I don't know if "persistence" can be added later. UNetBootin works for this. And I think there are many apps available for Windows which will accommodate this.

If you are trying to use your Linux Mint Live USB for installing apps and such (such as wvdial) you may be working against yourself if the Linux Live USB has not been created with persistence.

(Just trying to help here and not make things more difficult for you)

You will need to create the Live USB of the Linux .iso with persistence. In other words, when you burn/flash/create the USB with the Linux distro of your choice you would tell the installer/app/program installing the image to your USB to create it with "persistence". I don't know if "persistence" can be added later. UNetBootin works for this. And I think there are many apps available for Windows which will accommodate this.

If you are trying to use your Linux Mint Live USB for installing apps and such (such as wvdial) you may be working against yourself if the Linux Live USB has not been created with persistence.

(Just trying to help here and not make things more difficult for you)
Great, thanks again. I was thinking of making another usb bootable with Mint in case the Grub got corrupted on my copy. Even though it all checked out and was verified. To be able to save things would make life much easier. I appreciate your tips and will see if Etcher gives that option. If not will acquire UNetBootin if I can.

Great, thanks again. I was thinking of making another usb bootable with Mint in case the Grub got corrupted on my copy. Even though it all checked out and was verified. To be able to save things would make life much easier. I appreciate your tips and will see if Etcher gives that option. If not will acquire UNetBootin if I can.
Vrai, I got the wvdial to install from terminal, yet I can't figure out how to enter into it's configuration the needed phone number, user login, and password. If I could get to a GUI I could do that, yet again the terminal is a challenge. I did crawl around in there trying to figure out the proper commands but failed. It did initialize the modem but the message 'no valid phone number configuration' etc, is the only issue evidently, even though I can't find the program in the machine. I'll have to get to hispeed again before I can download the UNetBootin. Then I'll make another Mint Live usb and the ability to save things may make all the difference. If you, or anyone else, can assist me with the commands to configure wvdial, that would be great. Thanks again for your efforts.

Looks like we succeeded with a modification on your suggestion:

vrai's suggestion was accurate, but you mistyped it.

he said

sudo apt install wvdial

apt and apt-get are two sides of the same coin.

wvdial will only work from Terminal, but gnome-ppp dialer will provide a GUI (graphical user interface, ie point and click from desktop) frontend to it.

it needs to be installed as per wvdial, that is

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp

however you should be aware that any software you install on the live Mint will not survive the journey home from your friend's. you have no persistence on the stick.

1. if you want to end up with something like this in your menu and on the desktop to start your modem

gnome-ppp-sylvia-desktop.png

... then you need to follow my instructions to the letter

... you need to not get ahead of me, just report back outcomes

... then wait for further instructions

at #73 on my wednesday evening, i said, in part

...you want to blow away /dev/sda's 3 and 4 and make one /dev/sda3 in EXT4 format, also to remove that boot flag from /dev/sda1...

you did NOT need

to add additonal partitions for home, boot, swap - these can be handled by the linux mint installer, and then tweaked later, only if needed

to add flags, nor efi references - your system is not UEFI, it is BIOS-MBR and now a reference to UEFI is causing your installer to go looking to install under efi terms, and causing errors

to download from SourceForge that tar.bz2

gppp-0.0.10-prealpha.noarch.tar.bz2

look at its name , includes "pre-alpha", my hyphen.

for developers only, or alpha testers. using it would be like taking a motor vehicle from the ford assembly line that was at the stage of chassis and seat, rolling it and jumping in and going downhill only to find at the bottom that the brakes have yet to be installed.

i will pick up with this post soon, but i have to rest my arm and shoulder for a while

wizard

Vrai, I got the wvdial to install from terminal, yet I can't figure out how to enter into it's configuration the needed phone number, user login, and password. If I could get to a GUI I could do that, yet again the terminal is a challenge. I did crawl around in there trying to figure out the proper commands but failed. It did initialize the modem but the message 'no valid phone number configuration' etc, is the only issue evidently, even though I can't find the program in the machine. I'll have to get to hispeed again before I can download the UNetBootin. Then I'll make another Mint Live usb and the ability to save things may make all the difference. If you, or anyone else, can assist me with the commands to configure wvdial, that would be great. Thanks again for your efforts.
Some interesting information from the <wvdial> man page:
wvdial is normally run without command line options, in which case it
reads its configuration from the [Dialer Defaults] section of
/etc/wvdial.conf. (The configuration file is described in more detail
in wvdial.conf(5) manual page.)
...and from the <wvdialconf> man page:
wvdialconf is completely non-interactive. You still need to edit /etc/wvdial.conf to specify the phone number, login name, and password of your internet account in order for wvdial(1) to work.

There is some very good info in the man pages of;
wvdial
wvdialconf
and
wvdial.conf.

I looked at the <pppd> man page but it looks a little overwhelming.

I think @wizardfromoz 's suggestion regarding gnome-ppp is probably the best route to follow at this time.

Vrai, thank you for the assistance. If I could enter the phone # etc from terminal, it should work as it was communicating with the modem and evidently sending out data as it said valid phone # etc not configured. I have a gppp tar file and a gppp-prealpha.tar file on another usb. I'll try again next hispeed connection to get gppp pkg again, yet don't know how to get it from usb to Mint. I'll try to find the manual pages. to I enter wvdial in terminal and man, what is command to get man for wvdial specific? Will work that today. If I could get the grub boot in the proper place, I think the drive partition configuration is workable to install Mint. When the grub fails, and I have to go to 'Repair Disk' to get windows back, I think it reassigns the boot flag to the sda2 Windows partition. If i could install the grub to the proper partition all the issues would clear. Any thoughts on that from you or anyone? Thanks so much for your continued efforts. It would be insurmountable without the guidance you all provide. I am very grateful.
How do you edit wvdial config? I'll read the manual pages if I can find them, but if I had the language input it would be helpful.

Members online