Easiest package to install on Acer Aspire V5-571

DaveM

Reaction score
Credits
I want to install linux on an Acer Aspire V5-571. I recently sort of had to wipe the disk on this laptop for a friend of mine. So I will be installing linux onto a blank hard drive. I installed a version of linux years ago on another laptop I had but then it had power plug problems.
The reason I am looking for the easiest install is I recall spending a significant amount of time getting my wifi connection working on the other laptop. I am hoping to find something that is fairly easy to install without having to do a lot of research to find the correct packages to add to the installation to get it to connect to the internet after the install.
Thanks

I want to install linux on an Acer Aspire V5-571. I recently sort of had to wipe the disk on this laptop for a friend of mine. So I will be installing linux onto a blank hard drive. I installed a version of linux years ago on another laptop I had but then it had power plug problems.
The reason I am looking for the easiest install is I recall spending a significant amount of time getting my wifi connection working on the other laptop. I am hoping to find something that is fairly easy to install without having to do a lot of research to find the correct packages to add to the installation to get it to connect to the internet after the install.
Thanks

Hi @DaveM, and welcome! I love easy questions! :D

Of course, you may get many opinions.... but many will also agree that anything in the Ubuntu family should provide an easy install and in most cases find your wireless hardware. But the Ubuntu family is also very large, so that too gives you many choices.

My own personal favorite is Linux Mint... using either the Cinnamon or MATE desktop. They just don't get much easier than these editions. But if you have any trouble, what I find on the Acer model you provided also seems like it will run anything comfortably.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply and your input. I was considering the Mint but the only experience I had (probably 4 years ago) was with a version of ubuntu.

Members online